spoon fishing for steelhead?

danny74

1 hour ago, danny74 said:

I was wondering if spoons will work this time of year in Port dalhousie.

thanks

Danny

Yikes....another DAN  .....#74  !!   :o

Tell us a little about yourself Danny ....it's nice to know where you're at , etc.....

I have seen the odd guy tossing spoons during the winter , but I think you would have more luck a lead head /twister , crank baits or finesse minnows .

Even live minnows on a 3 way rig sitting firmly on bottom (1 oz + weight) ....seen some good steel take the live minnows .

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Yikes....another DAN  .....#74  !!   :o

Tell us a little about yourself Danny ....it's nice to know where you're at , etc.....

I have seen the odd guy tossing spoons during the winter , but I think you would have more luck a lead head /twister , crank baits or finesse minnows .

Even live minnows on a 3 way rig sitting firmly on bottom (1 oz + weight) ....seen some good steel take the live minnows .

On the lower its all streamers right now.. Normally they take my quik fish but not lately.. Been getting lots on streamers

16 minutes ago, marktheperchman said:

A lot of members usually make their first post as some sort of introduction. 

Dan may be 74 .....I remember it well  .....started to fall apart , forgetting my fishing rod ,  etc .

Yeh ,   introduction before indoctrination .......come on in Dan ....   :clapping:

Indoctrination huh smerch....??? That's your way of trying to talk people into swallowing a goldfish to be part of the club again isn't it ?????🥁😆🥁

4 hours ago, marktheperchman said:

A lot of members usually make their first post as some sort of introduction. 

When I joined I looked for an introduction thread, none jumped out at me...just saying...I'm at the age I might need glasses. 

sorry about the no intro..... i was on here before under another name but forgot my password...lol

My name is Danny, i don't fish as often as i like but am trying to get back into it more. most of my fishing right now is on the grand river for catfish, i have a trailer in dunnville that i'm at most of the summer. for the past year i've worked as a maintenance mechanic, before that i spent 11 years sailing on the great lakes aboard cargo ships.

Danny

Ya it works but ive been fishin port dalhousie 25 years and theres so much line attached to the bottom and zebra mussels that you will snag just about every other cast and lose your gear !i usually cast out let sink for a 10 count and slow retrieve and twitch and lift and pause etc ....but id use different baits now .white twisters and jigs get lakers and bows .streamers or imitation minnows on a three way rig ,real minnows work best larger sized.welcome back on board!

I fish port Dalhousie all winter long and for the past 8 years or so with spoons almost exclusively.  For every bow, you will get 20 browns.  I don't mind because I target browns anyways.  That being said, this year has been slower than others.  I fish differently to target rainbows.  If you are worried about losing baits, swap out the treble for a siwash.  It will save you money if you fish deep.  Almost all my fish come from slack water or very mild back current. Previous years I had some 10 fish days but not this year.  Good luck!

Paul......I didn't see many minnows at Dalhousie  in 2018 . I usually got lots in the late fall to fill up my tank for ice fishing . I also made a trip to the River but all the "bait fish" in my net were dink perch .  I think you may do well using Mepps spinner baits , tipped with a minnow or worm ,etc.  The old fav.there used to be Cleo's .

Archived