Chumming in current

DNorton

Just curious how I would go about fishing the mighty niagara for carp with the current being so strong I’m afraid they won’t zero in on my bait? Any suggestions? I was thinking pack bait but will that not get taken with the current as well? Any insight is helpful thanks again! 

In strong currents a method  feeder with pack bait will slowly release the bait ...also check the utube for this as well .

The feeder weight will help stay put on the bottom ....but can easily hang up in rocks if it moves in the current.

I've never fished the mighty Niagara for carp so I can't help ya much DNorton.  The only nugget of info I can give is that there is only the tiniest current right on the bottom.  The friction of the river bottom slows the current down dramatically, so consider that in your strategy.  Tight lines!

Well ,  I went to Gibby , tried the oat/cream corn pack bait with a puff corn .....First time using the alarm this season . About 20 minutes later the alarm went off , line peeling off fast ...got a carp about 10 lbs.   Half hour later , alarm rang my chimes again ...another small carp about 6 lbs .  Wind was blowing into shore , water vis,about 12" , about 4 ' deep with weed beds scattered ....a little tricky to fish but they're in there .  The water is still cold & the carp didn't fight as expected .  It was great to try that old spot where I first fished with Lorne ( Hammercarp)  using his method in that spot !  

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well ,  I went to Gibby , tried the oat/cream corn pack bait with a puff corn .....First time using the alarm this season . About 20 minutes later the alarm went off , line peeling off fast ...got a carp about 10 lbs.   Half hour later , alarm rang my chimes again ...another small carp about 6 lbs .  Wind was blowing into shore , water vis,about 12" , about 4 ' deep with weed beds scattered ....a little tricky to fish but they're in there .  The water is still cold & the carp didn't fight as expected .  It was great to try that old spot where I first fished with Lorne ( Hammercarp)  using his method in that spot !  

Thanks for the report! I have actually had the pleasure of speaking with him prior to his passing about certain baits to try. Always nice to know his wisdom carries on. I hope to get out tomorrow after work with my new pack bait recipe I made up to give it a shot see if anything takes. 

21 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Lorne is still helping you catch carp, Smerch!  

19 hours ago, DNorton said:

Thanks for the report! I have actually had the pleasure of speaking with him prior to his passing about certain baits to try. Always nice to know his wisdom carries on. I hope to get out tomorrow after work with my new pack bait recipe I made up to give it a shot see if anything takes. 

While I was sitting there in my chair where Lorne sat beside me for our first meet up ,  the reality of him not with us anymore gets to you .....

When I hooked the first carp , I spoke the words " this is to you Lorne" .  

Yes ...I was the grasshopper & Lorne was the Master as he trounced me 5 to 1 that day !     .....and I was using HIS bait !   :)

Archived