Smelts

Chrisb

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing again tonight.

I don't know if the timing is off, the spot is bad or the smelts are gone.

Is anyone else getting anything on Lake Erie?

Back in the 50's  it was nothing to get over 100 per dip , many over 8" . Farmers used them for fertilizer !  We got bushels of them at spots like Lock 1 , Port Dal.harbour , Jordan Harbour , Queenston & out Lake Erie way at Rathfon Inn . The salmon have reduced them greatly .  I have heard they get good catches north of T.O. including Lake Simcoe ...  Maybe they haven't got into full swing (swim) yet ....hope you get some of those tasty critters .

I thought the smelt migration were temp sensitive , I read water temp should be from 38-40 degrees. Water was still 36 degrees yesterday. Could happen anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure most spring fishing we are all used to is a bit out of whack this spring.....I scoped out some spots last month that should have shown signs......nada....haven't been fishing last couple weeks cuz I'm back to work...but doesn't seem I'm missing much.....lol....high water....ice....rain....water is colder than usual still......everything is just off by that one little bit

I heard there was a very small number at rami's bend in canal this year through the ice fishing season also .maybe just a bad year for them .or theyre just behind because of weather and water temps and levels .good luck!

From what I've read from Google info , we are better off without smelts since they are an invasive fish . Lots of info on them from Google & comments from people in Ontario .  Some say the zebra mussels played a part clearing the water and driving the smelts to deeper water .....maybe the gobies eat smelt spawn as well .

....one article of many  ......

http://www.invadingspecies.com/rainbow-smelt/

Archived