Warm temps this week.

Tyler0420

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool...pretty soon there will be a couple spots on the upper so loaded with them it's a huge dark cloud in the water....then a few good "inland spots" after they thaw out....fun to have a day getting your arm sore fighting 20lbers 🐡

Early in the season...minnows and jigs will get em....then as it warms your typical scented baits will work...there's 30 to 40 lbers mixed in on the river.....you can prob get em on a float set up on your pin...15 to 20 lbs is a good average at a couple spots I know.....I can turn you on to a couple good spots for sure

I got the carp bug yesterday as I saw 2 guys using long rods for trout at the lake front . ....putting my ice gear away today since the ice fishing this years was the worst year I can remember .  I'll wait until April for trout but will pursue trout & pike until the ice is gone.

Jack ...I know a few spots at the River for carp ...some monsters in there , even at the pool .  You can still have a blast with a fly rod using canned corn with no weight if there's no current . I know a good place for you to use that method and land some 20#  plus.....  ( April)

...oh YES !!   ... Perch for dinner today  !!  YES !!     :clapping:

Gotta love our region for year round fishing something trophy sized to target 12 months a year

19 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

Gotta love our region for year round fishing something trophy sized to target 12 months a year

For sure JW.....I can fish for the trouties in the morning & ice fish in the afternoon . We in Niagara are very fortunate we can choose hard or soft H2O any time !

What a welcome post!  Good luck on your recon Tyler. 

Here in the Hammer, I gotta wait for the harbour to clear of ice, then I can head to some early season spots that warm earliest.  Last year, I was out by the end of March but there were guys who beat me to the punch and were out as soon as the ice was.

It's nice to come out of hibernation and scout for some open water to cast to!    

On 3/9/2019 at 3:55 PM, Mike Pike said:

It's nice to come out of hibernation and scout for some open water to cast to!   

Or a "transition " from  ice fishing to shore fishing .... My ice gear is back in hibernation as well as the snow thrower !  That is positive thinking !  Carp rod is rigged & patiently waiting ....  I will check a spot tomorrow that has both carp & trout passing through , but it will likely be very muddy from the "spring" runoff . It would still be worth  using a roe bag for a couple hours  ....also can try live minnows , either 3 way or under the float . This would be new to me  but I need to give it a try ....just to get back into the groove ......   :Gonefishing:

I think muddy spring water doesn't really affect carp like other fish.  A spot I fish in spring is shallow, muddy with zero visibility, yet still carp are caught. 

And I'm always reminded of that fat, healthy carp I saw caught a few years ago with no eyes, literally!  Yet, it was able to find food and thrive, no problemo. 

Yes Mike ,  a few spots I know with no current , or very little runoff flow have been early carp spots for years . I have a good spot near Gibson which is always muddy , shallow , and no current which I will try right after ice out .  Now Gibson is a different ball of wax .....a good current , 15 ' deep and usually clear green water .  Choosing the right bait keeps me guessing . Some carp anglers prefer the pack bait & boilies in the shallow muddy water with lots of scent to attract them . I did well with grated bread & can corn in the shallows.

Got my trout rod ready to go ....think it can handle a carp in the cold spring water ...they don't have that spunky attitude yet .  If nothing is happening there , I'll take a trip to Port Dal.

If I'm not using minnows in early spring....I like using pre made pizza dough doused in vanilla extract overnight...... I even know a spot where I discovered one day that the carp where swimming around under a group of ducks. ..the ducks where eating these berries off an overhanging bush and the carp where eating the ones the ducks knocked in the water....was pretty neat to see.

Well , t'was a "species spa" day today ....drove to Jordan to check out the " trout" situation from the lake front & saw raging chocolate milk flowing from the bay & the lake front the same .....time for the boaters to do some casting ... Then I realized I forgot my phone & camera, so off to home ...then back to Port Dal .to drift a few roe bags & minnies....water a little stained and the noise from the many construction machines pounding in the steel plates along the wall must have the fish hiding in the mud ....not a touch , sniff or look at my offerings .   Also saw one hut on the ice at Rennie ....

So off I went ....to gas up as I saw gas at 1.02 earlier , but 113 by afternoon , so , no fish...no gas !    But it was a NICE day to be out there !   :Gonefishing:

....is anybody here ???

Just got back from a bit of a scout around.....some if my favorite early season spots are shaping up pretty nice.... a few warm days and the fishing should be starting up for some early carp and even some gators

What bait do you use in the cold (muddy) waters for carp ?  I use reg can corn but the cats like it better ! 

Jack ....I Googled Lake Moodie & first thread came up with this ......old memories .......

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/topic/251-fishing-at-lake-moodie-sat-report/

On 3/16/2019 at 4:06 PM, Jwl1 said:

Just got back from a bit of a scout around.....some if my favorite early season spots are shaping up pretty nice.... a few warm days and the fishing should be starting up for some early carp and even some gators

Did the same today Jack .  Found one guy fishing for carp at CDP west pond .  East pond still has ice . Went to the GRT ....no one fishing , all iced over ....too cold last night ! No one on the ice at Rennie , looks like it's done .....some heavy snow came while I fished the outflow of the 16 ....looking for perch in the chocolate milk ...Need a few more days of warmer weather . Looking to do some pike (float) fishing before it closes in April.

Toothies open all year in zone 19 😉.... and I use scented pizza dough.... vanilla....or anise for the carp....the dough also works good in a minnow trap or net for chubs to help get the toothies on 

Took a walk in the nice weather this evening. Not much help to Niagara carper's but had a look at the Dalewood dam on Kettle Creek (Erie trib off Port Stanley). Surprised to see the carp run already in full force. Counted at least a few dozen rolling in the shallows. Probably way more but looking into like 18" vis and creek was wide open free of ice. Didn't see a fish under 10#. This creek seeks to attract every carp in erie in spring, you can almost literally walk across them but surprised to see them this early in the spawning motions. I'm sure anywhere with open water and right conditions are right behind now too.

It was ice free a few days ago but after a -5C drop overnight  it was frozen over again....probably good to go by after noon ..

Good luck on the carp ,  I'll give it a go very soon .

....and I might add ,   don't put the snow shovel away yet !

Dont put the shovel away?....(BONK!)....😮💥💣 goes to Bill with the shovel for swearing like that.... I will be fishing walleye and steelies on the upper in the morn.... I planned on checking up again on a couple of my spring spots for carp and pike with a couple "inland" spots in mind.... let some of you know how its shaping up around in my adventures over the next while switching from chrome to copper 😆

Archived