Penn lake

DNorton

Hey guys. I’m headed next weekend to Algonquin for a few days for a bachelor party thing. Outback camping and fishing. We will be staying on penn lake for 3 to 4 days. Any chance anyone has fished it and has any insight on what I will be catching or what Tackle to bring. Never fished the area so any tips are grreatly appreciated. 

It's been a long time but use to do well on lake trout, and specks on some of the back lakes. Mepps Black Fury used to be my #1 choice by far. Fly rod in the evening near shore with dry flies would work well too. Don't forget to bring a shotgun and bear spray to fight off the black flies too! (no kidding)

I remember (still) going to West Tree fishing a lake for splake  about 15 years ago. My 2 buds were using  small chubs with a float & catching a few . I hooked up a Mepps with a worm and was catching one nearly every cast ....They soon put on a spinner-worm combo and we had a blast .....some up to 16" . As S&T said ......:Gonefishing:

On 6/6/2019 at 9:26 PM, Surf and Turf said:

It's been a long time but use to do well on lake trout, and specks on some of the back lakes. Mepps Black Fury used to be my #1 choice by far. Fly rod in the evening near shore with dry flies would work well too. Don't forget to bring a shotgun and bear spray to fight off the black flies too! (no kidding)

No kidding about those little pests! I can remember a portage once this time of yr there, sat down to have a sandwich afterwards and the cloud of black flies in front of my face was almost so thick you couldn’t see through them! It was a absolutely horrible experience!!

Archived