Do you support coyote hunting?

I don't. It's like shooting crows. You can't really eat them and they have a purpose. If they are threatening livestock you do what you have to but just killing and dumping is not my thing. To each his own but when I find a body pile I just shake my head. Unnecessary carnage. I've never been chased or threatened by these dogs and enjoy watching them from my treestand. They are part of nature and when I hunt I try to blend in with nature. Not change it so it suits me. Coyotes may keep the deer away for a short time but I enjoy the wait. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kTHS5rWGu5x3uVLz7

bodypile.jpg

Im not really into either but i wont let one walk by within bow range .at this point your deer hunt has already been spoiled and not likely to see anything .i followed tracks a coiple years ago after finding signs ofshredded deer parts and hair i found a den in the side of a hill under logs and brush .when i dug my way somewhat in there i found 2 deer carcasses and an antler .if they arr killin the deer im hunting i should try to stop it. But i dont hunt with a gun and target them by any means.thats my way of handling it

I don’t hunt but if I lived in a area where their coming into my back yard or killing my “farm animals” I’d probably take some down.  To see them out in the bush though I’d leave them alone.  

Can you not get money for their fur?

16 hours ago, Dan Andrews said:

I don't. It's like shooting crows. You can't really eat them and they have a purpose. If they are threatening livestock you do what you have to but just killing and dumping is not my thing. To each his own but when I find a body pile I just shake my head. Unnecessary carnage. I've never been chased or threatened by these dogs and enjoy watching them from my treestand. They are part of nature and when I hunt I try to blend in with nature. Not change it so it suits me. Coyotes may keep the deer away for a short time but I enjoy the wait. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kTHS5rWGu5x3uVLz7

Not sure if it’s just me but I can’t see the attachment you posted. Nothing comes up

I’ve shot some out of my backyard. Only for the sole reason I have young kids and they will come up within 20 ft of my backdoor. Don’t need them around here. Only time I’ve ever shot them though 

Fishingking the debate continues as to whether they kill deer or just get caught with the mortalities they find. I'm certainly for them cleaning up the road kill. Also I shot my biggest buck 30 minutes after 2 large coyotes crossed my treestand. Wild turkeys, young deer and coyotes all in the same field at once. I guess it wasn't dinner time yet.

Tyler it's driving me nuts that I can't use google image to host pictures. .2 megs is just so hard to get down to for upload here. It was a body pile anyway. 

DNorton I totally get that. When they're in my neighbourhood I try to sneak up on them and chase them as hard as I can. Almost touched one. The wind covered my noise as did they're squealing. They remember me but my next door neighbour has 3 piggies in a blanket waiting to be snatched so they return. 

dead yote.jpg

Actually I guess this size photo can work. If anyone's resolution is too high to see the pictures let me know and I'll try and max it out. Currently set to 6x4. 

The second photo with a single carcass was found within 20 yards of a hunters stand. My thought is it was put there by either a competing hunter or the neighbour who disagrees with hunting outside of coyote. A real unique situation where I hunt. Quite the battle between landowners, hunters and competing hunters. We've got some real beauties out this way. Anyone who has dealt with the Serbian crew out of Niagara Falls knows the challenge. Add Roger, Catfish and a shady neighbour to the mix and you've got a land war. Oh ya and antis from Toronto all the way around LOL. Might as well start traveling to hunt

My cousin still owns the family farms near Cayuga where I do all my hunting.

i don't actively go out in other areas to hunt coyotes, but will always shoot any coyote I can on the farm to help out deer and  especially  help protect turkey numbers on the farm.

having said that, I rarely get to shoot one there as they seem so elusive.  I think I have only got 3 yotes in the past 5 years.

This property I'm currently on has had plenty of turkeys, deer and coyotes together. They've been providing a healthy balance for almost a century without our help. Many of our current laws were put in place because unmetered hunting was destroying the balance. It was man who extirpated wild turkey from the area. Now there is so much un-huntable land and so few turkey hunters that I think we'll see the wild turkey continue to thrive. Development is now there number 1 threat in our area. 

