Sign in to follow this  
smerchly

Lake Levels

High water seems to be everywhere again this spring , from Ottawa , Bracebridge , Ohio , and in the Niagara lake fronts . The east pier at Port  Dal. is closed again , and I just read this on line .....https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9352134-lake-ontario-marine-rescue-facility-flooded-in-grimsby/

It 's still hasn't reached the 2017 levels ,  but still causing a lot of damage .

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

High water seems to be everywhere again this spring , from Ottawa , Bracebridge , Ohio , and in the Niagara lake fronts . The east pier at Port  Dal. is closed again , and I just read this on line .....https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9352134-lake-ontario-marine-rescue-facility-flooded-in-grimsby/

It 's still hasn't reached the 2017 levels ,  but still causing a lot of damage .

Just around the corner from my home, highest I've seen it in my 35 years here, down a bit now, it was wind that pushed it that high.

edit: this is the exterior of the building in the Standard article

pumphouse.jpg

Edited by dave524

Just got back from Port Dal. ,water is over the pier at the lighthouse which has lots of sandbags around it .In that photo Dave , one would think a wall of sand bags would help keep the water from entering the building ....same thing with the Conservation park at Jordan , but I don't see the bags there .

I saw charlie Ray's truck there (Fishful Thinking)  , probably out on the calm lake today .

FF ....I don't know what they can do about the lake level when all the other lakes spill into Lake O. other than better control of the dams . As we keep expanding our cities , we will have more runoff going into the lakes (all of them) . Maybe Trudoo will add more to the carbon tax , I'm sure that will fix the problem , wee ?

Lake Ontario is 100% controllable by the damn at Cornwall. Problem is they can't open it to let the water out or Montreal will be flooded out. Once the Ottawa river slows down they can open the gates and let Lake Ontario go back down.

Edited by Chrisb

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Just got back from Port Dal. ,water is over the pier at the lighthouse which has lots of sandbags around it .In that photo Dave , one would think a wall of sand bags would help keep the water from entering the building ....same thing with the Conservation park at Jordan , but I don't see the bags there .

I saw charlie Ray's truck there (Fishful Thinking)  , probably out on the calm lake today .

FF ....I don't know what they can do about the lake level when all the other lakes spill into Lake O. other than better control of the dams . As we keep expanding our cities , we will have more runoff going into the lakes (all of them) . Maybe Trudoo will add more to the carbon tax , I'm sure that will fix the problem , wee ?

Smerch, that is the exterior of the building in the Standard article, looks like a few bags at the one door , maybe the others is underwater. Wow, first taxes can act like a thermostat controlling the temperature of the earth , now they can act like a dam floodgate controlling the lake levels, who would have thunk 😏  Guess I should have got a degree in drama instead of a honours  science.

Edited by dave524

We are "supposed " to take our 5th wheel trailer to Mohawk Bay campground this weekend .... just informed the park is too wet to get the trailer into our planned site . There is a lake front trailer for sale there ....would be nice to buy it and sell ours . Lake front cost more but worth the extra for the view and docking convenience .....so we are mulling it over to sell ours and have the other one ready to use anytime .....just a big pain selling the 5th wheel which is now in Ft.Erie ... It could be a while before the camp ground is ready as more rain is on the way ..... 

....btw , the 5th wheel with one push out is a 2002 , same year as the one for sale which is larger & has a nice deck !  Decisions ,decisions . :dunno:

...we made an offer on the trailer , hope it's accepted .....putting ours on kijiji soon , then at a compound storage place .

Edited by smerchly

Wow that sucks bill....I bet alot of people up in muskoka way ect aren't starting thier summer camp season very well....was going to help my brother bring his boat to buckhorn a couple weeks ago.....suggested he check with the park first.....he was informed that he wouldn't be able to get it in the little road that goes into the park.

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

Charlie was filming a show on kings with today.

6 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Wow that sucks bill....I bet alot of people up in muskoka way ect aren't starting thier summer camp season very well....was going to help my brother bring his boat to buckhorn a couple weeks ago.....suggested he check with the park first.....he was informed that he wouldn't be able to get it in the little road that goes into the park.

Going to be a lot of unhappy campers all over Ontario this spring Jack .  ....might also be bad for mosquitos too ! 

The banks at our park are high enough to not worry about flooding ....hoping to make a deal on a 35' park trailer soon.....

...we now have to pay hst to buy the trailer , hst on the lot fees and hst on the dock fees .....the greedy government now grabs millions more from us .... food tax next ?

Edited by smerchly

On 5/14/2019 at 3:44 PM, smerchly said:

We are "supposed " to take our 5th wheel trailer to Mohawk Bay campground this weekend .... just informed the park is too wet to get the trailer into our planned site . There is a lake front trailer for sale there ....would be nice to buy it and sell ours . Lake front cost more but worth the extra for the view and docking convenience .....so we are mulling it over to sell ours and have the other one ready to use anytime .....just a big pain selling the 5th wheel which is now in Ft.Erie ... It could be a while before the camp ground is ready as more rain is on the way ..... 

....btw , the 5th wheel with one push out is a 2002 , same year as the one for sale which is larger & has a nice deck !  Decisions ,decisions . :dunno:

...we made an offer on the trailer , hope it's accepted .....putting ours on kijiji soon , then at a compound storage place . 

Just made a deal on the park trailer .....offer was accepted !  No need to haul the 5th wheeler up there , hoping to be there early June . ....beauty spot !

:Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:...that's me in the middle......

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Just made a deal on the park trailer .....offer was accepted !  No need to haul the 5th wheeler up there , hoping to be there early June . ....beauty spot !

:Gonefishing::Gonefishing::Gonefishing:...that's me in the middle......

Congrats on the new purchase smerch. I’d love a lake front trailer. 

congrats on your purchase. Unfortunatly  I will not be with the guys at Mohawk  this year. I will be heading to Lake Simcoe for the 24 weekend 

Thank you gentlemen !  

We can see right down "long reach" right from the front windows, and also see our boat at the docks .RJR ...if you are in the area , come see us at West #3 , right in front of the docks .  

And ...oh ya ....I'll be wetting the carp rod there as well !