I guess the crappie are running

marktheperchman

I got off work early yesterday so I went for a drive to check things out. Erie is still ice as far as you can see so I checked out a small creek. Some people were dipnetting (is that still legal?) and when I checked their bucket they had about half a dozen nice slabs. It looked like grandparents, a grown son and two grandsons. I told them in a roundabout way that you can't really dipnet for those kind of fish but I wasn't going to get into a pissing match. Should I have called MNR? What a shame that a younger generation is being taught that you can do whatever you want. 

It's sad that some people are that desperate to get some free fish that they would resort to doing something like this............Not a good way to teach young children........................

99.9% of us have iphones (except me).....would it not be acceptable for the MNR to accept pictures, videos , license plate numbers and even pictures of the perps in action ?

If that ain't good enough then just walk away and wish them luck......

25 minutes ago, smerchly said:

99.9% of us have iphones (except me).....would it not be acceptable for the MNR to accept pictures, videos , license plate numbers and even pictures of the perps in action ?

If that ain't good enough then just walk away and wish them luck......

Not sure if they have it but they should have a number you can text.   I’d probably send a text before making a call.  

Unfortunately....poaching skills are usually passed down through generations....locations and how to's .....might have been better off to ask the kids to check on thier phones to see if it's legal or not....without tipping them off that it is....get the kids thinking about it by playing dumb and asking them ....I'm sure grand pappy didn't bring them down to the crick and tell them " now boys we can't tell anyone about this.. its illegal"...already knowing that it is illegal...but playing it off as an innocent question.....the only kind of "game fish" that was legal to dipnet is pike with a spear/bow fishing season as well...but I'm not sure if you can even do that anymore as there are different "inland" closed seasons on pike now that never used to be in place..coinciding with walleye spawning season for example.... looking under "non angling" in the regs.....clearly you can see this is an illegal practice

Good answer JW ....  It would help to have written tests before handing people a license . It seems all they want is the $$$ and make it easy for poaching to occur .  Each fishing license should come with a reg.book and the first few pages should be all about rules , etiquette & garbage (fishing line !!!)  I picked up a bunch of line yesterday in the rocks as a pair of geese were looking to nest close by . 

Pike are now protected from spearing as they go into tribs to spawn ...only a few days left to fish for them in 16 & 20 . In some cases I think the pike population is getting out of hand and could be detrimental to some other species . ...hope the mnr keeps tabs on this also .

Too many people are ignoring the rules now .....saw a guy using 4 rods with 2 fish finders  2 weeks ago . He knew it was wrong , but decided to take the (low) risk . From what I saw , he had the buck$ and a fine would just be an inconvenience......

7 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Unfortunately....poaching skills are usually passed down through generations....locations and how to's .....might have been better off to ask the kids to check on thier phones to see if it's legal or not....without tipping them off that it is....get the kids thinking about it by playing dumb and asking them ....I'm sure grand pappy didn't bring them down to the crick and tell them " now boys we can't tell anyone about this.. its illegal"...already knowing that it is illegal...but playing it off as an innocent question.....the only kind of "game fish" that was legal to dipnet is pike with a spear/bow fishing season as well...but I'm not sure if you can even do that anymore as there are different "inland" closed seasons on pike now that never used to be in place..coinciding with walleye spawning season for example.... looking under "non angling" in the regs.....clearly you can see this is an illegal practice

Netting and spearing for pike were banned in 2008 in Zone 16

On 3/28/2019 at 3:47 AM, marktheperchman said:

I got off work early yesterday so I went for a drive to check things out. Erie is still ice as far as you can see so I checked out a small creek. Some people were dipnetting (is that still legal?) and when I checked their bucket they had about half a dozen nice slabs. It looked like grandparents, a grown son and two grandsons. I told them in a roundabout way that you can't really dipnet for those kind of fish but I wasn't going to get into a pissing match. Should I have called MNR? What a shame that a younger generation is being taught that you can do whatever you want. 

