Spodding

DNorton

Just curious if anyone uses spods or spombs around here and if they are useful. I have a med / heavy rod that I use when I’m fishing the surf in Florida that I think would make a great spod rod. I’ve done a little bit of research on it and i have a few areas where I think I could use it but before I go ahead and buy the rest of the gear would love to hear from some of the experts. Thanks in advance 

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Their good for if you want to bait an area far away. I’d use them if I had them. 

Saw a guy firing his spod bait a good 150' into Lake Ontario and he caught a ton of carp that day , one 26 lbs.

Make sure you have a large spool reel to handle those long casts into the lake ...the carp will head to T.O.  !!

.....if you have a large drone .......   ;) .......     

I've not used one yet, and I can't help feeling I've been missing out on some good carping opportunities because of it.   

Generally, I lay out ground bait close in with a catapult( sling shot ..lol ). If I'm fishing at a greater distance then I can get my chum out to with a sling shot, I fish using a method feeder.  When I'm using the method feeder, I tend not to let it sit too long without a bite, and will cast out a fresh ball more frequently and build up the swim that way. 

I took a 2 Kg bag of frozen maize and broke off small golf ball size pieces ....can fire them out 100 yds.....and they break up quickly .

On 6/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, DNorton said:

Cheers for all the replies guys. Guess I’m going to Petes tomorrow to pick up a spod and give it a shot. 

Did ya end up picking one up?  How is it?

i purchased one. Waiting for it to show up now. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Did ya end up picking one up?  How is it?

i purchased one. Waiting for it to show up now. 

No, I went to Peters and they didn’t have any. I did however buy some more rigs bait and a note alarm so it wasn’t a wasted trip ! 

Archived