Drinking, Driving, and Returning Empties.

Snags

Well this is just f**ked!

Returning bottles to the Beer Store? Beware of possible breath test by police

Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home

I am all for eliminating drinking and driving within reason, but with how we seem to be going, you can't even have a beer in your own house now.

Before anyone screams THAT WILL BE DEFEATED IN COURT or IT IS AGAINST OUR FREEDOMS ... read both articles and think about the consequences.  I enjoy a few different beers, most nights having one or two beers at home before calling it a night, so last night I went out with a buddy, we had a drink, shot the sh*t, and I went off to home where I cracked another two before bed ... so that would have been three pints in about 2.5 hours.  Or nights where I am staying in and watching the hockey game ... depending on how the Leafs are playing (or giving me anxiety), I may have upwards of six while watching the game ...

If I had someone with a vendetta against me, they could have called the cops HE WAS DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED and it is up to myself to prove otherwise ... the engine would be warm as the car is in a garage, I definitely would be over the limit (since they can account for time in their calculations) and such ... Now the question is what happens if you choose to not answer your door?  Well I am sure they would be able to obtain a warrant, just a matter of if it falls into the two hour window.

So in time the case would make it to the courts, where I imagine it would eventually be overturned but life as I know it would be over, there would have been the license suspension, which means my job is terminated since I require a valid license for it, I would basically be unemployable since my name would be out there as being caught drinking and driving, and you can't erase The Google.  Regardless of the trial outcome, anyone going through a hiring process has their name googled at some point or another, and the first few results are all they look at.  BUT THAT ISN'T RIGHT/FAIR ... prove it in court that you were the best candidate and they discriminated against you ... unless you know the rest of the talent pool ... you have no clue and won't be able to, or you have deep pockets that can afford the fight.

A coworker just got back from Poland where you can't operate a  vehicle with any alcohol in your system and it is obvious we are going that way, but the infrastructure of public transit is not growing enough, the bus system in Niagara is a joke, taxis cost a small fortune to go across the city, and if you choose to use an unlicensed cab, the wait time can be hours.  I love to have a beer or two with friends, especially if we go out for dinner, but I will now be sticking to ice tea as it is not worth the hassle to even think about.  Probably much less going out and more staying in now.  If I lived in the GTA where the public transit is better, a whole different world.

At the end of the day, driving is a privilege, but the real dangers are still out there with all you @$$holes who run the red lights, speed, and/or drive those e-bikes that are unlicensed.  The roads are far from slick but there is some snow out there ... motorcycles seen today while driving ... 0 ... @$$holes on e-bikes who are ignoring all traffic rules ... 3.

Dont get me started on the e bike thing... I have a motorcycle.... and when one of these e f@$%#s roll up on the inside right of the lane and look at me and nod like they are cool or something I generally have something not so nice to yell at them.. Haha... number of drinks while I am out on the bike = 0.... but yet you see these e @#$%s... stumble into the beer store with a garbage bag full of cans strapped to the back....a couple cases of bottles under thier feet...and whatever kind of contraption they can find for a trailer... go in grab a case of beer...put it under thier feet.. then so called drive away drinking the tall can they got with the spare change...where are they going?.. yep..you guessed it...right into the same traffic any of us can be nin...not following the rules.....no insurance....and drinking....no liscence to get taken away ect....what happens when they cause a crash.?... just gets my goat because as a motorcycle rider I already have to be extra cautious out there.... I pay my fair share of insurance over the years.....what do you think the cops would do if I was riding down the road sitting on a case of beer... pulling a shopping cart with a kid between my knees????.... there would be a whole slew of charges that's for sure...as for impaired driving in general... simply not worth the consequences ..I'm one of those guys if I go out for 1.... I'm having 10... lol..but also lucky to have a woman who doesn't drink so always have a DD..

Here's a crazy idea. Get hundreds of people calling up the cop shop, not 911, and tell them you are about to have a few drinks, and just want to make sure no one has called in about you.

