Carp rods

DNorton

So I came home today to find my mad dragon rod in half. My kids thought it would be fun to play with the tip end of it as a wand. That being said it’s my own fault for throwing my carp rod in house and leaving it there rather then putting it away. 

So my question now becomes. What’s my next rod to buy? I found my 13ft rod sometimes was a little big for the areas I was fishing. Possibly thinking of downgrading the length to a 10ft ? If they make them. I do still have my other carp rod and my spod rod so I’m not in dire to get another rod but just curious what recommendations any of you have to buy. Not looking to break the bank but I don’t want a cheap one either. That rod put a lot of fish on the bank so I’m excited to fish a new rod. 

Thanks in advance   

Yikes!  Sad news Norton.

I have a 9-ft Greys "Stalker" that I like when fishing in those bushy, tighter swims( It's the one pictured in my last post ).  Sensative with good backbone.  I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to email Simon right from his site and see what he recommends?  He's responded to my inquiries before and he would have some good carp specific suggestions. 

Just picked up a stream side carp series rod from Petes today. Was checking carp kit but couldn’t be bothered to wait days for a new rod. Maybe the next one. I was going to buy the same mad dragon I had before but figured I’d try this one and see how it holds up. Pretty excited. Only downside is it’s 12ft 2.75lb curve. Was hoping for something smaller but that’s all they had and I wasn’t being picky at this point spent to many nights sitting at home debating what to buy. 

I got my 12 MadD. from Pete's also . I haven't compared it to the other weights but it has been a great rod for the price . My other spare rod is my old salmon custom made  8'  (Donald's Custom) and it tags along for some of those tree laden spots ....it has a nice bend to it for those feisty carp . I will probably move up a notch some day soon and treat myself to a better rod and larger capacity reel for that 40 lb.carp .......

You are back in the loop ....bet you can't wait to break it in !   

53 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I got my 12 MadD. from Pete's also . I haven't compared it to the other weights but it has been a great rod for the price . My other spare rod is my old salmon custom made  8'  (Donald's Custom) and it tags along for some of those tree laden spots ....it has a nice bend to it for those feisty carp . I will probably move up a notch some day soon and treat myself to a better rod and larger capacity reel for that 40 lb.carp .......

You are back in the loop ....bet you can't wait to break it in !   

You got that right Smerch! Not looking good for tonight. Possibly tomorrow night. Thinking maybe trying the Welland river, just not sure where to begin any suggestions of streets / or parking lots I could go from there if anyone’s willing to help ! 

3 hours ago, DNorton said:

Just picked up a stream side carp series rod from Petes today. Was checking carp kit but couldn’t be bothered to wait days for a new rod. Maybe the next one. I was going to buy the same mad dragon I had before but figured I’d try this one and see how it holds up. Pretty excited. Only downside is it’s 12ft 2.75lb curve. Was hoping for something smaller but that’s all they had and I wasn’t being picky at this point spent to many nights sitting at home debating what to buy. 

Looking forward to your reviews on the rod as I would like something similar to what you bought. I’ve only fished the welland river once and I think it was by a rowing club maybe....

Archived