Night fishing rainbows

Tyler0420

I've done decent in the past floatfishing roe with a glow bead or bottom bouncing roe with a glow corky. Always tie bigger bags if I no I'll be fishing before/after dark.works best in slower pools in clear water obviously. Browns and salmon are both far more noctural though I find

15 minutes ago, steellee said:

browns and salmon are both far more noctural though I find 

Port Dalhousie is known for catching browns after nightfall . If using spoons or crank baits you may encounter walleye as well .

Most of the night fishing was done from the west wall at Dalhousie .  Every inch of that side is unfishable now ....full of heavy equipment  pounding in the plates and building a condo where the Legion stood .  I don't expect to be able to fish anywhere on that side for another year , and that depends on parking -property issues as well .

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9219418-photos-pier-review-of-port-dalhousie/

Wow, that's quite a scene, Smerch.  Sad that it's unfishable now and who know's what awaits us even once the construction is done.  I don't wanna be a downer but I fear there will be far less access on the west side even when the work is done. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Wow, that's quite a scene, Smerch.  Sad that it's unfishable now and who know's what awaits us even once the construction is done.  I don't wanna be a downer but I fear there will be far less access on the west side even when the work is done. 

There's only one roadway through Port Mike . Traffic will be be gridlock and parking may only be free for the park/carousel area  and maybe some fishing access to the pier . I'm thinking I'll be seeing a lot more boat fishing ....

Not that great a carp spot anyway Mike .....    B)

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Shore fishing is never high on the agenda of urban planners.    

Yes , they look at the $$$ potential of any land now , especially at the water front .  Back in the 50's we spent our summers at the "Michigan Beach" ....nice sand and a french fry stand ...and 2 outhouses !  It was a nice quiet beach where we spent many days enjoying the sun & swimming . Then "along came John" with the BIG bucks ....filled over most of the beach with rocks & dirt , and city taxes paid for thousands of huge rocks to form a new marina , then built a clubhouse and paved over the rest of the area which was used for selling sand from the huge sand piles . No money to be made from a little beach & sand  , but mega millions for the "owners" and the city .....

I read something about work being done at Pier 8 your way Mike ?  I hope you will have free access for your carp spots . 

Ya, I've seen drawings of the new Pier 8 and it 'appears' we will still have access to the water, however, it's tough to know if there will now be a fence or railing to impede fishing there.  We will see, I suppose. 

Also, I'm not sure of the number of parking spots that will remain.  And of course, just like your situation now at the Port, during the construction, will we be able to access any of it.

19 hours ago, smerchly said:

Port Dalhousie is known for catching browns after nightfall . If using spoons or crank baits you may encounter walleye as well .

I recall Rick O'Banion posting a few pics of 12 pound class Walleye taken at Port Dalhousie pier at night.

Ya years back on the walleye fishing for sure you are referring too....personally I've never caught a steelie at night.. ..not even just before dawn....browns and Lakers yes...but all my steelies have came a while after sun up..to about the dinner hour....tonnes mid day

When you have the right conditions and location, rainbows feed heavily at night.  Early fall run bows on Georgian bay tribs are a prime example.  Glow sticks on floats from midnight until sun up are the standard. 

We also used to fish the Eastern tribs of Lake O at night down low close to the lake.  I don't see why Port Dalhousie would be any different.   

2 hours ago, kevin said:

When you have the right conditions and location, rainbows feed heavily at night.  Early fall run bows on Georgian bay tribs are a prime example.  Glow sticks on floats from midnight until sun up are the standard. 

We also used to fish the Eastern tribs of Lake O at night down low close to the lake.  I don't see why Port Dalhousie would be any different.   

I  used to do the glowstick on float thing on the Bighead at night  in the fall, my old Shakespeare 1810 closed face underspin worked a lot better on my floatrod  than the centrepin in the dark  😂.

2 hours ago, kevin said:

Port Dal.harbour is about 15' average depth . I don't know if browns differ from bows with their feeding depths , and I'm sure some bows have been caught there after dark as well . Still getting mostly browns there this winter .

Archived