What a Day !!

smerchly

Went to Port Dal. to snoop & do an etest while there (S & W). ...Got the 06 G6 4 banger in right away !  NICE !!  I see a guy take a couple pictures , one of the v.i.n. no. & he says they can't get hooked up to the gov't computers....another test & I must now pay .  Second test failed ....something in the car's wiring shows a short to the computer . ...they find & fix it . So I walked to Port & checked out the big rigs & machines fixing the wall , then had a coffee  there . Walked back about 1 km to get the car ...... Now I have to drive to Beamsville to reset the computer .....recheck ...still 3 codes not ready .  I'm now up to $220.00 & no certificate  . Take it back Thursday for another test , hoping the codes are loaded . The car has be running great , only 65 km.,  no issues or lights , everything works good .  What a P>I>T>A !!  A few years ago I had the same problem with my 02  F-150 ....used a FULL tank of gas to reset the codes after 3 tests !  ( really helped stop emissions )  It was the cat.converter not getting hot enough in the -10C weather !  In both cases a new battery was installed just weeks before the test .   :dunno:

Saw 2  guys ice fishing Rennie but only had my walking shoes on .....looked like a good day to wet a line !!!!  :(

26 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

I was there from 11 am - 1 pm. Three small pike for me today. No perch!!! Even these pike were fussy and had to tease them.

I thought that might be you ... where we met last time . I was walking the sidewalk back to Ontario St.  Another guy near the point close to shore ...(weed beds)  

Busy busy place down there with all that heavy equipment ....west wall is pooched !

I can't decide on where to fish next  :dunno: ....maybe give the Beacon a go ....(checking out the winds )....  

My minnows look bored .....   B)

Yeh , the Beacon has always been a "sketchy" place to ice fish .  A good N.W. wind can quickly bust up  the ice  .  Sometimes I just fish from the docks  .....or check out the "other" side ...   B)

The e-test is an absolute joke, while I am not a fan of the Doug Ford politics, this is one of the items I enjoyed with it being eliminated shortly.

Mind you if the Federalies have their way none of us will be driving with what they plan on doing to the prices of life with their carbon tax in a few years times.

It sure is a joke .  I must drive for many miles & BURN gas to pass an ELECTRONIC etest .  If I stopped driving the car for 3 weeks & then applied for my sticker after April 1 ....would I still need the etest ?? I can drive my van in that time span ....no etest required this year . I drove for many more miles today ,both city & hwy speeds up to 105 km.as requested & will do the same again Thurs. morning ,then doing the 3rd test . If it fails again I'll call the mto  & ask about waiting till April to get the sticker which costs go up every year automatically.

Ya Snags ,  the carbon tax is just another tax added to our hst  and other "green" taxes .....will they tax mary jane for the smoke going into our atmosphere ? 

You will still need an etest Bill. I asked the person at the MOT when I had the jeep plated a few weeks back. The other vehicle was not ready per my omb2 scanner. I mentioned the scanner to you a few years back.  I actually had many more codes then you have mentioned, but with the net and talking to a testing garage, I was able to prepare the vehicle and it passed no problem. Also, it really depends on where one goes for the test. Some places are just after the $$$ and won't educate one on the simplicity on getting a vehicle ready for said etest. Regardless, the useless test is now done, less one is running a small business with commercial plates.  Some garages are about making money, while others are actually about doing the best for their customers. 

Yes Dan , could it be some garages will make as much money as possible before the etest  is cancelled ?  After the second etest and drive to Beamsville , they just put the code reader on outside and showed me the 3  codes that were not ready , one being the cat.converter ....maybe just a poor connection . I should have went to my reg. mechanic  who has a guy down the road do his etests .  It's not just the money , it's all the time spent getting it done . A farce from day one . 

There was nothing wrong with the car ....everything in good working order ,,,,no lights , car running fine . New battery installed a month ago ($225.) and all fluids checked  .

Thats the trouble with the newer cars and the computer systems.

many years ago, with an older jeep, I had a mechanic tell me that, when I was coming do for an etest, fill the tank with premium gas, run at least 1/3 through before the etest, and I would always pass it!

12 minutes ago, genec said:

Thats the trouble with the newer cars and the computer systems.

many years ago, with an older jeep, I had a mechanic tell me that, when I was coming do for an etest, fill the tank with premium gas, run at least 1/3 through before the etest, and I would always pass it!

My 97 van  has a tail pipe test .  I would also burn premium gas with my 90 van , change the oil and take it for a spin to heat up the cat. converter  before the test .....If needed , a tune up done also . My old 1990   Chevy van passed the test last year when my daughter owned it .....sold to a new owner last fall .

...my free test today was $218.   which included the gift tax to the gov't. plus about $20 for gas to get the codes ....  Plates today, another $240. for 2 vehicles .....Two oil changes are next .....cutting into my fishing $$$ and time !  

Toilet tank leaking  ...grrrrr  ....  why do they use steel bolts that rust away in 3 years ???    :wall:   I have a pair  of 40 year old brass bolts to replace them . Back in the day .....they made things to last !....  a job for tomorrow or next day .....   depending .......  :Gonefishing:...    :D

Archived