Carp supplies

Tyler0420

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been fishing with the same group of guys this year at the harbour, it’s paid off. One day I left my rod in the water (forgot to come back for it). I went to go fishing and realized it was missing so I went to check where I was the day before and buddy had it sitting there waiting for me.

another guy gave me a rod bag,spod rod, 2 5000 series reels and spods. It was all extra stuff he had and knew I could use it. 

So I’m pumped to try out the new reels and now I don’t have to switch my reel to a different rod when fishing carp and now salmon.  

Send me there names & cell phone #'s Tyler ....we could become friends very quickly !  You are fully loaded now !!   :Gonefishing:

I'll be carping soon as I power wash the mold off my rod & reel .  Hope to see you soon with your new arsenal of equipment .

I'll be checking out a few spots with my year old maize , 3 year old corn puffs ,  fresh cream corn , p&c. corn , fresh oats , bread , and pine apple for desert !

....Experimenting with my Picasa pictures ....sent to desktop , cropped , resized at 25%  and dragged into post ....

white bass  which everyone there calls silver bass .... (good eating)

white bass.jpg

7 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Send me there names & cell phone #'s Tyler ....we could become friends very quickly !  You are fully loaded now !!   :Gonefishing:

I'll be carping soon as I power wash the mold off my rod & reel .  Hope to see you soon with your new arsenal of equipment .

I'll be checking out a few spots with my year old maize , 3 year old corn puffs ,  fresh cream corn , p&c. corn , fresh oats , bread , and pine apple for desert !

Maize..... I still need to get some and try making my own recipe. 

17 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Maize..... I still need to get some and try making my own recipe. 

I get my maize from Minor Brothers , only $10 for 55 lbs..... cheap bait .  After it is cooked and expanded x3  you have a lot of bait for your hair . :D

I don't know if some grind it up and use it for their spod bait ....maybe add some bird seed to it  (also cheap). I bought some large oats at $1  per lb , yesterday (cheap too) or stale bread or buns  , lots of goodies for your spod Ty.....heading out in a hour to herazz the carp .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I get my maize from Minor Brothers , only $10 for 55 lbs..... cheap bait .  After it is cooked and expanded x3  you have a lot of bait for your hair . :D

I don't know if some grind it up and use it for their spod bait ....maybe add some bird seed to it  (also cheap). I bought some large oats at $1  per lb , yesterday (cheap too) or stale bread or buns  , lots of goodies for your spod Ty.....heading out in a hour to herazz the carp .

Lucky you, enjoy the day smerch. 

On 8/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, smerchly said:

....Experimenting with my Picasa pictures ....sent to desktop , cropped , resized at 25%  and dragged into post ....

white bass  which everyone there calls silver bass .... (good eating)

white bass.jpg

Glad you can post pics now smerch.  Now where’s the carp from today?

49 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Glad you can post pics now smerch.  Now where’s the carp from today?

It takes a while to unload a pic.from Picasa to Firefox , then to desktop where I can crop it down by 70% ...but I can't lighten-darken the picture .  Here's the REST of the story ....

I arrived at the scene at 09:30  ....chummed the spot with oat/corn pack bait & some maize .....set up the gear & baited the line with pack bait & a corn puff . Nothing happening ....rebaited 3 times ...notta sniff . Then I went to the hair rig with maize ....nothing happening , even after a carp surfaced 5 meters from my bait .

So ....feeling defeated by a fish I started packing up at 12:30 and removed my rod from the alarm stand & set it on a stump in the water while I packed the alarm & stand ....( have to get that last minute in before pulling the rod ) !!  Then 3 guys came towards me with their carp gear in hand ....I said hello , I'm just leaving ... looked at my rod and line was peeling off !!  It was a good scrap ( really scratched my itch nicely )  and one fellow landed it for me & a youngster about 11 years old took a quick shot for me . They were from T.O. and will stay the night there ...maybe for catfish .

So ...I'm a happy camper ....got my first carp  , about 7-8 lbs. 

First Carp.jpg

Good going smerch.  You still have it in ya. Most of my fish have came in the last hour of fishing this year. Atleast 4 times when I’ve taken my rod off the alarm and about to pack it up it goes off. And of course I can’t stay cuz I have something todo. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Good going smerch.  You still have it in ya. Most of my fish have came in the last hour of fishing this year. At least 4 times when I’ve taken my rod off the alarm and about to pack it up it goes off. And of course I can’t stay cuz I have something to do. 

The maize did it again !   Maybe should have started with the maize . The puffed corn seems to work better in the shallower spots , even with a few scattered weeds ....will give it another go next time .  One thing about having higher winds ....there's always a bank to fish with off shore winds.  

....and the itch goes on .....   :Gonefishing:

Way go go Smerch and good on ya for leaving the rod in until the last moment.  Ocassionally it does pay off! 

I went out yesterday but blanked.  I even left the rod in until the last moment too but didn't enjoy the same fate as you.  As a matter of fact, when I was leaving with all my gear slung over my shoulders, rod and net in hand, I looked back at my swim and saw a carp jump twice over my bait.  Bugger that. 

Well Mike , it's now September and I'm hoping the carp will know it too !  They say August is a poor fishing month and the fish will be in the 'mood' in Sept.  Four of us met up today and it was a chore to get 2 carp . We used a variety of baits but  the fish were still "shy"   .  I've had carp jump over my bait too  and still get skunked  !  Maddening isn't it  !!    I'll add to this later with a couple pictures . 

12 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well Mike , it's now September and I'm hoping the carp will know it too !  They say August is a poor fishing month and the fish will be in the 'mood' in Sept.  Four of us met up today and it was a chore to get 2 carp . We used a variety of baits but  the fish were still "shy"   .  I've had carp jump over my bait too  and still get skunked  !  Maddening isn't it  !!    I'll add to this later with a couple pictures . 