10 minutes ago, FRANKROY said:

Gotta call in everytime on poaching we are the stewards of the resource

Good answer,  but the poachers depend on the low resources of the MNR .  We can call the TIPS line and hope they can be there before the perps leave with their bounty .

I checked out a short side road today for access to a fishing spot . A BIG pile of wood pieces and garbage was tossed their . I expect to see the barriers placed there soon .

Many years ago we had "deputy" wardens who could be dispatched to spots close to the area who called . Now we have cell phones which would make that work even better . There would be no cost if the fines were large enough ......

3 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

Smerch, was this in the Thorold area? 

Yes   it was on the opposite bank where we talked about today .....a short road which gets rough half way in .

And I might add ....there's a big pile of rain going on out there , ushering in April  ....got a bunch of worms  ,  looks like some spots will have a change of water conditions ( chocolate milk) . 

The dumping there has been going on for years. The Conservation club there has been picking up the garbage for years but it is getting tough to keep up. With 1 bag garbage limits it costs individuals to pick up that much trash and put it out or drag it to the dump. Going to call the city and see if they can get out and clean it up for once.

1 hour ago, mooseslayer said:

The dumping there has been going on for years. The Conservation club there has been picking up the garbage for years but it is getting tough to keep up. With 1 bag garbage limits it costs individuals to pick up that much trash and put it out or drag it to the dump. Going to call the city and see if they can get out and clean it up for once.

It's real sad to see there are so many people who trash the outdoors  and have no concern for future generations to enjoy the same fishing spots .....and the same bunch of low intellectuals get pi$$ed off when the barriers go up .

3 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

I say fence it up with [NO TRESSPASSING] signs as well.

We all lose then ,  and I can relate to that sadly ......  Hopefully , with the help of better technology we can  nab these trashers and lighten their pockets 

A lot of these people doing the dumping in and around THorold have nothing to do with fishing. As mooseslayer said. It has been going on for years in a number of locations. Most of the messes I have seen are from DIY renovators, cheap lowball contractors and slumlords clearing out apartments. Oh, and don't forget those local garages that finally got busted for dumping tires a few years back.  People too cheap to pay the dump fees.

So true Bruce ,   the biggest piles of trash are caused by the "dumpsters" like fly by night contractors , home renovators , slumlords etc. Most of the trash left  directly beside a fishing spot are anglers (  fishing line , packaging , food & drink waste ,butts)  .  Years ago we didn't have a big problem with trash until plastic containers , wrappings etc. replaced returnable glass bottles etc. I don't expect to see any change until the cities (government) gets serious and ups the fines to $1000 ....to start . As drifter said ...."signs & fences" ....the cheapest way for cities to deal with it .....but that punishes those who care .

47 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

I've noticed that more of the tradesman rubbish is dumped in various locations, some more out of the way than others. You can tell fisherman garbage easily, like smelt run time in Queenston. Haven't been to GRT, but with all the activity there, I'm sure its a pig pen.

Queenston  smelt run is one place they should gave shut down ,  there would be such and outcry from the "smelters" and it would look good on them .

The GRT ....there are garbage barrels there which will overflow & garbage will blow everywhere . "Most" of the anglers , can't be bothered to take "their" garbage back home like I do ....

Mark I totally understand about not wanting to get into a pissing match. But unless we start protecting our resources people will keep poaching. That is exactly what they were doing, poaching. You can't catch anything other than baitfish with a dip net. 

We all need to be doing our part. You can take a picture of these guys, take their plate number and send it to the ministry anonymously... what is so difficult? I would have dumped his bucket back in myself if I watched him dip crappie. 

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

The GRT ....there are garbage barrels there which will overflow & garbage will blow everywhere . "Most" of the anglers , can't be bothered to take "their" garbage back home like I do ....

Problem with GRT is that the city puts the barrels there, but refuse to come down and empty them.

4 minutes ago, cutthroat dan said:

I  was down there a week ago and the amount of cigerette butts on shore and in the water  were awful . Some people seem to think that butts are not litter .

That is true of every spot with a lot of fishing traffic, but usually I watch these "anglers" toss their butts straight into the water

Archived