2-stroke backtrolling problem

Outdoorz

I like to backtroll on the Niagara river but my 35hp 2-stroke Evinrude doesn't seem to love spending prolonged time at low/idle speed rpm's. Recently, 15-minutes doing this on a long drift fouled the plugs and I couldn't restart. I've replaced the plugs (which was way overdue) but I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem with larger 2-strokes? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had that problem with my 40 mariner magnum and once i started using hightest gas and using sea foam in it i havnt had that problem since .but id say u probably need the carbs (jets cleaned) .make sure u have the proper plugs in and are gapped properly as well.good luck!

Where the plugs fouled black or white?...depends if you burning too much gas...or oil... might have to tweak the carb a bit...and idle up a bit higher.... also running with choke open a bit until the motor warms up could be a factor...remember its cold out so it takes a long time for the motor to warm up so your fuel is already not burning off as good as it should....... little tip... you would probably catch more fish if you weren't running your gas motor through the drift... 😁

I have that problem with my 115 Johnson 2 stroke (not trolling but at lower speeds).  Use good gas, make sure your oil mix is good. Put is in neutral and give it more rpm every once in a while to clean it out.   

21 hours ago, fishingking said:

I had that problem with my 40 mariner magnum and once i started using hightest gas and using sea foam in it i havnt had that problem since .but id say u probably need the carbs (jets cleaned) .make sure u have the proper plugs in and are gapped properly as well.good luck!

Thanks! I haven't heard of sea foam, I'll check that out! Will also be more exact on my oil measurements and I'll try some premium fuel, especially now that the price is low and give some attention to the carb. I appreciate this!

21 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Where the plugs fouled black or white?...depends if you burning too much gas...or oil... might have to tweak the carb a bit...and idle up a bit higher.... also running with choke open a bit until the motor warms up could be a factor...remember its cold out so it takes a long time for the motor to warm up so your fuel is already not burning off as good as it should....... little tip... you would probably catch more fish if you weren't running your gas motor through the drift... 😁

They were black, coated in gas and oil. Plus the electrodes aren't just pitted, they're eaten away quite a bit by the arc 😲 A good example of what NOT to do lol. Anyway, i installed new plugs and it starts just fine now. Will change the plugs each season and carry a spare set just in case. Good tips on idle and warming it well, thanks.

As for motor on through a drift, I agree and only use my trolling motor when drift fishing, but the outboard has to be on to backtroll 👍 and the backtroll is deadly ☠

20 hours ago, kgm said:

I have that problem with my 115 Johnson 2 stroke (not trolling but at lower speeds).  Use good gas, make sure your oil mix is good. Put is in neutral and give it more rpm every once in a while to clean it out.   

Thanks! Good tips, will do! 🙂

Great you got to the heart of the problem....always a good idea to carry extra plugs.....you will get residual fuel from running slow....its happened to all of us....and winter is a bit tougher...I had oil injection on my merc and that helped alot because it ran on supply and demand for oil gas ratio.....now you can get out there and put more steel in the boat!🐟

Archived