Ice Fishing Dunnville or PM Area

Rondeau Joe

55 minutes ago, Rondeau Joe said:

I'm coming down to Dunnville for some ice fishing ( or soft water if the temps suck) Jan 2nd. Anyone have any advise for where to set up?

Thinking if it's soft water I may try the pier at Port Maitland and long pole it.

You mean February 2nd?

Unfortunately I have no experience of the area at all sorry mate. 

4 minutes ago, fredfisher said:

It’s about 4-5 km down river from the dam in dunnville. They might charge you to park at the bait shop.

They for sure charge for parking. 

17 hours ago, Rondeau Joe said:

I'm ok with that as long as it's not a stupid amount.

I believe it's $5 or $10 to park and 5 for minnows. 

Went out yesterday fished at the dam from 3 -7 marked fish but could not get them to take. Skunked again. 

I was out from 7am-Noon straight out from the trailers at FM. Was in 15' on the south side and marked tons of fish but not even a nibble. I was able to count 62 huts from the dam down to VP's at one point in the morning. From the looks of it about half the people split around noon and I heard about 5 fish that were caught so it wasn't just me I guess. There has been massive fishing pressure there lately.

My times matched yours Corey but we were about 500 yards north of you. No hits for us or anyone around us today.

I agree too much pressure on the fish with that many out there. Saturday was even heavier than today. I've never seen so many huts in one place like Saturday.

3 hours ago, corey said:

There has been massive fishing pressure there lately

1 hour ago, Rondeau Joe said:

I've never seen so many huts in one place like Saturday.

Lots of people fishing today .  We have pop-up huts , heaters , electronics ,  power augers and better fishing gear .

And with the heavy numbers of anglers parking may be a problem .....and the garbage piles up ...At Rennie today a garbage drum was over flowing  & someone left a large  auger box beside it  .....why not take the friggin box home ?  And the butts on the ice ..,some holes with over a dozen butts .....NICE !!  

I agree smerch. I seen all the butts out there absolutly disgusting. Just to end up on the shore line in the spring. Cant believe how many huts were on the river this weekend. Never seen it like that before. I remember fishing here less then 10 years ago and seeing 10 maybe 15 huts Not 150+😳 boy how things have changed. I Dont blame those fish for being tight lipped. Report online all you want just keep backgrounds and names out of it and it might change things. Too many heros out there using youtube posting spots online trying to be a star. Really seeing the repercussions of these "stars" now. Hope views are worth it. 

1 hour ago, Rondeau Joe said:

Really - what is it with the butts? How hard is it put them in the pop can you just drank? Not a good sign of things to come if people can't take their garbage off the ice.

Very sad to see.

They're the same guys who leave piles of fishing line , etc.  that kill our wildlife ......

Like I said.... just start making random reports from random made up places then watch the tents pop up....lol....I should make my next river report about drifting from an iceberg and see if the new fad in sport fishing takes off......cold water ice paddling........or drilling ice bridge.......rainbows through the cracks.....that's ok let the Internet jockeys all go fish in the wrong spot...after a couple times getting skunked and cold they will give up....then the rest of us know where not to fish....I electro fished a couple years in a row with the mnr on the grand....i got some great " insider tips" out of that no probs...I know I can go there and catch a walleye if I want...haha.... I helped them move a few thousand of them which if anyone who happens to catch a tagged one....if you call and report to the mnr with the tag number they will send you back some pretty cool info on your fish🎣

I was out there all weekend.1 Walleye landed Saturday 8 till noon. Missed 3. Sunday 3 Walleye landed, missed 4 between 7 and 930. Biggest was 21inch, smallest was 17. Bite is very lite, got them all on a jigging rap tipped with minnow. All takes were on the down jig with no "strike feeling" just a little extra weight on the up jig with a quick hookset.

3 hours ago, steelshady said:

At least no is fishing the upper and lower! I love ice fishing season and Cliff's streamers:P

Why would anyone fish the upper or lower when we can fish for better fish through the ice? :P

59 minutes ago, corey said:

Why would anyone fish the upper or lower when we can fish for better fish through the ice? :P

That's funny......been managing the odd walleye without stepping on any ice....or changing gear 🎣😁

Archived