Ya it was a nice day out and got to meet two new people, no fish for me but still a good day, Till I got home and my truck died......

I hope it's not a serious problem with the truck Tyler . I'll be scouting around the waters to see where those monster carp are hiding .....so many spots to check .

Good to do a fish with you again even though the fishing was slow . NICE rod/reel set up have there , never seen a reel like that old Daiwa carp reel . 

As the water cools I'm hoping the carp will turn on again  .

On 9/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, smerchly said:

I'll add to this later with a couple pictures . 

On 8/30/2019 at 2:28 PM, smerchly said:

They were from T.O. and will stay the night there ...maybe for catfish .

Well .....it looks like these guys did stay the night where I was fishing . When I left the spot was clean except for some mono line which I scooped up . Upon arriving to the same spot yesterday I saw a big bag of garbage left where we park and more trash scattered about . When I got to the spot where they "fished"  ...or partied , the trash they left was sickening !!

They obviously ate well (if you like canned ham) and left booze bottles , beer bottles, cans , worm boxes , wrappers .......and one smashed beer bottle with dozens of sharp fragments for kids or animals to cut their feet . SLOBS !  One guys was a "serious carper" with all the carp gear  and pack baits .  too bad these people don't have much matter between their ears .

I would be in favor of having all beer in cans !  .....lots of other reasons for this also .

If I see these useless dudes fishing locally , I would like to "thank them" in my own way .......

trash.jpg

broken beer bottle.jpg

I’m liking the new reel, way quicker reeling in from long distances now. Looking forward to getting a fish on it and checking out the drag. The reel is and older carp reel that wasn’t a bait runner to begin with but diawa made a baitrunner mechanism for them you just switch out the “drag screw” on top of the reel. 

8D917720-2976-49B0-A520-B9EB3E7B5C04.jpeg

7FA31EAB-8B66-46DC-AEDE-22661F225093.jpeg

07640A57-DDCD-4CA5-9CB5-40CA02DE16AE.jpeg

I've never seen anything like that reel Tyler.  

And Smerch, it's a real shame that that group from Toronto comes down and leaves all their crap down here, including broken glass.  Great example for the younger one they had with them, eh?  

Menacing looking rod & reel Tyler ....the carp are hiding in the mud !   :ninja:   That would be a great rod to use for shore lake fishing where the big girls like to head to T.O.

The small 7-8 lb. carp took off like a rocket  & peeled off a lot of line ....imagine what a 30# could do ......

I like that pipe bait launcher too ....it can fire that corn a long way , effortlessly ! 

Mike .....yes , these were adults with a young boy .....way to show the kid how "adults" dispose their garbage .   The broken bottle had many small fragments that could cut someones foot or a dogs feet .  I picked up every little sliver of glass & put it in my heavy plastic "maize" bag to take home ....

Reading  today about some places in Ontario banning night fishing . ...putting no parking sign hours up at spots frequented by anglers .....don't know if it's connected to garbage left behind  or other reasons ?   I can see some benefits for this in some spots I fish ......looking for any statements from the MNR ....

Brantford/Hamilton area are nothing like what we fished at Gibby. That place was a dump site. Still wouldn’t agree with banning night fishing because of garbage. I can leave a pile of garbage during the day also. 

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Brantford/Hamilton area are nothing like what we fished at Gibby. That place was a dump site. Still wouldn’t agree with banning night fishing because of garbage. I can leave a pile of garbage during the day also. 

Catching the "dumpsters" in the act is very rare .  There isn't enough resources to do it .  Some of these people will put their garbage in a bag and leave the bag there !!  ??  :dunno: Who do they think is supposed to take those stinking bags away ?  Sometimes there are clean ups done by volunteers ,  some anglers will pick up some light trash and the city may send a crew out to pick up the garbage . ....and I'm sure it will be noted as a place of   $$concern$$ . 

There are ways to catch these slobs using technology ...like hidden cameras , etc.....some hope for the future . Some signs would help ...."  $1000 fine for littering ", might be a good start .  One thing about night fishing Tyler ....the cops can easily get the boozers !  

• 2 weeks later...

So finally went to Tsc and grabbed 25kg of feed corn. 13$  what a deal compared to cans of corn.  Soaking it in vanilla flavour for 24hours and boiling for 30min. Turned out perfect.  Baited a swim heavy one night and the next two days I went the spot was taken so that was a waste. On the 2&3 batch now.   Girlfriend came in thinking I was baking her a cake lol. NOPE just carp food baby hahahah. 

I got my "cow corn" at Minor Bro's in Pelham for $10 .....soaked a batch for 27 hrs. brought to a boil (simmer) for 30 min.& let cool for a couple hours ....have to keep an eye on it to prevent too many from splitting when too soft . When threading the corn on the hair (or hook) I found that using a sharp needle or pin to  scratch a tiny hole on the hard side of the corn will prevent it from splitting when loading up the needle . 

Maybe ask the guy real nicely if you can fish next to him and help land the fish for him ....??   Offer free tips .... or choke him !  -_- 

You can still make some corn bread for the lady friend .......

• 1 month later...

Went to sail today to get a few things. Ended up getting a bunch of rig making stuff. Bought some chilli tiger nuts to hopefully heat things up. I check out the hunting section and seen they had apple flavoured corn for only 2$ more then the stuff I buy from tsc. They also have some flavouring call “buck juice” that I’ve seen guys use as a gulg. Pretty cheap compared to carp glugs. Both things I passed on this time. Went to tsc to get some feed corn and ended up getting deer corn that was mixed with molasses.  Hopefully the carp will like the sweet treat. 

95E9A948-374A-42EE-91A1-595D25926D59.jpeg

Archived