Hamilton Harbour Goldfish

smerchly

Just read this in the Review .....    these fish can survive in low oxygen waters very well .  Hoping they can't reproduce well in cold water....

https://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/news-story/9293024-goldfish-are-replacing-carp-as-the-scourge-of-hamilton-harbour/

That is a pretty cool article...I caught a big version of a white aquarium type catfish out lake st Clair when I was a kid and my grandparents had a summer place there.....unfortunately some people think nothing of dumping thier unwanted pets into the water.....there was a point in time way back when goldfish where popular bass bait......I'm sure many of us have seen a koi or 2 in some pretty wierd places........might be interesting to try out a bait mixture from the list of preferred items they say carp eat in the article......and give the wife a big surprise in the fridge when you have all the Tupperware filled up with bugs and slugs...ect....😁 or the look on her face when she walks in on you whipping up a batch of bait in her new $300 kitchenaid 😲🤣

2 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

the look on her face when she walks in on you whipping up a batch of bait in her new $300 kitchenaid 😲🤣

JW ....you are cruisin for a bruisin .....hope you don't eat those words.....  :clapping:Jerry Jerry !!

On 4/20/2019 at 8:20 AM, DNorton said:

Interesting read. I didn’t think the common carp was invasive ? I thought it was one of the species that were always here. Hmm

In my opinion, I think you're more right about carp than those who call 'em "invasive."  I believe the term "naturalize" best represents carp, who were stocked here well over a hundred years ago as a food fish, and are now one of the only fish that can survive in the degraded habitats we've created.     

Since we got heavily involved with world trade we have "imported"  many invasive species that have cost us billions of dollars . Zebra mussels & gobies  are now just part of the eco system . Invasive bugs have killed millions of trees at a huge cost ( to us) to control . I agree , carp are now "naturalized" in Ontario . Fishing has changed dramatically since the 50's when we caught fish like brookies  & eels . Smelts & alewives were thick along the lake shores until salmon were stocked . I think we have much more to worry about than carp as more  invasive species make Canada their new home. We sure pay a dear price for importing  products from around the globe...called "taxes" .

'

Archived