Quick report from today

Jwl1

Have definitely not been able to get in the fishing I want since work season started up.....had some time today to try a couple spots.....first spot was a go at some smallies....tried out a place I haven't been for a long time I knew would not be busy.....only have weekends to get out...so I try my best to avoid the "weekend warrior "...places....that turned into a skunk...so went with plan b to do some smaller water fishing......turned my crappy day into a crappie day...Haha....ended up with a few nice slabs......a sheepshead....couple small largies....then the Rockies and sunfish started to take over as it warmed.....great way to spend a summer day morning away from the crowds...

20190707_093618.jpg

20190707_094123.jpg

20190707_094543.jpg

20190707_104753.jpg

Was nice to see the crappie where I expected them to be.......I know..I know... love the steelie fishing because I'm off all winter to do it.... but I'm wise in the ways of beating a crowd on a hot summer weekend day...lol...ps...next time bring minnows to that spot...Haha....keeps the sunnies off for a while....it also one of those spots that you never know what you may get....one cast you can catch a snapping turtle.....next cast a nice pike...haha

Nice crappie meal there Jack .  Looks like a good spot for carp too .

I'll have to settle for some perch and eye today for dinner .....getting hard to get decent perch here ....billions of small dinks that ravage your worms in an instant !  I ended up using some dink belly skin to catch some nicer ones . Got a nice white bass (perch)....funny , most guys here call them silver bass ....

There are crappies here , but no one targets them...also big gills 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Nice crappie meal there Jack .  Looks like a good spot for carp too .

I'll have to settle for some perch and eye today for dinner .....getting hard to get decent perch here ....billions of small dinks that ravage your worms in an instant !  I ended up using some dink belly skin to catch some nicer ones . Got a nice white bass (perch)....funny , most guys here call them silver bass ....

There are crappies here , but no one targets them...also big gills 

Mmmm crappie and gills are good eating too! Making me hungry now! 

1 hour ago, DNorton said:

Mmmm crappie and gills are good eating too! Making me hungry now! 

We have eaten pickerel , perch, white bass & gills here ...not much difference ....may be the sunflower oil we used .  Next shopping trip we will get some  coconut oil ($$$)....good old lard tastes the best but not so good for the ticker (they say). My wife says toss the eyes , keep the perch !   :huh:

she likes perch because she can catch them.....:Gonefishing:

Heading up to Jack Lake (Apsley) on Saturday for a week. We were there last year as well and it wasn't until the second last day that I kept some bluegill. I had never eaten them before and may target them this year. They were plentiful and awesome!!!

The big gills have plenty of meat (fish) , are easy to fillet , no bones , and taste great .  Many years ago we fried up some gills for the kids near Orillia .I scaled them , dusted them with flour and fried them in butter .  We used a fork to slide the meat from the bones .....not a speck of meat left !  So good !

Good luck Scott .....I'm missing the carp fishing back home ,  hope to meet up with them come October . It's too nice here to leave ......:Gonefishing: 

What a tease...I just spent the afternoon working at that exact spot from my report.....sucked looking at the water....fish stirring and not be able to fish ..haha

Archived