Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
kgm

Turkey season

Recommended Posts

Hunting today started like any other outing. Early morning drive out to dunnville.  A long walk out to my blind, and a lot of sitting. Only saw 1 bird that had snuck in behind me and took off flying when I stepped out of the blind for a break. Then after a few hours out of no where there is a loud gobble in the bush very close. I reply with a very short Yelp, and within a minute 2 Tom's walk out of the bush at about 60 yards. They gobble and start heading across the field like my decoy isn't even there. I call to them and they stop, but slowly are making their way away from me. With some clucking and purring they finally stop and stare for a while, but again never getting closer. They are at about 80 yards now. Then they turn and head back to the woods they came out of. At this point I am desperate to keep their attention and have them come closer, so I start excitedly cutting and dont stop.  This brings them back in to about 60 yards, but then the first one hops into the thick bush.  I figure this is my last chance, so I take aim and fire at the second bird who is still in the field, and he dropped like a ton of bricks. I have been hunting for 3 years, and this is my first successful hunt. 10" beard, 1 3/8" spurs. Looking forward to having him for supper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome, good for you!! I've only been out three times so far with no luck. Hope to get out again soon.

That's a great first success story!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats kgm ! Sounds like a nice mature bird for your first one .now youll likely go a few seasons trying to match or beat the size .my first was a big one also and for 3 years in a row i shot jakes as the toms were all hend up and and wouldnt respond.since then ive only shot 2 more toms so currently have 6 birds for 10 years 3 toms really.congrats again !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats KGM .  You will enjoy Tom bird for supper !!  After 3 years of waiting ,  I would make it a big meal event with ALL the trimmings !  🦃  🍷  🥧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a great morning today started off with 2 toms opening up on the roost gave some soft yelps shook my hat hard to make it sound like a hen coming off the roost .i did some more soft yelps and they were on there way but they walked right past me not giving a shot they gobbled like crazy in the field right behind me then i heard the hens yelping with them so got as comfortable as i could and waited for the hens to leave the toms then thing got crazy as i could hear them sounding the alarm there better not be anyone coming across that field [trespasser ] then things got real crazy as all the turkeys exploded in to flight and had a tom land in the tree right in front of me as i pulled up on him i see movement to the left of me i watched to see what it was and there it was coyote staring at my decoy as the tom was still sounding the alarm i thought do i make the move yes do it so i pulled up on the tom took the shot down he fell and on top of that i i was able to take out the yote as well as he ran past me this will never happen again 

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIRD AS WELL KGM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kgm said:

Hunting today started like any other outing. Early morning drive out to dunnville.  A long walk out to my blind, and a lot of sitting. Only saw 1 bird that had snuck in behind me and took off flying when I stepped out of the blind for a break. Then after a few hours out of no where there is a loud gobble in the bush very close. I reply with a very short Yelp, and within a minute 2 Tom's walk out of the bush at about 60 yards. They gobble and start heading across the field like my decoy isn't even there. I call to them and they stop, but slowly are making their way away from me. With some clucking and purring they finally stop and stare for a while, but again never getting closer. They are at about 80 yards now. Then they turn and head back to the woods they came out of. At this point I am desperate to keep their attention and have them come closer, so I start excitedly cutting and dont stop.  This brings them back in to about 60 yards, but then the first one hops into the thick bush.  I figure this is my last chance, so I take aim and fire at the second bird who is still in the field, and he dropped like a ton of bricks. I have been hunting for 3 years, and this is my first successful hunt. 10" beard, 1 3/8" spurs. Looking forward to having him for supper!

I’d love to hunt, just too busy it’s hard enough to get time to fish.  Its gotta be such a rush when you see your target and it’s walking towards you.  Congrats on your first bird. 

