Redemption( Well, sort of ).

Mike Pike

A few days ago, I got up before sunrise to visit a small carp venue and see if I could avenge my 3 straight blanks.

Pond1.jpg

Everything looked nice and carpy with some bubbling going on, so I got my bait together and fired it out hoping for the best. 

I opted to scale down my presentation for the smaller fish in this locale and packed a mesh PVA bag full of a commercial stick n bag mix, krill pellets and corn.

Bait.jpg

Sitting back and waiting( hoping )for a run, it was nice to observe the early morning wildlife activity, including this fly-over!  I heard that some Asian cultures believe that a heron is a signal of good luck so I considered it a good sign.

Heron.jpg

Staying light and mobile, I never had my carp pod and electronics with me so I had to concetrate on watching my line.  Finally, my rod tip started to bounce slightly and it wasn't long before I got the long awaited run.  After a few tense moments, this silvery little beauty graced my mat.  Although she couldn't have been more than 6lbs, it was my first fish in 3 outings so I was happy to have had her!

6llb carp.jpg

Shortly after re-baiting and re-casting, my rod tip began to dance again.  Then, I observed my line moving sloooowly to the left and stop.  While I wondered whether to set the hook or not, I saw, rising to the surface like a submarine, a huge snapping turtle in the same area that my line had moved to.  As the turtle moved on, I brought in my line to see that the hair was neatly stripped of its' two corn kernels. 

I was done in by the turtle.

After re-baiting and re-casting again, the rod began it's little dance once more, and again, my line began slowly moving.  This time, I set the hook emmidiately and I began a very slow and prolonged battle with, yup, the snapping turtle!

Fortunately, it released my bait and everything flew back at me, with the corn neatly stripped from the hair again like it had never been there. 

Time to move.

Rod n bank stick.jpg

Even though the visability was only 8-inces at best, I could see some carp cruising about at this new location but nothing even came close to 'taking the bait.'  As the morning drew to a close, I had to be happy with my one fish( and snapping turtle )on this fine summer day.

Pond2.jpg

Nice story Mike and thanks for the photos .....  I'm am gathering that the carp in the Niagara area are not very hungry , or have found some alternate source of filling their bellies . That "girl"....how do you tell  ??  ....well I can see a little lip stick remaining .....   ^_^

I've caught a few snappers in my time , usually take a worm or minnow and I have cut the hook in half with pliers to release them .And they have cleaned a few fish from my stringer on occasion !  They can demolish a string of perch in minutes !   

I hope that carp is the charm that gets you in the groove again Mike ....good luck !   :Gonefishing:

I’m going to have to agree with Smerch. I’ve been out 6 times now since the last carp I caught. A little frustrating non the less but still nice to get out. Looks like a great spot mike ! Congrats on the fish on the mat! Doing better then some of us! Really enjoyed the story too thanks for the read. 

Sometimes I  wonder if my corn is disappearing into a silty bottom or algae coated bottom . If I am picking up algae on my bait , I'll try the puffed corn that can sit 6" from bottom .  ......or you can go "Waggler"  B)

2 minutes ago, Mike Pike said:

Ya, I'm always concerned about silt too, Smerch.  Sometimes I'll use a lighter lead weight, longer hooklink and add a bouyant fake corn kernel to my hookbait.  

I've used the "rubber" corn as well Mike , it doesn't seem as buoyant as the puff corn , unless 2 pieces are used . I have tested some of my set ups at home in the laundry tub to check how they sit in a foot of water . Cheap pea size styrofoam beads do a good job as well but are not very strong . I push a pin through them to string then on the line ....you can buy 1000 for a buck  :D

Ya, one kernel won't 'pop-up' the bait, but I hope it will at least help to keep it on top of the silt.  I like your testing method, Smerch.  You know exactly what you have when you arrive at your swim, and it beats mucking about on the bank.  

Archived