Crappie Limits

smerchly

Most places here in Ontario ...30 crappies  ?

Minnisota is only 10 ......but this couple thinks it's 300 ? ......How much for the fine ?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/08/01/fish-poaching-crappies/

....how about $100 per fish

Some spots used to not have a limit on pan fish....I saw a few spots when I was a kid get almost fished out of them....people hauling them out by the bucket load day after day....black and white...and loads....we would let them all go..but it was nothing to get 50 in a morning....you can still catch them in a couple of those same spots over 40 years later...but not in huge numbers and no big slabs.....why on earth someone figures they need to keep 300..wow that's beyond me..

10 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

.I saw a few spots when I was a kid get almost fished out of them.

Ya Jack , seems I remember that happened at a spot at the rec about 30 + years ago . And back then we didn't have the technology to pin point their exact location and depth when they are suspended ......hence I believe on lower limits on some fish species and maybe consider size also.  Some places like the Kawartha Lakes don't want crappies in there , so maybe no limits there ? Also , same rules for sunfish/gills ?  As technology gets better , like the latest "fish finders" that show the fish images in motion , I think other changes need to be made too.....

It isn't a matter of the fines but the risk of being "caught" is minimal.  It is a gamble that you are more than likely to win, multiple times before you get caught.

As someone who will fish pike as soon as ice out happens, pike and bass like the same habitat as a whole and I have never been questioned pike fishing by the MNR in some well known spots ... and it is not like I am fishing at 5 AM or 10 PM, well outside of normal hours of operation for them.

However on the other side of the equation, I have been asked for the license once catfishing in areas where there are no "sportfish" and a second time we were more looking, but it caused the MNR officer to pull into the park and come question us to see if we had rods around ... and fair on his part.  The officer tried to say he was local but he knew very little of the local areas talking with him, so we pointed him in a direction where he definitely would find people who had more than their fair share of fish in the buckets.

They are understaffed for the region and can't cover all the ground that they need to, to be an effective organization and put the fear into people.  I always buy a license, but I have gone multiple years without an interaction with a MNR officer, so technically ... yes I feel I could risk it and skip the purchase of the paperwork and there is a good chance I wouldn't be caught/questioned.

Maybe , just maybe.....the MNR will be using drones to record & catch poachers .  Drones can get "right in your face" ...The police are using drones , and that may cause fewer to be employed .....  Imagine ice fishing in a remote area and a drone comes by to say hello ......  :huh:

I was working in welland last year in September when a drone was hovering over the backyards and it was the nrp doin a raid on a yard full of marijuana.the home owner and i were watching the k9 vehichles pull up and a cube van and a few un marked cars and about 20 mins later they were draggin plants to the cube van.the whole yard must have been full because there was a pile!

Archived