Sault saint marie

Limey

We're taking my stepson up to the soo next Friday for his college open house on the Saturday. 

I'm planning on squeezing at least a couple of hours fishing in,  any tips of where to go and what I have best chance of targeting up there this time of year would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers,  Limey. 

I lived up in the soo like 25 years ago.....check the regs...not sure on the rules in that area anymore but....all along "the boardwalk " downtown can be good....huge pink and chinook runs up there in the fall.... decent bows....whitefish....if you go by the locks there is an mnr building there and a lamprey research centre that you can check out...its pretty neat......there is a park....belview park it's called.....there is a shallow bay that runs in there off the river that has some killer pike fishing sometimes...we would use spinnerbaits there and the pike would often run right up to the bank..flop on the ground and back in the water chasing our baits...20lbers not uncommon in there...lol....there are also some spots on the side of the hwy in and out of the soo that have signs where the mnr stocks put and take splake in them.....some of those little spots are also full of natural run brookies as well.....again though....check the regs for that area and the st Mary's river

Current is pretty fast downtown along the boardwalk....bottom bouncing like on the Niagara is a good way to go.....during the fall salmon run guys will even use portable downriggers clamped to the railings from shore to drop thier baits down.....above the locks there is a couple cool spots up toward the train bridge as well....hope that helps a bit with a couple areas to check out

44 minutes ago, Limey said:

Absolutely brilliant mate, exactly what I was after,  huge thanks 👍

No problem....all those spots are easy to find ....have parking....and all along the boardwalk they actually keep it pristine and promote fishing...the spots on the side of the hwy I mentioned have visible signs in and around the water put there by the mnr....for the purpose of put and take fishing

If you are around the boardwalk checking it out...I believe there is a bait and tackle shop right there down town around the queen st area.....near the holiday inn ect.....and in general the people in that region are alot nicer than the people around here..  lol

16 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

the people in that region are alot nicer than the people around here..

:angry:  wazzup wid that  Jack ? :angry2:

:P

• 4 months later...

So when we went in April we were far too busy for a chance to wet the lines unfortunately. 

We went back up on Monday,  satnav took us the wrong way up towards sarnia to take us into Michigan and we didn't have our passports so that made it a 13.5 hour drive 😭

Got up early on the Tuesday,  took the rods and camping stove to Bellevue park,  fished for an hour against a strong wind without a bite so we cracked the stove open and feasted on a good old full English brekky,  took the sting out of the skunk if nothing else,  spent the rest of the morning and afternoon getting bits for mason's accommodation. 

Went out for a good feed then made our way down to the boardwalk pier,  hellishly fast current,  tried all sorts only to skunk again. 

Wednesday we went for a nice hike up to Robertson lake cliffs, even saw where the bears had slept the night before,  decided to just wing it,  came to a place called heyden lake but couldn't really find anywhere accessible to fish from so carried out up to Island lake.

Found a nice little man made beach,  the moon was just making an appearance, first cast I lost my new jointed jitterbug,  tears lol. 

Slapped on a rapala top water popper on and SMASH,  got it close to the water's edge and was convinced I had my first pike, unfortunately it was just the way the weeds were wrapped around its head,  still it was a personal best for me,  fished for another hour but only got tiddlers, what a beautiful night though .

Thursday we traveled home,  deliberately ignoring the shitbag satnav and avoided the wrong route lol, stopped a few places to walk the dog and have a few casts, nuttin, found a place well off the beaten track called Hartley's bay, again only a couple of tiddlers,  hey ho.

Long few days but loved it, seriously considering selling up and moving somewhere up there,  employment being the biggest hurdle. 

Few pics...

WOW !  What a story !   So you ended up at Sarnia and had to go back .....t'is a big country here Limey !   

Is that a salmon or a laker ?  ....and that's a nice fat smallie ....looks like the shoreline of Harris Lake along the highway ....

Beauty shots of the landscape too !   ....such a contrast to the cities eh ? 

We have been here since June 7 , looking at the lake through the front window , just steps from my boat .....wife says she could move here in a New York minut....but alas ....at our age it would be a big strain on the old bodies .....152 years between us .....so we will take the 4 months per year here and 

be happy with that .

And nice to see a happy dog having a treat ....they are our "kids" you know...  good on ya mate  !.

I THINK it was a laker bill but not 100% sure.

4 months is always something to look forward to though mate.

We were really worried about taking the dog on such a long journey as he's never been a fan of cars but I just didn't have the heart to leave him as he gets bad separation anxiety at the best of times, we took him him on a long walk beforehand and gave him a  a few drops off doggy cbd oil,  he was good as gold though, definitely our baby mate as all the kids are grown and flown the coop.

Yes , looks like a laker to me as well . Our dog doesn't like car rides so we give her Gravol , recommended by our vet, seemed to work well for 3-4 hr.trip .That lure looks a little sad ,  some surgery and new limbs can fixer up to see another fish .

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’d have to say that’s a chinook. 

yep, Id say its a size 14 boot. Lol. Great pics. Did you fish St Marys rapids at all?  Any Idea how many gates were open?

Well blimey it must be a chinook !   My first gander at it , thought it was a salmon ....but then the "laker" spots threw me off .....and the location and time of year .  The mouth & eye give it that "salmon"  look .  

There you go Limey .....the smerch 's eye's are failing  ....  :blink:                   looks like a carp    ....

On 8/19/2019 at 2:05 AM, DaveC said:

yep, Id say its a size 14 boot. Lol. Great pics. Did you fish St Marys rapids at all?  Any Idea how many gates were open?

When I looked on Google the Rapids seemed to be on the states side Dave?

On 8/20/2019 at 1:20 PM, Limey said:

When I looked on Google the Rapids seemed to be on the states side Dave?

https://www.northernontario.travel/sault-ste-marie/gone-fishing-four-seasons-of-fly-fishing-in-the-st-marys-rapids

On 8/25/2019 at 5:32 AM, DaveC said:

Is that it in the middle? 

I was unsure if you could get to whitefish island...

Screenshot_20190826-093810_Maps.jpg

Archived