NFN meet up

Tyler0420

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d like to keep it the same date and location. People already have plans for this date. I’ll check it out Thursday/Friday if no one else can. If it’s unsafe maybe the weekend after will work.  I’d like to keep it “local”. I think going to simcoe would easily cut the number of people showing up in half. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’d like to keep it the same date and location. People already have plans for this date. I’ll check it out Thursday/Friday if no one else can. If it’s unsafe maybe the weekend after will work.  I’d like to keep it “local”. I think going to simcoe would easily cut the number of people showing up in half. 

I can't exactly check the ice but I'll happily have a little drive down Thursday and Friday to see if anyone else is out there,  just let me know mate. 

11 minutes ago, Loonietoon1 said:

Will try and make it just not fishing but would like to meet up. Need directions from Hamilton pls 🙄😁

From Hamilton take the Qew to the netherby rd exit. Turn right and follow that about 15 km to the first set of traffic lights. Make a left and follow that road to the end. Big open turn around where everyone will be parked

Would it not be more direct to get on hwy 20 to Smithville , to Webber Rd. , to Prince Charles Dr. to Town Line Rd....turn right to Canal Bank Rd.& drive to the end .   ?

11 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Would it not be more direct to get on hwy 20 to Smithville , to Webber Rd. , to Prince Charles Dr. to Town Line Rd....turn right to Canal Bank Rd.& drive to the end .   ?

That way is definitely cutting off the corner and most likely quicker. For someone out of town taking the QEW might be easier.  406 to the 140 to netherby would also be a good option. 

A family fishing derby will take place on the Rec. this Sunday . Anyone wanting another day on the ice can test their luck (skills)

This article says there's 6" of ice and lists the species caught in the Rec. canal .  Looking good for Saturday !   :Gonefishing:

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9174748-free-family-ice-fishing-tournament-sunday-in-welland/

1 hour ago, genec said:

Why??

do you have more luck there?

Before they built the place up we got a variety of fish there .....gills , crappies , bass , pike and the odd salmon made it there from the new canal .  Lots of weeds in there , used floats often .  That long stretch to Ontario Rd. was wide open , lots of spots to cast a line without tangling up in rowing markers . We can still ice fish there as the photo shows , but I'm not sure if the road is open or if parking is available .  Us old dudes really got in on the best of times  before Mr.Progre$$ took over Jack . 

Some of us ole folks put in the time and have some tricks up our sleeves 😏 ....I learned most of what I know well before technology thought it knew.... I may not be reprogrammable but I'm adaptable 😉

Rec canal could have the potential to be a great fishery, but the city won't do anything to improve it!

i submitted a 4-page proposal to the city a few years ago to create fishhabitat structures along the bottom of the canal, but they ignored it.

All  they care about is making money from it.

23 minutes ago, genec said:

Rec canal could have the potential to be a great fishery, but the city won't do anything to improve it!

i submitted a 4-page proposal to the city a few years ago to create fishhabitat structures along the bottom of the canal, but they ignored it.

All  they care about is making money from it.

Dont need to tell me... I was a trustee on the board for a local conservation club and had a direct hand in the walleye stocking project in the welland river ......I actually raised some of the fish that went in there.....with smerchlys son...... I know how things change.... how they used to be and can be again...plus spending decades fishing the area and learning my own secrets is why I don't stumble over more people fishing the same body of water.. .. it's not cuz I dont like the cumpny......lol

What is the time range for the meet -meat up ?  There are no Johnny on the Spot  relief stations about .

I usually have a small snack & take /buy a coffee if available .

Will there be a sign in upon arrival  ....nice to see who attended ....hoping for a good freeze up later today .....  

Archived