Carpin yesterday

Tyler0420

Fished the harbour yesterday 11am-630pm and finally got rewarded.  Fished with two other guys. One guy was fishing 100m off shore and the other guy was fishing maybe 3m off shore, I was fishing about 30m out. The older fisherman caught 5-6 fish with 2-3 being 30lbs or close to. One I weighed was 24lbs for him.  He was the one fishing in close.  They other guy caught a bunch of smaller ones with one good one close to 30lbs.   I caught two around the 16-18lbs.  New pb for me 16lbs(still small) and didn’t weight the other one. It was a great day out. All helping each other land fish and I learnt some new tips.  Harbour was dead calm and the rain most of the day wasn’t too bad.  I was using moist pack bait in pva mesh or a bag. It can’t be too moist or it will dissolve  the pva too quick. .

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c58d1ceca5b64ce3imageproxy.php?img=&key=c58d1ceca5b64ce3imageproxy.php?img=&key=c58d1ceca5b64ce3

AF740441-8D74-4891-B0B5-461447BF2E63.jpeg

10CDFD5D-3D25-434C-969B-2792E600AC6D.png

B9D8AE3D-D3A7-4115-B265-71170180B609.jpeg

Looks like a great day out to me Tyler!  Congratulations on your PB and nice to see they're liking that bait mix of yours. 

I was out on Sunday fishing with my cousin Dan on the harbour.  I flung out a method feeder at distance while my cousin fished the margins.  Nothing to show for our efforts other than a few line bumps and a beeps on the bite alarm.  That's three blanks in a row for me( but who's counting ), so it's great to read your success story and see pics of what carp look like!  lol   

40 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Looks like a great day out to me Tyler!  Congratulations on your PB and nice to see they're liking that bait mix of yours. 

I was out on Sunday fishing with my cousin Dan on the harbour.  I flung out a method feeder at distance while my cousin fished the margins.  Nothing to show for our efforts other than a few line bumps and a beeps on the bite alarm.  That's three blanks in a row for me( but who's counting ), so it's great to read your success story and see pics of what carp look like!  lol   

3 blanks isn’t bad. I think that was outtin 5-6 for me. Keep at it.  I was getting a ton of line bumps and very short pulls. I think the gobies or small catts were out. I starting using a pop up boilie instead of corn on the hair. 

1 minute ago, Tyler0420 said:

3 blanks isn’t bad. I think that was outtin 5-6 for me. Keep at it.  I was getting a ton of line bumps and very short pulls. I think the gobies or small catts were out. I starting using a pop up boilie instead of corn on the hair. 

Nice adjustment Tyler.  

Something I learnt yesterday from a very experienced guy was hook presentation I sat my rig down in the water and noticed my pop up corn wasting boyent enough to suspend my hook 2-3”off bottom.  So I took the corn off and put a pop up boilie on. Put my rig back in the water and the whole rig lifted so a small split shot 3” up from the hook and it sat perfect. Something else I noticed was the hair has to be attached to the hook just as the hook starts to bend towards the point so the hook will sit upside down and not horizontal.  Upside down will hook the bottom lip every time.   

Congrats on your PBC  Tyler !  All those little tips add to our carp note book .   When I use the floating corn puffs I may add a small shot behind the hook and adjust it to get it an inch or three off bottom , if the bottom is clean .

When you used a moist pack bait would rolling it in salt help keep the pva bag intact longer ?  

Looks like a GREAT spot to get those 30#  +   carp !!  You could have a blast with your fly rod ....   :clapping:

I was casting my husky jerk from the dock this a.m., and what do I see 6' in front of me  ???  TWO carp in 4 fow that seemed to be chasing each other through 

the thick weeds !  I'm doing the perch thing from the boat now but carp can be had all over here in the bays . Fishing derby this weekend ....carp not included .

Gotta do that spot with you Tyler !!!   

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Congrats on your PBC  Tyler !  All those little tips add to our carp note book .   When I use the floating corn puffs I may add a small shot behind the hook and adjust it to get it an inch or three off bottom , if the bottom is clean .

When you used a moist pack bait would rolling it in salt help keep the pva bag intact longer ?  

Looks like a GREAT spot to get those 30#  +   carp !!  You could have a blast with your fly rod ....   :clapping:

I was casting my husky jerk from the dock this a.m., and what do I see 6' in front of me  ???  TWO carp in 4 fow that seemed to be chasing each other through 

the thick weeds !  I'm doing the perch thing from the boat now but carp can be had all over here in the bays . Fishing derby this weekend ....carp not included .

Gotta do that spot with you Tyler !!!   

My pack bait isn’t too moist. If I’m putting in pva I’ll let it dry out a little bit.   I have heard salt helps with the pva rot but I haven’t tried it.  I have lots of time off now smerch so let me know when your back intown for a fish. 

Thanks for the tips Tyler! And congrats on your pb! I fished all long weekend for carp with only 1 little 12lber to show for it. Always nice to see I’m not the only one having a rough go every once in awhile! 

Archived