Warm temps this week.

Tyler0420

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, smerchly said:

It was ice free a few days ago but after a -5C drop overnight  it was frozen over again....probably good to go by after noon ..

Good luck on the carp ,  I'll give it a go very soon .

....and I might add ,   don't put the snow shovel away yet !

Tried last night with no luck, water seemed clear for this time of year and looks like it is very shallow, perhaps due to construction last year? Few crappies caught, need a good warm rain.

I gave a carp spot a try this a.m. ....very shallow as the Gibby system was at low tide . Got one good bite on the corn but I kept hooking algae from the bottom , covering up the corn ....will try adding floating corn next trip . Still a little on the cool side ....need to pee more in the water .....

And when I went to come home , my van wouldn't start ....left my #@&*@#  lights on , drained the battery completely . Called CAA & they had a guy there in 5 minutes !  The lights are manual and no signal from the van when left on (old school low tech.)   Won't do THAT again !  :wall:

Couple spots I scouted out today need a bit more of a thaw in general....and a couple looking good for the near future. ..a few warm days should start to show some fish in the deeper open water 

1 hour ago, Bubba14 said:

I was outside working almost all day

When you retire you can say ...."I was outside fishing all day"  ......well , not everyday ,  when I retired there was always things to do at home ,  going to fix up the basement ....that was 25 years ago ....wife still waiting .....   :dunno:  what are ya gonna do ?  

37 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Was working at the canal all day today just kept looking at the water wanting to fish. 

That's mind abuse Norton !!   Can you not fish on your lunch breaks ? 

Condolences .....   :(

On 3/20/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jwl1 said:

Dont put the shovel away?....(BONK!)....😮💥💣 goes to Bill with the shovel for swearing like that.... I will be fishing walleye and steelies on the upper in the morn.... I planned on checking up again on a couple of my spring spots for carp and pike with a couple "inland" spots in mind.... let some of you know how its shaping up around in my adventures over the next while switching from chrome to copper 😆

I'm just reading some the postings on here, and I have to say that your reports are excellent...........Very helpful, indeed.........................

On 3/9/2019 at 12:27 PM, Jwl1 said:

Gotta love our region for year round fishing something trophy sized to target 12 months a year

JWL said it right here .....we are fortunate to live between two Great Lakes that allow us to fish all year  . We can fish both hard & soft water the same day .  I was tempted to grab some worms from the yard last night , there was plenty getting in some "moonshine" .  We have lost many spots for various reasons but still have many spots to fish from shore or boat .

Tony....haven't seen you lately ....hope you are still wetting a line and hope to see you on the carp trails soon .  :Gonefishing:

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

JWL said it right here .....we are fortunate to live between two Great Lakes that allow us to fish all year  . We can fish both hard & soft water the same day .  I was tempted to grab some worms from the yard last night , there was plenty getting in some "moonshine" .  We have lost many spots for various reasons but still have many spots to fish from shore or boat .

Tony....haven't seen you lately ....hope you are still wetting a line and hope to see you on the carp trails soon .  :Gonefishing:

Nice to be back on board, Bill....................... I don't like the cold temps, but I still manage to get out when it warms up a bit........

14 hours ago, smerchly said:

When you retire you can say ...."I was outside fishing all day"  ......well , not everyday ,  when I retired there was always things to do at home ,  going to fix up the basement ....that was 25 years ago ....wife still waiting .....   :dunno:  what are ya gonna do ?  

That's mind abuse Norton !!   Can you not fish on your lunch breaks ? 

Condolences .....   :(

Was trying to get the water on for all the washrooms and such for the canal opening. No time to stop. 

1 hour ago, DNorton said:

Was trying to get the water on for all the washrooms and such for the canal opening. No time to stop. 

Just ribbing you Norton .....my grandfather worked at the canal tying up ships at Thorold for many years until he retired .  My favourite fishing spot was at lock one just below the spillway  . We had a lot of fun catching a good variety of fish there . .......many years ago .

Nice weekend & cooler for Mon-Tues .  then.....hopefully some spring -like temps which should get the carp in the mood for some sweet corn .

I still have some nice minnows in my tank I saved for pike .....waiting for the ice to go at one spot before April , (area 16 & 20) .  All rigged up for both pike & carp .

Tomorrow !  :Gonefishing:

Did you know that Bing Crosby loved  black crappie fishing ?  ....also his favorite eating fish ! 

Another  revelation revealed by the WWW .......   :read:

Got out for 45 mins after work(7pm). One fish landed and a nicer one lost at the shore line. 4 days sooner this year then last year when I caught my first one. First time out for me this year for carp. 

2AF221C0-FE3D-4EE6-AEB9-39981ED4736C.jpeg

773301F7-BEB3-46D2-8F35-3FDFD83535F6.jpeg

Beauty carp !   ....using floating corn or mixed with maize ? 

Looking forward to warmer temps , got lots of maize left from last year .  Also want to try using cut up worms for them in the cold water .

I have a similar rod holder , made from plastic pipe & I found it was a bit of a pain getting the rod out of it when a carp was peeling out line , so I plugged it up inside about half way and found it much easier to get the rod out quickly .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Beauty carp !   ....using floating corn or mixed with maize ? 

Looking forward to warmer temps , got lots of maize left from last year .  Also want to try using cut up worms for them in the cold water .

I have a similar rod holder , made from plastic pipe & I found it was a bit of a pain getting the rod out of it when a carp was peeling out line , so I plugged it up inside about half way and found it much easier to get the rod out quickly .

I used some corn with one floating corn on the end of the hair. Looking forward to the next outing. 

Right on man....was just having a couple drinks and playing poker at my kid brother's house talking about trying a spot I introduced him to when he was little....bought myself some "spring time " supplies today when i went and topped off some end of the season steelie stuff this aft...the last time my brother went to our one spot he was just telling me tonight...the biggest 1 he got bent his net....lol....there's a couple spots we call carpiking spots because the big carp run at the same time as the big pike...so we can set out with some different tactics in mind for the day....and the early season carp will hit the same baits we fish pike....I used to take my daughter when she was little...hook like a 20lber then hand her the rod just to see what happened.....lol...that was chaotic sometimes....Haha....me....as much as I love my winter steelie fishing and had a great winter and cool photo collection from the last couple months... I look forward to the spring change....be it a 3 foot pike or a 20lbs carp.... I just love catching big fish!!!!....a carp derby day could be fun for sure.....there's countless places we could pull that off and not "bother" a soul

Luck would have it today I took a scout and one of the places I wanted to try was all skimmed back over with ice.....a couple other spots shaping up though....didn't try...was just a recon mission... week or so of warm weather should help that out.....scoping out another spot in the morn for the heck of it because I have an appointment nearby

Archived