Hamilton Bay Area Walleye Restoration Meeting Jan 17th.

Fish Farmer

On the CH News last night there was concern for the increased amount of sewage going into the bay , especially after rains . As the population grows the sewage plants cannot handle the extra sewage and must be upgraded .  I hope this doesn't undo all the hard work that has been done to clean up this bay .  Of course , every city has these growing concerns and anglers would like to know our fish are safe to consume .

Thanks for the update FF .....I hope to try some ice fishing there when conditions are right .

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

On the CH News last night there was concern for the increased amount of sewage going into the bay , especially after rains . As the population grows the sewage plants cannot handle the extra sewage and must be upgraded .  I hope this doesn't undo all the hard work that has been done to clean up this bay .  Of course , every city has these growing concerns and anglers would like to know our fish are safe to consume .

Thanks for the update FF .....I hope to try some ice fishing there when conditions are right .

Thanks Smerch, yes I did read that in the paper.

They have been upgrading the Woodward plant and hopefully will help in the future.

Still the major bad one is in Dundas, that plant needs big upgrades.

Lets hope we get ice this year in the Bay, I walk out near the Leander yacht club, we may meet up someday.

That's awesome to hear... a few years back I was part of a walleye restoration program where we electro fished with the mnr... took DNA samples... lip tagged...pit tagged....moved fish above a dam...and used some fish for samples for hatchery stock..where we raised fry in a pond then transported the fingerlings to the designated stocking area... it was a great feeling to spend a couple years giving back to our local fishery

1 hour ago, Mike Pike said:

Now with the walleye beginning to establish themselves, the Harbour is truly becoming a 4 season playground. 

Sure, there's a looooong way to go and lots of work left, but the harbour is miles ahead of where it was when I was a kid.

When I was a younger guy Port Dalhousie was also a sewage pit .....some of the stuff floating in the harbour would make a hooker blush . I don't know how any fish could survive in that cesspool .  Much of it was from 5 or 6 paper mills which used the old lock canals ,  root beer river & 12 Mile creek.  I would never think that we would be catching trout and salmon at Port Dal.  As the population steadily grows we need to upgrade our sewer systems .  Remember this each time we turn our taps on .....

FF....Thanks for the info where to get on the ice , and I assume parking a few dozen vehicles would be no problem .....any "out houses"  close by  ?   :unsure:...:huh:...:pardon:

18 hours ago, smerchly said:

When I was a younger guy Port Dalhousie was also a sewage pit .....some of the stuff floating in the harbour would make a hooker blush . I don't know how any fish could survive in that cesspool .  Much of it was from 5 or 6 paper mills which used the old lock canals ,  root beer river & 12 Mile creek.  I would never think that we would be catching trout and salmon at Port Dal.  As the population steadily grows we need to upgrade our sewer systems .  Remember this each time we turn our taps on .....

FF....Thanks for the info where to get on the ice , and I assume parking a few dozen vehicles would be no problem .....any "out houses"  close by  ?   :unsure:...:huh:...:pardon:

There's lots of free parking where you walk on. You'll see the ice boats parked on the ice. as for a out house , nothing around, only place you'd find a washroom would be at the Williams Coffee House at pier 8.

There's the part people don't see...being a volunteer for almost 5 years when the walleye restoration project I was involved in was taking place....all the volunteer hours...the clean up....the habitat restoration that goes into it before a single fish benefits from it......then there are stocking efforts after it is deemed to be suitable habitat...those of you who get to pull up....find an easy access fishing hole ....hop on the internet for locations...pointers ect....have no idea what goes into it....a few members here do...I know smerch can appreciate it for example as it was his son whom I was involved doing it with along with a few of the old nfn members.....3 conservation clubs...and happy to say...that particular effort was a success and far reached its goal...... now imagine the effort involved in this project........I myself totally appreciated and applaud these efforts....so no offence but all of the non locals to these areas who log on to sites like this.....mark some directions down on the GPS....pull up as you toss your timmies cup on the ground should appreciate the effort and countless man hours that made this possible...and also that it only takes a few idiots to get it taken away.........who knows...next fish you catch may be the result of a direct effort from someone on this very site......I know I appreciate it and all the effort that goes into a sport we all love.....here's an example.....those of you who landed a nice trout in port d...... thanks to the game and fish...you may be casting beside someone who had a direct hand in putting that fish in your net instead of waiting for the report on when they where pumping them out of a truck into the harbor and driving on down......a restoration project in hammy harbor is a huge undertaking......again thanks for the post.....and all the effort involved..who knows I may have you to thank for the next trophy I catch

True stuff JW .... I was involved with the salmon fry for a few years at Port Dal....interesting stuff watching them grow so fast in the pens ,even though I haven't fished for salmon in decades . My son Dan is still doing a great job with the nesting boxes for wood ducks....many stories to tell about the owls or bees that took over the boxes .

We now have the ever growing threat of new technology to find fish , spots, and techniques . Fish finders now show live movement , we have GPS , way points , underwater cameras , self hook set rigs for ice fishing , and of course the WWW .  with thousands of You Tube videos , Iphones , Twitter , Facebook , & can live stream a video from the middle of Lake Timbucktoo  showing your exact location and netting that big one .  The new kid on the block is the drone which can visit me on the lake or shore to see how I'm rigging my minnow ......anyone want to buy some way points ??   :pardon:

My biggest concern as many of us here know is garbage , specifically FISHING LINE .  The butts and Tim cups don't bother me anymore as it's a lost cause . I have a good picture of an insane amount of fishing line on shore,  glistening from the sunshine  but can't post it over thumbnail size..... It would take a good raking to gather it up . As JWL said , it only takes a few or few dozen to spoil it for all the decent anglers who respect our environment .

It's great to have cleaner water , healthy fish but our shores also need some tlc as well .  Maybe one day the MNR will have a big fleet of drones to catch the nimrods who don't care........Too all the people who do care and take part in stocking/restoring our natural resources ....:worthy:   to you  !

29 minutes ago, weedliner said:

I was down there today and last week with the boat and did not see any walleye yet.Marked  lots of fish on the finder but when I lowered my camera all I saw were carp. 

That's nice  ......:D

.....also wondering if there are a lot of gobies in the bay .  Many feel they are no longer a threat since the bass, walters , perch & pike feed on them ....but they also steal my minnows ! 

These people can carry all this garbage down to the waters edge with them yet they dont take the empty containers ,wrappers etc,away when they leave .so simple to put a couple grocery bags in your fishing bag ,tackle box or pocket and pick up the garbage when you leave.ive yelled at a few people about it Leaving their worm containers and coffee cups .one time a guy left 3 beer cans and while he was walking away i said hey u got a quarter i can bum off you and he said no so i said if you pick up your cans and takem the the beerstore youd have one 😜he wasnt thrilled but he tookem

• 4 weeks later...

Archived