Another solo night out

DNorton

Got out after dinner for a few hours using another new packbait blend. Had my first fish on within 10 minutes. After a brief fight bam line breaks. A little furious with myself thinking my knot let go I check the end of my line and the leader broke off the end of my pretied rig. On the upside I did get to keep my method feeder and the fish isn’t swimming around dragging a 3oz lead. 

Tied my rod back up and out again inside of 10 minutes another fish on. From what I saw decent size fish trying to net the fish I pulled the hook.

After that the bite seemed to slow down with the fish all in my swim took another probably hour before I get another hit. Hauled it in was a little 8lb feisty fish. Another 10 minutes and I hauled another 12lb fish. Neither of which had my previous hook in the mouth. 

With the second fish on the bank the mosquitos finally got me and I packed it in. Lesson learned never wear shorts while fishing. Any suggestions on what bug spray to use while fishing to not deter the fish from the smell?

Don’t mind the hockey laces tied to the net it’s how I weigh the fish the cheap and easy way  

85C89296-DF23-42EB-983B-0053ACB2D2C5.jpeg

397CF303-305F-47DC-9CF6-8152E4625F7E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

Way to go Norton.  Isn't it great when you're fishing with a new method mix and they fish crush it!  Really boast the confidence while you're sitting waiting.

It’s awesome I was fishing maybe 3 ft of water Abd you could just see them coming in got the blood pumping every time. Maybe that’s why the mosquitos went to town on me. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

oops...I missed this post ...looks like you had a good fish ! .....and nice of you to feed the skeeters !

My large "Lucky" Strike rubber carp net's handle pop's off easily & lets me weigh fish while in the bag (or half in the bag).The bag weighs 2 lbs .

I had a short go for carp here at the Bay....haven't seen a sign of carp all week  ...just bought some more can corn today .....will try a hair rig with diced bread ( have no oats)

So I get up today at 6:30 to water the dog....look out the window & see large ripples at the shore line (50' away)..I walked to the water at the docks & there was 2 nice clean 

carp ,side by side , one about 8 lbs , one about 6 lbs .  ...  spawning ?   Now I wonder if they will be on the feed at all  ! 

Enter,  carprenuers....should I pursue carp , or rig up my eye gear ?

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

oops...I missed this post ...looks like you had a good fish ! .....and nice of you to feed the skeeters !

My large "Lucky" Strike rubber carp net's handle pop's off easily & lets me weigh fish while in the bag (or half in the bag).The bag weighs 2 lbs .

I had a short go for carp here at the Bay....haven't seen a sign of carp all week  ...just bought some more can corn today .....will try a hair rig with diced bread ( have no oats)

So I get up today at 6:30 to water the dog....look out the window & see large ripples at the shore line (50' away)..I walked to the water at the docks & there was 2 nice clean 

carp ,side by side , one about 8 lbs , one about 6 lbs .  ...  spawning ?   Now I wonder if they will be on the feed at all  ! 

Enter,  carprenuers....should I pursue carp , or rig up my eye gear ?

No way I'm an expert in this Smerch but twice now I've experienced catchable fish during the spawn.  One time, they began spawning right in the swim I was fishing!  The water was churned into a froth and I had to move to another part of the harbour.  There was no sign of spawning going on there and I caught a fish to boot!

The other time was when I noticed fish cruising the margin.  I caught the biggest fish in the bunch and while I had her on the line, several smaller fish( males )swam right along next to her, as if she didn't have enough going on.  lol  Anyhoo, it became obvious the spawn was on but the bite continued. 

Thanks for that encouragement Mike ,  I was tossing a light float rig this morning ....got 6 perch & a big gill for today's dinner ...tossed many back...

I was using white strips from a perch belly for  bait.....then saw a nice carp cruising past me in 3'-4' of water ....tried to get the bait in front of it but it must have saw my puss & headed south .  

i will rig up some corn on the hair and give it go ....nice off shore breeze today , water clear and flat . Got some Wally corn yesterday ...should have brought the carp gear ....hoping my 10' rod with 10 lb mono will do the job ....just  want to catch one !

....then off to fish for eyes etc.  

Well....no bites with the can corn , but not much here to chum with , so I crushed some soda crackers in a zip bag with a bottle , added the corn , then some flour & water to make it lightly stick together so I could toss the "chum" about 50' by hand . I used a hair rig with p & c  corn .  After checking the bait I found the hook & egg sinker were covered with old dead leaves .....had to clear it each  time , lots of overhanging trees there ....need corn puffs to keep off bottom .. I'll try other spots....check the bottom with bare hook first to see if it has a cleaner bottom .

We had a nice perch/gill supper ....nothing fancy , just fried in sunflower oil, sweet potatoes & sliced tomatoes with poppy seed dressing .....Not bad at all  !    :)

Well , here it is a week later and still no c-a-r-p !    ....crap ! 

Tried dollar store corn , Delmonte , P.C. and they just sneer .....   :angry:

The bay has been rough ....and now it looks like snow ........white fluff falling from the trees .It get stuck on the line and plugs up the guides , and it's hard to pick off ...makes casting a chore !  The bay is loaded with it . (cant see the swans in it)  !!  Nice to see them , like right now in front of us......Always nice to watch for the wildlife when fishing.....Last night I taut I saw a beaver ........but a long time camper here said it was an otter and they have pups here as well .

Do otters eat carp ?   :unsure:   

Well .... my last can of corn was quite tasty ....had it with leftovers tonight ....carp don't know what their missing .....  :D

While at buckhorn last weekend...I saw a huge splash in the distance......we where hoping a musky grabbed too much to cramp in its mouth!......ran the boat over to check it out.......turned out to be carp singing brown chicken  brown cow ....😍😘😆🤣...water still in the low 70s there

On 6/27/2019 at 6:56 PM, smerchly said:

Do otters eat carp ?   :unsure:   

I’m gonna say yes Smerch. I know they do in England and they’re a huge problem. Their lakes are more like our ponds and you have to buy a ticket to fish for the day or be a member of the club that controls the lake. Kinda like golfing over here. Anyhoo, lakes are managed very carefully and when an otter makes the lake its home the  impact is devastating. Some clubs erect fences around the entire lake in an effort to keep otters out. 

Archived