Deep h2o float fishing

smerchly

I have fished the rec with a float many years ago & want to do it again since methods have changed with new baits & tackle , etc.  I used an 8' salmon spinning rod which had larger guides to allow the float stop to pass through easier . I set the string stopper at 25' to 30 ' approx . & used a large wood float about the size of a hot dog which was heavy enough to cast to the middle of the canal.

That was my pike float fishing gear ( 30# floro leader & 3"chubs ) . I would like to use this method for perch as well except I would want lighter gear  .....any ideas on what rod/float combo would work well in the deep water ?   I don't like those little rubber stoppers , them seem to catch the guides too much ....maybe a short 7' rod would be better .....

I

That's how I fish in there when using bait.....I just use med light gear with a decent size float to still get it out there...8lbs test line average I use for everything.. if I hook a  big fish then Yahoo....deal with the fight at the time...uts fun pulling a decent sized pike out of there from 20 ft down..lol...I run a bead on my line so that it helps the bobber stop......I use a piece of dental floss tied to my line with a couple tight knots in it as my stop.....that way having oversized eyes on a heavier rod is not a factor........

I've been wrestling with the same problem Smerch.  The tiny rubber float stop is good for some rods but not others.  My one rod which has great castability in such situations unfortunately has a really small diameter guide at the tip.  Honestly, the stop going through it during the cast sounds( and feels )like a car crash!  Ok, a little exaggeration perhaps but you know what I mean.  Jack, your suggestion of the dental floss sounds interesting, though, and I'm gonna give it a try.  Thanks.  

Mike ....I was experimenting with 2 types of dental floss yesterday ( in my basement)  & I tried using various knots with 2 to 5 loops on 10# mono , but I found it didn't grip tightly . I use a pencil marker on the line when fishing deep water to make sure the stopper doesn't slide after going through the guides .  Any stopper will hold better on braid line . I have a huge ball of string I use for hair rig stoppers ...works great , also used thin elastics as well . Maybe a little Vaseline on the guides would help,    and we both know using our carp rods would never be a problem with those large guides .

Never tried it but using a casting reel may work better since the line twists off from spinning reels .....

Use the thill nylon stoppers or look up bobber stop 'nail knot'. Its a knot some old steelheaders used for floatfishing before stoppers were popular commercially. Then just trim it closely as possible. Like was mentioned earlier a small bead is needed with either method

try the thin rubber strings from a spinnerbait...you can buy just the skirt at a tackle shop......half hitches will work. I still have some of the old whisker style string silencers....they are a little stronger than the skirts but you may find some heavier skirts

I have used very thin elastic tied with one loop knot , very tightly to the breaking point ....grips the mono quite nicely . I'm going to try spraying the guides with Pam , or WD40 , etc. ,  to help the stopper whizz through the guides .  

Guys. I take a drill bit a little bit smaller than the top of the float shaft and drill a pocket about  an eighth in or so deep. Then i stick a small glass bead in the pocket. Never need glue if the right size just a press fit! I make stop knots on two plastic drink straws (small, black ones). I always leave about a half in. when i trim the knot so u can pull to retighten if necesary! Works great! 

Neat idea Gil ,  need a steady hand to drill into the float stop ....maybe a dab of glue would keep the bead in place permanently . ( making sure the holes are open & lined up ) . 

I like keeping the bead loose.... that way when the bead is on top of my float I know I have reached my bobber stop depth... if my bead doesn't settle on my float I know my line didn't sink properly

16 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

I like keeping the bead loose.... that way when the bead is on top of my float I know I have reached my bobber stop depth... if my bead doesn't settle on my float I know my line didn't sink properly

I just check to make sure the float stop string is sitting on top of the float Jack . Using bright coloured string helps to see it easily .

....wondering if the rec. has iced over  or is still open water ......   :read:

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

I just check to make sure the float stop string is sitting on top of the float Jack . Using bright coloured string helps to see it easily .

....wondering if the rec. has iced over  or is still open water ......   :read:

Open water yesterday.

Thanks Gil , Genec .....still some time to try a float rig .  I don't like fishing in windy conditions with regular gear but I like some chop on the water to keep the bait moving , even if the minnow , etc. is dead . I have had better luck and the fish seem to hit the bait harder .....and you cover more bottom as well .( poor man downrigger)    B)

I bought some bright yellow dacron line from Peter's last year which is used for fly fishing ....fairly thin & easy to tie . I used a simple 2 loop knot on 20# mono and pulled it very tightly . It seems to grip very well & the knot is small .  It's soaking in a tub of water to see if it stays tight while wet .....also marked the line with black pencil marker .

One day I'll invent something and be super rich ....get me one of those high quality under water cameras that beeps when fish are within 10 ft. radius ....📺

I have a little 5.5 foot ultralight, I find medium size stops and bigger get caught in my eyes, doesn't matter if nylon or rubber, I usually buy the smallest nylon ones available, I also add a beads below the stop to prevent it from sliding through the float.

6 minutes ago, marth11 said:

I find medium size stops and bigger get caught in my eyes

Wear safety glasses Joe   B)  haha .     Yes a short rod shouldn't be a problem to allow the stop to pass through ....unless the tip eye is very small  . My 12' carp rod would allow a large stop to pass through very easily !  (good for big pike fishing) 

Another little trick when using floats is to have a tiny shot on the main line above the swivel in case the line breaks off at the hook or swivel . That will keep the float from slipping off as well .

Archived