Jump to content


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Pretty sure I’ve tried them and they didn’t wanna stay on The hook. 

Damn.  Do you think roe mesh would work?  It was only a $5 bag, so I guess I could just open it and test it out. Lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’m sure the mesh would work.  Or scrap it all together and throw a raw shrimp on.  

Haha yeah. I'll try the mesh for this package since I have it now, and I'll try shrimp too. Very interested to see which works better.  I honestly never had a problem with old methods before, but for some reason I felt like trying something different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheap cheese cloth ... softer and more porous ....works for salmon roe as well .  You can also try that elastic string used for roe bags ....wind it around the bait several times ,then the hook shank & break it off .....or , just plain cotton thread used for sewing ,...comes in many colours too . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Cheap cheese cloth ... softer and more porous ....works for salmon roe as well .  You can also try that elastic string used for roe bags ....wind it around the bait several times ,then the hook shank & break it off .....or , just plain cotton thread used for sewing ,...comes in many colours too . 

I would have never thought that.  Cheese cloth... if it does whay you say, then that would make perfect sense. 

The sewing tread seems much easier though and I already have some! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. That's some really good advice! I could have easily seen myself getting pretty frustrated if I couldn't keep it on my hook. Can't wait to head out to the Grand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try em out tied up like a big roe bag....(I find all that Berkley power playdough stuff doesn't stay on the hook and dissipates fast in the water).... rig it up like the avid carp guys do like a boilie.....wet it first and give it a squish before you cast it out to ooze some of the bait outside the mesh.... then take little balls of it and chum up the water a bit around your line 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, honeyv said:

Thanks guys. That's some really good advice! I could have easily seen myself getting pretty frustrated if I couldn't keep it on my hook. Can't wait to head out to the Grand.

Please let us know  what worked for you honeyv  .   The cheese cloth is very cheap , might have it in the dollar stores . You can use cat food , liver ....any stinky stuff !   ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Please let us know  what worked for you honeyv  .   The cheese cloth is very cheap , might have it in the dollar stores . You can use cat food , liver ....any stinky stuff !   ^_^

This won't be in till I can get out with my kayak anyway so it might be a little bit of a wait for the report on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have seen the size of some cats I seen in the grand when I volunteered with the mnr a couple seasons electro fishing....hold the rod!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Should have seen the size of some cats I seen in the grand when I volunteered with the mnr a couple seasons electro fishing....hold the rod!!

Haha that's EXCATLY what I'm looking for!  The adrenalin you get from catching a really big fish and it pulls you while you're in the kayak is pretty awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

One of my best days on the water with my son was fishing cats in Jordan in the canoe. We were towed around a lot that 

Right on! I remember one time I hooked into a big pike while in a canoe.  That thing dragged me around so much. It dragged me away from the little Bay where I was fishing. When I finally got it in the net, this ass-hat in a speedboat just zoomed right by me creating the biggest wake. I was quite terrified that I could tip.

For some reason I feel so much more comfortable and stable in the kayak, so when I hook into a fish now there's a lot more confidence. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha.. that's funny man... I have had to "beach" myself before fishing from a canoe to land big fish....hang a rope off the side of your kayak with some bait on the end and you can be the float when you hook into a 30lber...lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Haha.. that's funny man... I have had to "beach" myself before fishing from a canoe to land big fish....hang a rope off the side of your kayak with some bait on the end and you can be the float when you hook into a 30lber...lol

LOL I don't know that I want to be a bobber. I were to hook into a big cat with that method the moment it hits it would probably feel like a ton of bricks hitting the kayak. I might not feel so stable after all. Besides... I NEED that Bend in the rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Bubba14 said:

One of my best days on the water with my son was fishing cats in Jordan in the canoe. We were towed around a lot that day!!

 

Knighfisher and I have also experienced the same at Jordan .  Those cats could pull his Sportspal half way across the bay  . I hooked a big carp at the dorsal fin there ....another long battle and a free tow job !  Also hooked into some big drum  and a 10# pike while canoe fishing there .  Look for the gars along the shorelines too ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Knighfisher and I have also experienced the same at Jordan .  Those cats could pull his Sportspal half way across the bay  . I hooked a big carp at the dorsal fin there ....another long battle and a free tow job !  Also hooked into some big drum  and a 10# pike while canoe fishing there .  Look for the gars along the shorelines too ...

Man...  a decent sized carp would also be fun. As a kid growing up in Toronto my brother and I would take the transit all the way to the Lakeshore and we'd fish for Pike. I remember this one time we were stopping for lunch and then we decided to walk along the break walls. We ended up seeing some of the biggest carp I've ever seen in my life to this date just cruising along. They must have been around 40 inches or something like that but with a giant tank carp bodies. Real hefty carp out there on Lake O... so I can imagine the size of the carp that could be out in Jordan Harbour. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My largest carp ever was caught at Jordan shore fishing with maize on a hair rig .  Carp can be caught at many shore spots along L.Ont. ....some very LARGE buggers . The Niag.River holds some of those L.Ont. beasties as well . I'll be taking my carp gear with me this year when we go to Deseronto .

 

......forgot to say (type)....the carp was a  "hair" over 30 lbs......largest yet to date . 

Edited by smerchly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, smerchly said:

My largest carp ever was caught at Jordan shore fishing with maize on a hair rig .  Carp can be caught at many shore spots along L.Ont. ....some very LARGE buggers . The Niag.River holds some of those L.Ont. beasties as well . I'll be taking my carp gear with me this year when we go to Deseronto .

They have a ton of space to forage and grow... that's for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the thrill hooking into a big fish in the Sportspal. The adrenaline is just a pumping. A lot of times you don't see the fish for a good five minutes or so. The sportspal is pretty much unsinkable, and you can stand in it as well. Best canoe for fishing, extremely stable with the flat bottom. The fun continues when you can't unhook the cat, carp, drum etc at the side of the canoe, so you have to bring it in, then at times all hell breaks loose :Gonefishing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya Dan.....don't need a 10 # pike full of snarly teeth flopping around you bare feet  . LOL  :unsure:

Channel cats, carp and drum ,aka sheepshead , sheephead , stone head , can be formidable scrappers ....great fun for kids (like me)   :santa:

I have bought my old 16ft. aluminum freighter square back canoe from an old fishing bud who can no longer enjoy fishing . It will hold a 1000 lb.moose . It need some TLC and I want to paint the outside , camo or maybe a bright red (to be seen or unseen)  on the water .....:ph34r:...For short runs , like Jordan (15 min.) I can load it inside my Astro (11 ft.inside) ...so much easier than the roof rack....need to keep front windows down to keep exhaust fumes out . Got a new elect.motor as well .

Might be useful now on the thin ice !   :nea::glare: ............... :pardon:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...