Goose Hunt

Surf and Turf

Hey guys anyone having any luck this week? The fields that we planned to hunt this week were just rented by an outfitter/guide so pooched. First time we ever ran into that Arrgh! Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come!

23 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Hey guys anyone having any luck this week? The fields that we planned to hunt this week were just rented by an outfitter/guide so pooched. First time we ever ran into that Arrgh! Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come!

Was it private property that the outfitter took over? Are they the only ones that can hunt it? I don’t hunt but just curious how a outfitter can take over an area.  

36 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Was it private property that the outfitter took over? Are they the only ones that can hunt it? I don’t hunt but just curious how a outfitter can take over an area.  

Yeah, it is a privately owned farm. They pay for the exclusive right to hunt the property, by contract the land owner can't let anyone else hunt there. Frustrating.

11 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Yeah, it is a privately owned farm. They pay for the exclusive right to hunt the property, by contract the land owner can't let anyone else hunt there. Frustrating.

Farmer should have offered you the opportunity to outbid the outfitter if you have been hunting there for years.

Something like the farmer renting out his property to wind turbine companies ..... it's more ca$h than growing crops, etc.

I used to hunt  a few hundred feet from both my back yard & front yard .....all full of houses now......not much land left to hunt locally now .

Dave, they lease for the year and for thousands of dolllars. The only time we hunted those particular fields was was for the late season goose hunt. And Smerch you're right it comes down to income for the farmer. It's getting more an more difficult for farmers to make a living so you can't really blame them. It's just disapointing, as you said development is eating up land available for hunting. My old hunting grounds when I was a kid are long gone and they aren't making any more.

Absolutely agree Surf !  It's tough being a farmer these days , for many reasons . You gotta do .........

Our society dictates that we must grow . That is fine as long as the infrastructure can support it  . ( more hospitals , sewage plants , garbage care, etc etc etc )

I hunted locally & the  Smithville  -  Gainsborough area .....even bunny hunted the Vineland Agri farm ....bunnies, jacks , grouse , pheasants ,  geese , & some puddle ducks.

Gave it up 50 years ago & switched to bigger game .....moose .  🦌  (small rack) 

On 2/28/2019 at 3:59 PM, smerchly said:

Absolutely agree Surf !  It's tough being a farmer these days , for many reasons . You gotta do .........

Our society dictates that we must grow . That is fine as long as the infrastructure can support it  . ( more hospitals , sewage plants , garbage care, etc etc etc )

I hunted locally & the  Smithville  -  Gainsborough area .....even bunny hunted the Vineland Agri farm ....bunnies, jacks , grouse , pheasants ,  geese , & some puddle ducks.

Gave it up 50 years ago & switched to bigger game .....moose .  🦌  (small rack) 

Yep, definitely used to be a lot simpler Smerch! I focus more on big game too, deer and moose. I've  always enjoyed a variety of rack sizes too, big and small, love them all! 

On my last hunt  near Thunder Bay  I missed the first day after forgetting my trigger lock !  I used a small file on a multi-knife for hours while the 4 other guys hunted  . The next day, after one hour ,  I got my largest moose ever with a 50" rack  a beauty bull !!   ....decided right then and there this would be my last hunt .  Still have the rack in my garage "attic" to keep the squirrels from chewing it up .

On 3/2/2019 at 4:35 PM, smerchly said:

On my last hunt  near Thunder Bay  I missed the first day after forgetting my trigger lock !  I used a small file on a multi-knife for hours while the 4 other guys hunted  . The next day, after one hour ,  I got my largest moose ever with a 50" rack  a beauty bull !!   ....decided right then and there this would be my last hunt .  Still have the rack in my garage "attic" to keep the squirrels from chewing it up .

Wow I bet that was a fun filled 4 hours Smerch! LOL  Sounds like a beauty bull to finish your moose hunting career with! You should hang the rack in a place of prominence like the living room wall or maybe over your headboard, I'm sure the wife won't mind! 

1 hour ago, Surf and Turf said:

Wow I bet that was a fun filled 4 hours Smerch! LOL  Sounds like a beauty bull to finish your moose hunting career with! You should hang the rack in a place of prominence like the living room wall or maybe over your headboard, I'm sure the wife won't mind! 

I would hang the rack in the basement if it had 8' high walls , but with walls only 6' somebody would lose an eye  ....same with the living room  . Thinking about buying a smart car & putting it on the grill .....   :)

Archived