Tire fix ect...

smerchly

I noticed a low tire on the G6 .....soaped it up & see a lead counterweight has a very slow leak ....take it to C.T. to fix ....ask for an oil change while it's there . " It will be about 90 minutes ....car pulled in immediately ....after 30 min. I get paged  ...they did the oil & found some play in tie rods & brake fluid should be changed ... KA-CHING !!

I said I just spent a lot on an etest  plus plates , deal with it later .  OK...so come back in about 30 min. for the tire repair . ....

10 min.later , paged me , all done !  They said they switched both back tires because they were not oriented properly , front leak fixed .

The bill .....$90..............  $4 for topping up washer fluid .

When I got home .....looked like the front wheel wasn't removed (dirt on tire lug nuts)  I filled the washer fluid a few days ago & never used it ....they might have squeezed a cup full in.....

I believe they just let air out of the tire , pulled out the lead counterweight , blew it out & inserted another new weight . ...that's why I was paged in only ten minutes .

.....not calling them crooks .....but it smells FISHY to me .  ... they weren't busy , so they "found" more work to do on my car ......

My personal mechanic is in Thorold & I trust him 100% , but small stuff like a tire repair isn't worth the drive ....until now ....  Do old codgers look like suckers  ?   

....all this small stuff infringes on fishing time !

I gave up going to Welland CTC years ago because of that same kind of B. S. cons to do work.

went for an emission test - they told me I needed a new catalytic converter as it was rusted out.

said "no" , then drove down the street to see Frenchie at Zorro muffler.

he said the catalytic converter was fine, just the protective cover over it was rusted, and not to worry about it.

I've heard other stories about C.T. "mechanics" , & there are some respectable ones too . And the stores prices have gone through the roof  while the Chinese junk keeps our dump sites full  .They can drop 70% off  on a sale item  & still make a profit .  I go to Home Hardware more now .

During my younger years we would do most work on our vehicles at home & get parts from the wreckers , from head lights to transmissions ....still do my own oil/lube changes on my trucks and vans

Ct are definitely the biggest crooks. And mechanics? I don’t think so they might have one licensed guy and a bunch a high school kids working. My gf had a screw in her tire so I’m like well ct is open this late I’ll just go there.  They couldn’t even fix that proper. They damaged the rim taking it off. (Good thing they replaced it)

Mechanics, Dentists, Lawyers all the same....The honest business man struggles to survive. Corruption is an everyday event these days. When you do find someone honest best take all your business to them and send them any other business too.

Like when my girlfriend bought a battery for her car......then they wanted 40 bucks to put it in.......needless to say... I changed it when she got home...lol

It seems our governments don't care much for all the people who are getting scammed . The more the crooks can charge , the more tax they get .  If they charge $100 for a part , and $100 for an hours labour , their take is $26 ....plus any disposal fees , eco fees ......and we will pay for the carbon tax through higher prices .

I believe they hit women harder ( Drifter) ....so tell your ladies to consult with the man in the house first ! 

I probably saved myself about $300 by not allowing them to "fix" my van ......think I'll buy a new fishing rod !     ( and take my bike)   .....  B)

JWL.....I remember  , many yrs. ago , a lady was having a battery replaced ....said it was only a few years old . I noticed a large build up of white corrosion on the terminals . When they tried to start the car a slight hissing/burning sound came from the battery .....All it needed was a clean up but they sold her a new one instead . 

A friend who worked at GM  took his truck to a "trusted" gm dealership for a brake job ..... charged him for all 4 wheels . When he got home he noticed the back wheel lug nuts were still dirty .....never were touched .  He accosted them , got the usual "mistake," apology ,etc.  ....never went back & bought a new Toyota , still buys them 20 years later ....

Crappy Tire and pretty much all the dealerships are all cut off the same stick! I drive all the way from Grimsby to Rainville's Auto on Montrose Rd, even for an oil change because I know I can trust them. 

Archived