Crazy Carp Day

smerchly

It started out with a few fat bull heads , then wham !!  , first carp just under 10 lbs ....getting friskier as the water warms . It looks like a lamprey mark on it ...never caught a carp with it before .  Another one spit the hook and got off ....Then I caught  this smallish carp that fought like a big ski ...took off at a super fast speed , back & forth from shore to 50' out ...thought I had a grass carp ! It looked different than the other carp ...smaller mouth , very silvery and a long softer dorsal ...maybe a cross breed or something....

Then , for the first time in over 50 years I caught  a colourful one   , quite a scrapper for a chunky corn fed carp .....sure didn't expect to catch that thing !! After a few more cats another carp took the corn , just over 10 lbs. ...jumped like a big ol' bucket mouth ! 

I sent 3 pictures to Tyler ....hope he got them ok .  

Holy Smerch, that's a real collection of interesting fish there!!

It does look like a lamprey mark on the first one, eh?  How on earth did the lamprey get through those scales???

The second one looks like a torpedo!  Beautiful, scale perfect beauty there.

And a goldfish, of all things!!!  I have yet to catch one myself but will certainly remember the day I do.

Thanks for the kind replies guys ......the highlight of the day was the smaller carp . The steroids in the corn turned that thing into a rocket ! The hard head shakes and speed had me thinking it wasn't a carp as it hugged bottom during the battle . 

When I saw the bright ball of orange flopping at the surface I thought it was an "extra yellow" mud cat ...what a surprise to see one of those in there !

It sure looks like a lamprey wound Mike . I thought you might know someone who may have caught one similar .Those scales are tough .

The water is warming there since it's very shallow ....no luck in the deeper spots yet . 

And thanks again Tyler ....my camera size pictures are  2592 x 1944  , then I resized them at 1/3 to send to you .....still too large for me to post direct .

Sounds like a fun day smerch...some spots should be putting out some giants as the water warms up...they can give you a decent workout the way some fight

On 5/17/2019 at 11:15 PM, Dan Andrews said:

Do me a favour and get Henry out for a day. I'd love to get him hooked on carp fishing as we have a lot of good water here in Fort Erie

I'd be happy to help get him started Dan . It can get boring for a young guy when waiting for a carp to strike . I have a rod , reel and some carp hooks, etc. he can have to give it a try .  Henry can get acquainted with simple carp rigs, baits and techniques from the many You Tube vids . ...no need for the fancy stuff. We hope to be spending LOTS of time at the trailer park very soon . Come visit anytime .

Archived