As crazy as this idea is, it would create change lol.  Of course I'm against drinking and driving, but the laws have got too suppressive.  One is now taking a chance having a drink with a meal while eating out. May as well have alcohol free weddings and other such functions. Sports bars will be a no no. IMO these laws are getting too extreme.    PAPERS PLEASE is where we are heading.

This is somewhat fishing related ... I have picked up more than a few beer bottles that were still in one piece at some fishing holes . I don't think these new laws will stand up in court and will be revised . One reason for the home "intrusion"  breath samples is this :   There have been more hit and runs lately ....seems to be the thing to do , even if one is killed by a drunk driver . .....leave the scene and head for home . If  the cops show up at your door , have a quick shot of booze & have the bottle sitting on a table for the police to observe .  "Officer , I panicked & drove home (sober of course) & had a few shots to settle my nerves"  .....hard to prove the guy was over the line after fleeing to his house . Maybe this is one reason for the new laws. As mentioned , many like to have a drink or two .....or 10 when dining out , going to a game or party . We cannot enjoy ourselves without getting boozed up or drugged up and the cops can't be everywhere .....so innocent people (kids) will die on our roads . The only solution would be zero drugs or alcohol in ones blood while driving . We have designated drivers , taxis , buses , call friends , etc. I like a beer sure , and one is enough with my meal or after dinner treat .

Don't forget too that the MNR has powers to search your fridge/freezer at home or your camp trailer /cottage .....more power than the opp in those cases . We have to do "something " more to keep the drunks and stoners off our roads ......and yes , those ebikes need to be licensed and insured with strong safety codes as well ....time to upgrade ! 

We are a society that likes to drink , do drugs and gamble ......it's a huge money maker for our governments , and they do their share of encouraging us to do just that ! They can take much of the blame for all the deaths incurred from the vices.  The "easy" way out to cut down on accidents is the zero tolerance .....and maybe that's what they have in mind . Personally , it wouldn't bother me at all . I have seen the results during my 75 years... in my family & friends who cannot comment on this from their graves . It's obvious , our present rules do not have enough impact to keep drunks/druggies off our roads . These new laws will be "tweaked" I'm sure ,  or we could just increase the fines/jail time/vehicle confiscation/insurance rates dramatically . Drive safely !

I.m against drinking and driving but our rights are going by by fast Its 2019 and we can put a stop to this crap if we don.t you won.t even be able to go to the store  without  the chance of being pulled over just to have a breath test .All this crap came up after all them people got there wish for legalization of pot there is going to be more then half of ONT being at  risk if you have a drink the next morning you still have the smell of booze on your breath if you smoke pot once or twice a week or even a month it takes a month for it to leave your system .I hope it as worth it

This is abuse of power and against the charter no matter how you look at it.  All authoritarian governments and police states in the past have said it's for the common good and look what history has shown us.  It starts with the small things like this. 

By adding "recreational"  weed to the pot , they  keep making policing more complicated .  They failed at curbing it's usage so "if you can't beat them,   join'em" , and rake in billions of pesos . So ,   between  booze , drugs and Iphone usage I don't exactly feel safer on the roads . I think I need a bigger truck !  Canada-Marijuana-Green-246x148.png   Our new flag ....going green    :)

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

By adding "recreational"  weed to the pot , they  keep making policing more complicated .  They failed at curbing it's usage so "if you can't beat them,   join'em" , and rake in billions of pesos . So ,   between  booze , drugs and Iphone usage I don't exactly feel safer on the roads . I think I need a bigger truck !  Canada-Marijuana-Green-246x148.png   Our new flag ....going green    :)

Everyone just needs to be a lil greener and The world would be a happy place. 

