2018 in a nutshell

fredfisher

I kept a log of my entire year on the water and I wish I had done this from age 16 ! It’s never too late to start recording outings to use for future reference or even to keep a memory a little crisper. It contains valuable info such as location,hours on water,tackle selection,moon phases,wingers etc etc etc

i got out 57 times

shut out 14 times

one fish caught trips 4

limited out -2 on perch 4 on eyes.had wicked bass days but released all but two.

and fished with 12 different friends over the year.

if you don’t keep a journal or memoir you should! 

Fish-On for 2019!!

Right on..I did that since I was like 10 years old.....40 years later it still pays off...it really helped me learn the when..where..and what's for every species I set out to target....even helped today 

24 minutes ago, fredfisher said:

I kept a log of my entire year on the water and I wish I had done this from age 16 ! It’s never too late to start recording outings to use for future reference or even to keep a memory a little crisper. It contains valuable info such as location,hours on water,tackle selection,moon phases,wingers etc etc etc

i got out 57 times

shut out 14 times

one fish caught trips 4

limited out -2 on perch 4 on eyes.had wicked bass days but released all but two.

and fished with 12 different friends over the year.

if you don’t keep a journal or memoir you should! 

Fish-On for 2019!!

I do something similar with spots. I log them in a book. Access points for kayaking. Shore only spots...  

My dad used to do this. 

I quit the log book stuff about 2004 .....

That's when I joined NFN and get all the info I need .....

That's why I am a legend ..................own a Legend boat that is  ....   :P

Im planning on starting this. How in depth do you go? Feet of water, water temp, length and weight of fish caught? 

I just listened to a podcast where a coyote hunter did the same thing.  Really interesting stuff, he took notes on the weather, distance, time of day and a whole bunch more.  He sold over 3000 pelts into the fur market. 

For those like me who use a regular home pc ,  wouldn't it be better to keep your records in a notebook , then print it off if you want paper copies ?

I fish when the weather is decent ,  even when the winds are East .  Time at/on the water is gold .....

I used to keep tabs of water clarity. .depth...temp...weather.   wind direction...bait used and presentation...time of year....time of day.....incidental catches not targetted...shore or boat.... it really does help

That's a great idea Fred, you're way more organized than I am!

I used to keep a log book in the 80's as a teen, I'd draw maps and diagrams with different landmarks, as well as depth etc.,  to try to triangulate a spot out in Erie or the river, so I could return another day. Now I go by electronics, and memory which is getting less and less accurate every year!

GPS and quality graphs are a godsend, but doing what you are doing should take it to the next level.

you can go pretty in-depth if you like ....current,clarity,cloud cover....and that’s just the C’s! I have a log book written up by wazchuck and labingnon that I used ...hand write my entries. It prob would be best entering that data into a spread sheet or something...all royalties should go to the smerch if anyone out there is considering writing a program...smerch, I’ll take half and remain a silent partner

FF

Ha ha ......I have it all in my head Fred ....(photographic memory)  .  Problem is , what worked yesterday , didn't work today !

If I see someone catching fish .....  go see them ,  gab a while , and watch verrry closely .    ;)

I never really thought about keeping a log like that but i might consider it cause it is hard to go from memory especially years later. I used to only get out fishing once in a while but now that I can get out more I'll keep that in mind.

If I kept a log book from my first fishing days ,  it would look like a phone book .  :read:

Good idea Mark  , my wife gets her daily message from years gone by .....

I don't use Facebook or Twitter .....only the www. and my "dumb flip phone" .  

Archived