I've seen those trail cam videos as well of the coyotes taking down deer, not sure how common it is. The fawns are especially vulnerable. Two of the turkey properties I hunt on are farms, one dairy and the other sheep. As you can expect, they don't care for the coyotes being around. They have seen tracks and scat right up near the barns and have watched as one coyote lured their dog away, only to have another coyote join in when the dog got far enough from the house. I have been out on the farms for the sole purpose of knocking a couple down but haven't had any success yet. They are very stealthy and elusive, using their keen senses to their advantage.

What guns are legal to use for yotes on local farms ?    This article says a center fire gun is best for clean kills .  Can shotguns with SSG loads be used in other hunting spots ? I have been out of the loop for many years .  We carried some BB shot & #2 Imperial shells which brought down some yotes back in the 60's....

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/hunting-for-coyotes/

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

What guns are legal to use for yotes on local farms ?    This article says a center fire gun is best for clean kills .  Can shotguns with SSG loads be used in other hunting spots ? I have been out of the loop for many years .  We carried some BB shot & #2 Imperial shells which brought down some yotes back in the 60's....

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/hunting-for-coyotes/

I believe anything from a 22 to a 270 is legal and most guys depending on whether they are keeping the furs will use just a 00 buck shot for close range with shotgun or a rifled barrel with a sabot slug out to 100yrds .for rifle i think most guys are using 223 or 22-250 but my buddy raves about the 204 and ive shot the 17 and would probably use that if i coyote hunted.

i was talking to a buddy on the weekend he was telling me his buddy found a den two years ago so he sat up a trail cam on it when he picked it up to look at the pics after a month every second day they were bringing in a new fawn for the pups things like that drive guys to do this the fur don't sell anymore and if it does you get peanuts for them this is two of the mane reasons some hunters do this try to thin them out and don't wan't them cause they don't pay out any more i don't like it but not 100% against it 

• 2 weeks later...

An my grandfather once said “they are the troublemakers of the bush” that being said he would only shoot one if he had one come down close to the farm and if the coyote was looking to take out one of his chickens ducks or lambs he would then go get the gun , however a lot of time the coyotes were around the barn because they knew a lot mice and rats were around eating spilled chicken feed ... he never Understood baiting coyotes to kill them or calling them ...” you don’t put a bag of money on your front porch inviting theives to your house “ same theory with the coyote. Up until he passed he never approved of killing something you couldnot eat                                         

Another aspect that should be considered is that coyotes are an apex predator, and as such should have a healthy fear of people. If they are left alone and lose their fear of people we run into situations like the one that just happened here in Grimsby. We are hearing regular reports of pets being snatched from backyards and even from leashes while on a walk. The following incident happened with a teenager and only stopped after several witness intervened, If it has been a child and no one was there to help it might have ended differently. Remember a 19 year old woman was killed by coyotes a few years ago out East.

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/9270486-caution-urged-after-close-encounter-with-coyote-in-grimsby-/

Grimsby has extremely restrictive non discharge laws as many municipalities seem to be adopting and as more and more "city folks" are moving into rural area's and not supporting hunting access this is the result.

This loss of fear seems to have been seen in some areas with wither bears following the cancellation of the spring bear hunt and I'm sure will have the same result with the cancellation of the grizzly hunt in BC, along with the protection of the "Algonquin wolf" (coy-wolf).

Whether you view coyotes as a game animal, or nuisance vermin, or believe in live and let live you have remember they aren't our friend.

Its sad to see any person or dog/cat get attacked or worst case killed but the way I see it is,,,the more we build the more we will see of them,,i honestly believe they are running out of area to live,,,

1 hour ago, shadow said:

Its sad to see any person or dog/cat get attacked or worst case killed but the way I see it is,,,the more we build the more we will see of them,,i honestly believe they are running out of area to live,,,

We will never stop Urban Sprawl  and wild animals will have their homes paved over . Business/shareholders depend on expansion to make money/profit which in turn keeps people working . We don't want the yotes in our backyards , farmers don't want them around their livestock , game hunters don't want them in the bush .  Ole Wiley Coyote gets hammered from all directions .....but he bounces right back ! 

• 3 weeks later...

As for what gun you can use its basically up to what your municipality allows. In fort Erie shotguns are allowed but 22 center is the largest rifle. I like coyote but no they are not our friends but so many bleeding hearts that feed the dam wildlife think they are. The feeders and animal lovers that treat them like pets are the biggest problem

Archived