St. John's

Double_Dk

Every one er i take my kids to St. John's just as my father took me 30 years earlier. 

Always a great time in my 30 years previous. 

This year, I noticed they had done a lot of work to the shore line, armour stone around more then half.  

However, the pond is in poor shape. So much algae and sea weed, and we haven't hit may or consistent warm weather. 

The introduction of sun fish and bass may have something to do with it but I feel like the pond needs a cleaning.

The other issue is how many trout are actually put in!  I remember as a 10 year old hearing 1000 trout we're dumped in for opener.  10 years later, over 500....

Today, I saw 4 trout caught around the pond.  This was 1:30pm.

Very sad that the stocking program seems to be falling off as new generation of fishers won't be able to enjoy the magic of fishing there. 

It is reflective of being a pond.  Although spring fed there is no where for runoff to go, so overtime it fills in and gets shallower.  Same could be said for dufferin islands in the falls.  It has become very shallow.  Both could probably use a dredging to help restore them.

1 hour ago, Snags said:

It is reflective of being a pond.  Although spring fed there is no where for runoff to go, so overtime it fills in and gets shallower.  Same could be said for dufferin islands in the falls.  It has become very shallow.  Both could probably use a dredging to help restore them.

According to this You Tube video , the pond was loaded with algae , sunfish , turtles , frogs , minnows ....all snack food for that green heron . It was posted about 13-14 years ago by none other than Daniel Andrews .......relative of yours Tyler ?  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUADBYkgfyk

35 minutes ago, smerchly said:

According to this You Tube video , the pond was loaded with algae , sunfish , turtles , frogs , minnows ....all snack food for that green heron . It was posted about 13-14 years ago by none other than Daniel Andrews .......relative of yours Tyler ?  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUADBYkgfyk

As far as I know not relatives. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

As far as I know not relatives. 

If , by chance , he is related to you ....then you and I may be related too , since he is my son  .....  :D

30 minutes ago, iscoDisco said:

I went there with my wife and little girl but failed to catch one. Some people caught some trout, bass, sunfish but trout looks like picky that only a few caught it compared to lots of crowd.

The cold front would probably shut the trout down combined with them being skittish since they would have only recently been dumped in.

Those trout are domesticated trout . Unlike their wild cousins , they do not fear people and will go for anything tossed into the water .

I've seen them taken on corn  and small worms .  By the looks of the crowds of people the trout won't last long .....:Gonefishing:

Too bad the pond wasn't spring fed like many that are locally .

53 minutes ago, fredfisher said:

Fished yesterday at st.johns...two of us caught sun rays only 😎. Was there for an hour and a half and saw no one pull a fish out.

Booooo....losing your touch there Fred  .....or have all the trouties been caught .....

As a side note which includes St.John's area .....just heard a report on CKTB that the tick count is much higher than last year , many more black legged buggers !

Be extra aware ....just had a neighbour drop in who's sister is going through 3 months of tick treatment in Florida ....our ill-ustrious government doesn't "recognize" Lyme's as a medical issue and will not pay for out of country coverage...

I grew up a bike ride from St. Johns. When it first opened , the first few years, early 60's, they actually put Brookies in there and there was no trash fish or algae. The pics I have seen recently it looks pretty sad.

49 minutes ago, CptWaldo said:

I caught lure in my hand once during opening day.  :(

Who found you Waldo ?  Nice to see you ! 

Well , you caught "something"  , no skunk there .... 

Not the natural run of brookies that used to  be in there not the stocking for sure....you want to attract those fish...chum the water with those pellets like the hatcheries feed the fish....I've seen it work well at a couple "pay to fish" places.. ..hoards of them come to where the pellets where tossed...lol

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago. I would go to FIREMANS park and help the Ministry put Trout in. The first time we would put in 20000 rainbow and then for 2 weeks a 1000 a week. It was great down there. Then the city of Niagara filled in a wetland area to make a garbage dump. All the springs in the area became polluted. So ended the stocking of FIREMANS park.

1 hour ago, F4U said:

Years ago. I would go to FIREMANS park and help the Ministry put Trout in. The first time we would put in 20000 rainbow and then for 2 weeks a 1000 a week. It was great down there. Then the city of Niagara filled in a wetland area to make a garbage dump. All the springs in the area became polluted. So ended the stocking of FIREMANS park.

I still take my kids to fireman’s park for pan fish it’s fun for them and I can watch them all the way around the pond and not worry to much. 

Archived