Minnow Run

F4U

The minnows are running now off the customs dock. Saw 1 perch caught today. Shouldnt be much longer. I hope they will be bigger than what the stores are selling.

If you want big bait for pike for example....use a minnow trap with some bread in it...there is usually some nice sized chubs in the mix at the bottom there

I know where to get big minnows. I did conservation work in the niagar area and I know the spots even in winter.

5 hours ago, F4U said:

I know where to get big minnows. I did conservation work in the niagar area and I know the spots even in winter.

That's awesome...I spent a few years with the mnr and local conservation club...electro fishing...tagging...and raising fry then stocking..for the walleye restoration project in the welland river.....there's a few perks that come along with giving back to our resources for sure....like learning some great fishing spots....and sources of bait for sure

I worked with the Ministry about 40 years ago. We had a spawning box at De Q . Raised browns the first year and Rainbow for 2 years.Got so frustrated with the Ministry that we quit doing it. The fry went to either St Johns pond or to a private pond in Fonthill. Myjob was to squeeze and fertilize the eggs and keep tabs on them. The Biologist didnt like it when I told him to go back to school and get his money back. Raise Tropical fish for 15 years before the spawning box.

That's funny....going back about 15 years ago..I think they got a little better....left the fertilizing  ...rearing pond...stocking up to us...and trusted the knowledge of the old timers and a couple of us at the time..youngtimers back then in the stevensville....port colborne...and dunville..clubs to work together on it....mnr just tagged them....shocked the water.....we where behind in the catch boat netting them up...then moved like 1500 of them over the dam when the fish ladder was busted...kept a few for brood stock.....oh...and back to your regularly  scheduled program...lol...hope you got the bait you wanted...and got into a few 🎣

Archived