Liscence renew

Jwl1

Wow they don't want to make it easy to get your liscence these days.....well except the computer world.....why tackle shops aren't allowed to sell them is kind of silly.... I think you should have to show a liscence to buy stuff.....would cut down on some poaching for sure....had to go to 2 different crappy tire stores to get mine.. .and what a great format they give you...a piece of paper....I don't know about you guys but I pretty much go fishing where there is water 🤪... so paper makes sense right.... 🤔.... anyways time to get out there and get my money and hassle worth out of it for the year

I was told they don't issue stickers for your card anymore...so if ya gotta card that's still good....the paper is what you get now

Canadian Tire opted out of the license program, and I can understand why.  Firend went through the hassle with his tackle store.

Couple years back they started a new computerized license system. Complex and expensive to run. 2 years later they change the system, with costly upgrades. My friend's technogeek spent the better part of a week installing the new system into the store's POS.  More time and money down the toilet.

4 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Paper is most likely a temp copy so you can fish now. You should get a card in the mail.

You still need the yellow paper they give you, that’s your license the card is only an outdoors card unless you get the 3 year and they print the license on the back of the card. 

We should have lifetime licenses like the states and it gets printed on your drivers license.  One card for everything....  

Yep.. supposed to carry the new paper with your card...there is no sticker and nothing going to be sent in the mail....at least your temp liscence used to be on a light plastic type paper....now it's just paper.

And the license system is probably sourced from the USA. .........like the hunting licenses. Glad I don't need one anymore.

Local tackle shop I use gives you a plastic slip one side paper licence, one side card with their logo on it when you buy a license.  Keeps everything neat and easy. Also seems to be the only place left nowadays that gives you a paper copy of the new reg's with your license. Most places nowadays couldn't care less because theres no money in it for them

On 1/2/2019 at 4:52 PM, Jwl1 said:

Yep.. supposed to carry the new paper with your card...there is no sticker and nothing going to be sent in the mail....at least your temp liscence used to be on a light plastic type paper....now it's just paper.

Got mine from crappy in welland,  the girl said the yellow wallet size copy would be here in a week or so. 

Well you guys are lucky then...Haha..  I was told in st kitts the paper is it..nothing in the mail...I put it in a plastic bag for tomorrow's mission 🐟

On 1/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Jwl1 said:

Our local shops aren't allowed to sell them... we have one ct location or online as our only options

Basspro sells them. Should be able to get them at Service Ontario

On 1/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Jwl1 said:

Our local shops aren't allowed to sell them... we have one ct location or online as our only options

3 hours ago, bigugli said:

Basspro sells them. Should be able to get them at Service Ontario

Let me get this straight.....Peter's Tackle & Grimsby Tackle aren't "allowed" to sell FISHING licenses , but a big AMERICAN company who owns Tracker Boats & Cabella's , can sell Canadian  licenses ?  Our local shops would benefit from selling them ....no need to explain why ....

There is a thing about distribution territories that used to come into play.  For instance, Grimsby home Hardware used to sell the licenses and the Canadian Tire in Grimsby could not. Ct's in St Catharines had the franchise, within a specific area, and that used to exclude Peter's.  At least that was how it was explained to me by people within the Ministry. Same rules as a retail franchise like Timmies or MacD's. The owner of a franchise holds rights to a specific retail territory.

Thanks Bruce .  In this case an American company overrules our smaller local shops .

Steellie ,  I think they make a few bucks for their time , but by getting a license buyer into the store I'm sure they would buy some tackle , etc. And it may be that the small shops don't want to sell licences..... 

It would be convenient for us anglers who patronize Grimsby & Pete's shops .  I would have of list of stuff to buy like spooling up a reel ,etc. while I was in there .

Ya, I'm thinking like you Smerch.  Tackle Shops would always choose to be licence renewal places even if they don't make anything directly from them.  Indirectly,  there would be some tackle purchased when someone comes in to renew their licence, more often than not.  I think it's a competitive advantage every shop would want.   

If I am running a store and need to pay for the computer equipment for the licenses ... I want territory rights to an area to ensure I recoup costs and encouraging people to buy other items while visit for their license needs.  If I need to outlay money for the printing of the papers for licenses and I get no territory rights ... I probably don't want a part (but it would all depend on how expensive the system is) ... I guarantee you it is not a $800 Best Buy special.

This is how the BIG players have the advantage with the $$$ to buy /use technology to eliminate competition (buy out) and corner the "market" .  I liked some of the old ways of doing business , like writing info on a piece of paper & walking out with a license . The store kept the "carbon copy"   :). Try phoning a big company these days , and wait , and wait .....after 10 minutes , while they are playing another tune , I just hang up .  Call your small local tackle shop & get answered in seconds , call the big stores and wait  and wait......There's a lot to be said about the old ways we did things....including the way we fished without all the electronic devices . 

You are right bill.... I'm more for doing things the "old" way... I dont do online banking... shopping.. ect.... I find for example... the local tackle shops have exactly what i am looking for... the big box stores have a rack of shiny stuff designed to look flashy for the people who buy the stuff for the people who do the fishing... heck I'm online here on my phone...might add that i wouldn't even have it if my old flip phone didn't die a couple months ago....glad i did because it got me back in contact with some of you on here.....i can do without electronics for fishing.. I put my time on and around the water the old fashioned way.. by doing it...lol...not relying on getting GPS coordinates from someone...punching a couple buttons and finding a fish..... I have had some of my best meals on the road at little mom and pop roadsides.....ect.....its funny the more people rely on technology the more idiots there are out there... lazy...no patience.... no people skills....a good example is what started this thread...something you think would be as simple as walking in a store and buying a fishing license 🤪

I created an account and bought the license online.
https://www.huntandfishontario.com/
Converted a license .pdf file they emailed to me after purchasing into a .jpg image and transfer it to my smartphone.
Fast and very convenient way. If URL is not working try it in the early morning/night hours

OFAH (Zone J) will be at the Niagara Outdoor Show. I was told this week by Kathy Moore (coordinator) that they will have a laptop/printer at their booth if someone needs to buy a licence. Credit card or cash but she's working on debit. Bring your expired card to save time on data entry...Sunday, March 10.

Archived