Hello

Mbocco

I’m new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.   I’ve lived in north niagara my whole life and have just rediscovered local fishing after many years.  Until recently I’ve only fished saltwater in Florida.   Although I don’t mind using live bait, my passion is working artificial baits.  Looking forward to rediscovering some fishing spots.  Been unlucky so far with my artificials but I’m not giving up. I will catch me some bass this week!

Sounds like a plan!  Thanks.   Hopefully I can get out this week.  A couple weeks back I had something significant hit my paddle tail swimbait on a jig head in the whirlpool.  I was too slow with the hook set however.  Might try 16 mile creek near the QEW where all the carp fisherman go next.  Hopefully there are some largemouth bass are hiding in there.  Does Queenston produce this time of the year now that the steelies are all gone?

Welcome to the board...we are lucky to have such a great fishery year long here in Niagara 

You never know what's in the whirlpool....one cast you can get a smallie....next a musky....huge cats.....the odd skamania still in there......as for queenston....smallies...walleye...muskies as well but weeds make it tough from shore...

When I was a teenager we would bike up seaway haulage rd behind GM, cross the shallow part of the old canal near the dam, and fish the old lock #18.  We would catch 20 carp a day in there.   I created a dough ball with cornmeal, and various other additives as bait.   The good ole days.  Now I long for the topwater bite.   

The north side of the city has some good fishing at the Port Weller piers .  Lots of spots with rocky shore lines or mud bottoms for bass or carp ....and we got big drums there too ...good variety of fish there ..Top water rigs should produce some fish for you ....

That’s somewhere I’ve never tried.  I actually didn’t even realize you could access those areas.  Thanks for that tip. 

A couple mornings ago I hooked another 12ish lb drum on a crank bait.  A surprisingly excellent fight!  

7 hours ago, Mbocco said:

A surprisingly excellent fight!  

That's why they call them sheepshead ....alias "sheephead /. They are like a Ram when you disturb them !  Pound per pound , they out do the walleye , and will hit most baits. Some find the smaller ones quite tasty  .   

There's a walking trail on the east pier at Port Weller adjacent to the marina road . It goes all the way to the end of the pier and circles back . ...lots of little spaces off the trail to toss a line .....tons of gobies in those rocky spots ....

Archived