They are already doing it here in st kitts.....me and the other half just went out to do our usual weekend errands...we just so happened to be loading up some empties.the neighbour's friend was outside and told us we should watch out and that our neighbor just got pulled over leaving the beer store.......funny thing is she doesn't even drink...she was getting it for her husband.....apparently they where pulling all the cars over that left the parking lot....... what's next.....sit at the exit of every bar and before you can leave blow into the breathalyzer?....pinch on the spot soon as you start you car....lol......I dont in any way shape condone impaired driving...but then what..... hold the drinking establishment liable for overserving everyone......Haha....like before you step in the bar....you have to step on a scale...get weighed...then you get a ticket to hand the bartender the amount of drinks you can have before you are "legally impaired "

Watch out when you exit Walmart , they sell beer now !  I have seen drunks getting more beer at the beer stores . They might be the police targets . But it would make more sense to check drivers coming from the pubs . ...like a ride check . It would be a good idea for pubs, etc. to have a breathalyzer machine on premises , could save patrons a lot of grief . We don't need drivers who are half corked while texting with a joint in their lips ......

3 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Best idea is making Trudeau a drama teacher again this year.

He's still teaching "drama" Dave.....don't be surprised to see him keep his job as he "stacks the deck" in his drama school . 

Come "drama day" ....my fishing poles get some extra activity  rain or shine .    :Gonefishing: 

2 minutes ago, smerchly said:

He's still teaching "drama" Dave.....don't be surprised to see him keep his job as he "stacks the deck" in his drama school . 

Come "drama day" ....my fishing poles get some extra activity  rain or shine .    :Gonefishing: 

Importing more Liberals because Canadians won't vote for him https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/canada-plans-to-admit-over-1-million-new-immigrants/ar-BBS7qTC?li=AAggNb9

You got it Dave  !   Bringing in another million drama votes , will  insure we never see a change in government both federally & provincial . Smart  hombre eh ?

Add to that... the Chinese "absorption" of Canada and no manufacturing jobs , we Canucks will have LOTS of time to fish ....

Can you believe the price increases ?  ....went shopping today to get some nuts ....some priced at $6.80/100 gms.....using metric when handy instead of  $40 lb. Veggies are sky high now and will increase much more as our local "green"houses stop growing vegs.& flowers to produce "the weed" . .....any soup/tea recipes for  "wildwood weed"?  B)

14 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Wildwood weed grew down on the farm......but we never knowed what it was called.................🙈🙉🙊

I'm sure I heard you play this 1974 song on yer guitar  Jack ......    🎸

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjlxIcu8AM

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

You got it Dave  !   Bringing in another million drama votes , will  insure we never see a change in government both federally & provincial . Smart  hombre eh ?

Add to that... the Chinese "absorption" of Canada and no manufacturing jobs , we Canucks will have LOTS of time to fish ....

Can you believe the price increases ?  ....went shopping today to get some nuts ....some priced at $6.80/100 gms.....using metric when handy instead of  $40 lb. Veggies are sky high now and will increase much more as our local "green"houses stop growing vegs.& flowers to produce "the weed" . .....any soup/tea recipes for  "wildwood weed"?  B)

Most greenhouses stopped growing veggies years ago. Unless you have 10 acres or more, state of the art, under glass, it does not pay. Whole price for a tomato is the same as it was 20 years back, but fuel costs alone have tripled. The bigger food crisis is that newer generations will not take up  the 12 hr a day, 7 day a week, farming lifestyle.

Right Bruce.....we lose our food farms we pay big for imported food We can't compete with countries that don't have the winters we have here . There was a time when buying veggies , etc. making meals from scratch was cheap but time consuming .  We bought a Delicio frozen pizza today (rising crust & loaded with goodies) for $4.44 . We get 2 meals each from that pizza .....can't make it at home for that .   Saw lettuce at $3 a head ....nope !  The farmers can't get local help as we know , & must bring people in from other countries .....how fortunate we are to be so well off .  I bought my first car by picking fruit & berries and hoeing out weeds etc. oat local farms ..... look back fondly at those times.

.....but I don't think they will have trouble finding young people working the pot farms.......:rolleyes:

Archived