Any pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Had a great morning today started off with 2 toms opening up on the roost gave some soft yelps shook my hat hard to make it sound like a hen coming off the roost .i did some more soft yelps and they were on there way but they walked right past me not giving a shot they gobbled like crazy in the field right behind me then i heard the hens yelping with them so got as comfortable as i could and waited for the hens to leave the toms then thing got crazy as i could hear them sounding the alarm there better not be anyone coming across that field [trespasser ] then things got real crazy as all the turkeys exploded in to flight and had a tom land in the tree right in front of me as i pulled up on him i see movement to the left of me i watched to see what it was and there it was coyote staring at my decoy as the tom was still sounding the alarm i thought do i make the move yes do it so i pulled up on the tom took the shot down he fell and on top of that i i was able to take out the yote as well as he ran past me this will never happen again 

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIRD AS WELL KGM

Great story gunner.  Glad you got the yote and the bird.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Had a great morning today started off with 2 toms opening up on the roost gave some soft yelps shook my hat hard to make it sound like a hen coming off the roost .i did some more soft yelps and they were on there way but they walked right past me not giving a shot they gobbled like crazy in the field right behind me then i heard the hens yelping with them so got as comfortable as i could and waited for the hens to leave the toms then thing got crazy as i could hear them sounding the alarm there better not be anyone coming across that field [trespasser ] then things got real crazy as all the turkeys exploded in to flight and had a tom land in the tree right in front of me as i pulled up on him i see movement to the left of me i watched to see what it was and there it was coyote staring at my decoy as the tom was still sounding the alarm i thought do i make the move yes do it so i pulled up on the tom took the shot down he fell and on top of that i i was able to take out the yote as well as he ran past me this will never happen again 

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIRD AS WELL KGM

Great story Gunner. Glad you got a bird and a coyote. sounds like an exciting hunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’d love to hunt, just too busy it’s hard enough to get time to fish.  Its gotta be such a rush when you see your target and it’s walking towards you.  Congrats on your first bird. 

Any pics?

I tried to upload some pics but says they are too large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Had a great morning today started off with 2 toms opening up on the roost gave some soft yelps shook my hat hard to make it sound like a hen coming off the roost .i did some more soft yelps and they were on there way but they walked right past me not giving a shot they gobbled like crazy in the field right behind me then i heard the hens yelping with them so got as comfortable as i could and waited for the hens to leave the toms then thing got crazy as i could hear them sounding the alarm there better not be anyone coming across that field [trespasser ] then things got real crazy as all the turkeys exploded in to flight and had a tom land in the tree right in front of me as i pulled up on him i see movement to the left of me i watched to see what it was and there it was coyote staring at my decoy as the tom was still sounding the alarm i thought do i make the move yes do it so i pulled up on the tom took the shot down he fell and on top of that i i was able to take out the yote as well as he ran past me this will never happen again 

CONGRATS ON YOUR BIRD AS WELL KGM

Wow that would have been wild for sure Gunner!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’d love to hunt, just too busy it’s hard enough to get time to fish.   


Its all that gardening and the girlfriend Tyler!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kgm said:

I tried to upload some pics but says they are too large

You can send them to me I’ll upload them through Imgury. Sk8_tyler@hotmail.com pm me for phone number if it’s easier to send that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

You can send them to me I’ll upload them through Imgury. Sk8_tyler@hotmail.com pm me for phone number if it’s easier to send that way.  

Emailed. Thanks Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Gunner !!   Funny how every trip has a story to tell . 

I hope the yotes aren't killing off many turkeys ....they are deadly predators .

Enjoy !  Glad to see you guys having successful  hunts !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a bad spring for me so far.

gun malfunction on first two opening days cost me birds,.

out several times since, and saw no gobblers.

Out this morning again, and saw gobbler + 5 hens, but not quite close enough for shot.

Saw 9 hens in total today, and none of them nesting yet!!

Really late this spring for nesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mooseslayer said:

Congrats to both!. I brined the breast from my turkey for 24 hours and then cooked it in the oven for about an hour and it came out pretty juicy. The legs and thighs are in freezer. I usually make soup from them.

I can taste it now  !!!   :wub:

Mmmmmmm  🦃..............We always make a delicious soup from chicken bones .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 9:35 AM, gunner-2 said:

i was able to take out the yote as well as he ran past me

Looks like the yotes are getting braver , no fear of humans .... This story from Apr.17 .....

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9288732-grimsby-couple-stalked-by-fearless-coyote/

And today , a report from Grimsby , a yote latched on to a woman's leg until some guys came and chased it off ....

I  wonder how many turkeys are killed ....seems like easy prey for the yotes .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...