Carp supplies

Tyler0420

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go gett'em Tyler ....looks like you are armed well !    The carp will soon be packing on the lbs. I'll soon be boiling up another batch of maize .

.....one reason for using maize is because the gobies can't rob you like they do with soft can corn . I also use the corn puffs but check the bait after any nibbles or after 20 minutes.....

That’s awesome! I love carping been scouting spots all week in hopes to get some time on the water this weekend ! I would suggest doing some maize like Smerch said helps keep the cost down when your on them and your chumming like crazy. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, DNorton said:

That’s awesome! I love carping been scouting spots all week in hopes to get some time on the water this weekend ! I would suggest doing some maize like Smerch said helps keep the cost down when your on them and your chumming like crazy. 

Well Norton ,  fishing in chocolate milk today after a good rain last night , I chummed the spot with $ store corn , fished with it for 1.5 hrs., and not a carp in sight . Changed baits ...a nice fat worm & the bites started ...some bull cats & a chunky carp . That's my 3rd carp,  all taken on worms this year . When the water viz is down to 1/4 " worms seem to attract more fish . ....hoping the water warms up but next week doesn't look so good...more rain & cold . Lake O. is getting high again ....water is over the road at the Jordan Conservation Park , right at the door step of the building & once again closed to vehicles...

I'll have to keep your worm recommendation in mind, Smerchly, on these muddy waters that spring brings us.  I remember an early spring session last year when my maize caught squat while the catfisherman right beside me caught a carp on, you guessed it, worms!   It just seems to work more often than not, maybe because rain and run-off brings worms to their dinner table at this time of year and they're conditioned to feed on them. 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:42 AM, Tyler0420 said:

Ordered it Tuesday and it came today. Hopefully I can try it out later on. 

Still waiting to try out my new gear. Figured I’d squeeze in a few more trout outtings before that’s over.  Carp time soon. 

On 5/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, Mike Pike said:

maybe because rain and run-off brings worms to their dinner table at this time of year and they're conditioned to feed on them. 

That seem to be a logical reason Mike . One spot we fish there's a current from runoff about 50 yds. out & we drop our worms & corn on the edge of the current where it's also a little deeper from the current path.  I think the fish are there waiting for the goodies .  I should be out there today  , but it's flower planting day &  other yard work . (corn in the bag ready for action) 🏁

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t put too much time into it. It was getting dark. Not sure how I like it. Takes too long to set up. If the fish are hot you’ll be spending more time putting your rig together then actually fishing.   I’ll be putting some more time into it forsure. 

Gotta watch those bags ,  a wet mix will melt the bag quickly . I saw a vid where a guy was using can corn in the bag but he salted the corn which prevented premature evaporation of the bag .....😁

I have some pva line which can be used with a single piece of toilet paper  loaded with a semi-dry bait . When it hits the drink the bag will fall apart and the line will melt away ....tried a proto type in the toilet bowl ....seems to work .....   (genius )   B) 

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Gotta watch those bags ,  a wet mix will melt the bag quickly . I saw a vid where a guy was using can corn in the bag but he salted the corn which prevented premature evaporation of the bag .....😁

I have some pva line which can be used with a single piece of toilet paper  loaded with a semi-dry bait . When it hits the drink the bag will fall apart and the line will melt away ....tried a proto type in the toilet bowl ....seems to work .....   (genius )   B) 

Smerch you have the greatest inventions.  

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Smerch you have the greatest inventions.  

Actually Ty ,  even though I  don't fully believe in horoscopes ,  I seem to be living up to the Pisces predictions ....  like being a dreamer , artsy & all that jazz .

And ....of course there's a pair of twin fish .......     :Gonefishing:

Don't give up on the bags, Tyler.  Although I haven't used the PVA clear bags, I DO regularly use the PVA mesh bags.  It's a huge confidence boost to load up a bag with goodies and know that your hook bait is nicely sitting right there among it.  And what I do is make sure that whatever hook bait I'm using, I include a little of it in my bags, as well.

Also, I pre-tie my bags at home.  I find it a pain tying bags on the bank, like you do.  Plus, while my head is buried tying bags, I'm not watching the water for signs of carp, like bubbling, wakes, etc.     

When fishing Gib a few days ago  I was using pack bait ...oats & cream corn  . I  mixed some on the spot & for chumming I mixed it a little extra wet into golf ball size which fit nicely in the slingshot . I could easily fire it out  75 -80'  to where I would toss my drier mix with the puff corn . I noticed the weed line was about 75' out so I fished inside  . I'm sure the puff corn was in some weeds &  it floats 5-6" off bottom . I think my first carp hit the bait in the 8-12" weeds .  I need to seek out methods for carp fishing in both short & tall weeds. Hoping to give it a try at Quinte this year ....weeds are 5-6' tall and very strong  ( 100lb braid) ?   :Gonefishing:

3 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Don't give up on the bags, Tyler.  Although I haven't used the PVA clear bags, I DO regularly use the PVA mesh bags.  It's a huge confidence boost to load up a bag with goodies and know that your hook bait is nicely sitting right there among it.  And what I do is make sure that whatever hook bait I'm using, I include a little of it in my bags, as well.

Also, I pre-tie my bags at home.  I find it a pain tying bags on the bank, like you do.  Plus, while my head is buried tying bags, I'm not watching the water for signs of carp, like bubbling, wakes, etc.     

What kind of rig are you using for your mesh bags? 

are you using a baiting needle? Pretty much pull the swivel of the rig through the bag till the hook bottoms out in it?

I just use a bolt rig with the bait( usually a couple kernels of maize )hooked onto a hair rig.  Then, I simply hook the mess bag with the hook( the hook grabs the mesh nicely and I've never lost it on the cast ).   Easy Peasy.  There's just a bit more to rigging your PVA bags( sorry I can't help you with 'em because I've never packed 'em myself)but you're gonna master it Tyler!       

Loving the info on this thread. Picked me up some pva mesh bags to give a shot. Have previously tried them with little to no luck loosing a lot of bait on the cast or just nothing taking. All this talk got me interested to try again! 

• 2 weeks later...

Fished for 1.5 hours tonight as it got dark. Baiting the hair I noticed the hook was a little straighter then it was suppose to be but I said oh well and fished with it anyways. Hooked one fish and couple seconds later the hook popped. So now I’ll change the rig..... no other bites, lots of action on the water though. 

02620324-D127-4692-9A64-CCAB5BB55A91.jpeg

Looks like a great spot for carp  & cats . How deep there Tyler ?

I'm going to give Jordan a shot in the a.m.  ......and my hook is razor sharp and  ready for the big one .   B)

I keep a fine sharpening stone in my pack ....also have used a very smooth stone from the lake to de-burr a hook .

So far this year all my carp have been caught in water between 2' to 5' , except one which was about 7-8' .

I'll be trying a  spot today about 7' deep ....scattered weeds , hoping the puff corn /pack bait works there .

Hey don't beat yourself up over the hook Tyler.  You'll never know if that was the cause of the missed fish or not.  Plus, no lost fish is totally a loss if we learn from it.  Neat looking swim and now you know they're there!

Archived