Summer Fishing Highlights

honeyv

It's been a while since I've posted last.  I  moved out of the Niagara region a bit ago. Since I've been back I've been doing a lot of fishing  in Welland on the rec canal which is a new body of water to me. I wanted to share some highlights from the summer that I just put into a little video. A lot of these are from the Welland Rec Canal where the fishing has been hot. The pike are from my first time at Valens Lake. They weren't very big but boy were they beautiful! 

https://youtu.be/voRjoIY5Wnw

Thanks for sharing....cool assortment of summer fish....nice on the video... I can't even figure out how to post a pic yet..Haha...still some good fishing to be had at the rec.. just gotta go deep..winter stays like this you be able to get the kayak out soon..lol

Yeah no kidding eh. I have been dreaming about bringing the kayak out we've had some nice days and tomorrow might be a good one. However speaking of the rec canal I heard there's some decent-sized Pike in there I might have to lay off the bass and try some bucktails for Pike one day. 

I live in welland and fish the rec all summer amongst other places,  only ever had bass from there. 

If it's pike or muskie you're after I've seen quite a few decent sized ones in the river at the aqueduct,  never managed to get one though but only fished from shore so far.

Main aim for 2019 is to get myself a nice little kayak,  closer to the time hopefully you could give me some tips on the best one to choose. 

Cheers,  Nate. 

3 hours ago, Limey said:

I live in welland and fish the rec all summer amongst other places,  only ever had bass from there. 

If it's pike or muskie you're after I've seen quite a few decent sized ones in the river at the aqueduct,  never managed to get one though but only fished from shore so far.

Main aim for 2019 is to get myself a nice little kayak,  closer to the time hopefully you could give me some tips on the best one to choose. 

Cheers,  Nate. 

Hey Nate,  

It's true. The Rec Canal is a total bass Factory. I've been to the Welland River probably twice this year and got skunked each time. 

Shore fishing is fun, but as far as kayaks go as long as you're on a good drift it's way better than Shore fishing. As far as advice goes on a kayak, mine isn't anything special. It's no Hobie or anyhing lol... I got it cheap at Hart when it was on sale and I rigged it up to be what I want it to be. I ordered rod holders from Amazon and installed the myself, and I also installed the fish finder for depth and structure. There are some fishing kayaks on the market, but I didn't see any point in paying $100 extra for it when I could get super cheap things on Amazon and install it myself. However it to each their own.

If you want though, they rent Kayaks for super cheap in the summertime for only $12/hour. If you go to Valens or any other Conservation Area there's a good chance that they rent Kayaks there too.

Try the Jordan Harbour Conservation Park ....they rent canoes , etc.  (good fishing)

Outdoors Oriented has a spring canoe/kayak day at Charles Daily Park to introduce  beginners to kayyak /canoeing .....

3 hours ago, smerchly said:

Try the Jordan Harbour Conservation Park ....they rent canoes , etc.  (good fishing)

Outdoors Oriented has a spring canoe/kayak day at Charles Daily Park to introduce  beginners to kayyak /canoeing .....

I did know about that with Outdoors oriented! Thanks for the reminder. They do that every year and I've been meaning to check it out because like I said my kayak is basic and I'm wanting to get into like more of a sit on top

1 hour ago, riverfisher22 said:

nice fish. cute pups

Thanks! They make awesome fishing buds. Lol 

Archived