Pontoon Boats ?

smerchly

Anyone here have one ?  anyone fished from one ? There are 4 pontoon boats docked here ....from 40 hp to 60 hp . some are used for fishing , & have been bringing in the eyes . I was amazed at how fast they can go , how stable they are in the choppy water , and of course the comfort . Some have complete covers for bad weather and many other amenities including fishing equipment .  So I checked some out on google for prices , etc & found they are not that expensive . I'm not in the market for one but I might look further into it for next year . I'm not doing much eye fishing  since they are in deeper water and the best fishing is down the Reach a few miles and I'm not into trolling foe hours ....would rather drift or anchor and catch perch , etc ....which we consider better eating .... Check this one out for price comparison with an 18' boat with a 4 stk.75 hp .  This one would really fly on the water. ...hope to get a few comments.... if anyone is listening ?   :santa:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/ottawa/2013-voyager-pontoon-w-75-merc-4-strk-and-trailer/1452669771?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I seen a 30 ft pontoon with a 250 Yamaha on it.. guy said it does 35 mph... says he trolls with it he pitches with it he jigs with it.. he says nothing compares.. says he can run multiple rods spaced out with out clustering them together and he said you can walk all around not stuck sitting or only being able to move a few feet and he says he can go as shallow as a bass boat.. plus the bimini and plastic sides would be ideal in non ideal weather.. cold or rain... it's actually quite something to consider I'm thinking... of course not 30 ft long tho  

I just bot one Smertch,2003 18’ Lowe,40 4 stroke Yamaha,so far love it,it’s in great shape(except for stiff shifter)I must have not paid attention to that on water test,my fault,I’ll attempt to repair myself without getting too deep into it,it does about 20 mph WOT but no more,but didn’t buy it for speed tho,came with fish finder and radio,I found prices were all over the map and ones that sounded good always ended with,,no trailer😁

Hey Bill just returned from a fishing trip on lake Nipissing this week and had a chance to fish from a pontoon for the first time. The comfort was great, of course stable, and we even had a cover for the sun and later the rain. What I didn’t like about it....the gas mileage was horrible on the 21ft with 115 hp. It was stable but when the wind picked up the waves crashed over the front. I think as a cottage stationary boat not towed  it is a great option provided it’s not under powered. You get a few extra people in the boat and the extra hp is really required in a pontoon imo. I don’t really know enough about the actual pontoon design or shape but I know this is probably the most important when it comes to performance. 

I also found Bill,around our area,Niagara,not much used around,,,,up north and Kinston to Quebec has more,,,i do like that one in your link tho,mine is not quite that nice,but also not that much $ either,took me a while to find one but had a max budget that I stayed under,wanted so much to go to Ottawa and/or Gatineau area to look but just couldn't justify the drive and go ,,nope not the one,,,good luck in your search

Just a couple more things Bill,from my experience in looking,a lot of underpowered ones out there,I mean 20 ft with 9.9 or 25 on them,a lot had rips tears or sun damage,some were touched up with a paint and looked horrible,some  had 2 stroke,oil injected(I’m not a big fan)like I said before no trailer was common to see,a lot of variables to weigh in on,mine came with fairly new Bimini top(couple patches due to lures)brand new mooring cover,trailer,all seats were redone not long ago and carpet in great condition and the 40 4 stroke,no dents or damage to the toons,couple small dents in the side but it is a 2003,lady kept it in good shape,I found a lot of newer ones had sun damage already and still asking a good buck,take your time like I did and you should be fine,,,,oh and always pay a little more attention to the shifter 😁

Thanks for the replies guys .....

WC.....that sure is a biggy !   An 18' is plenty big enough with a 40  four stroke  efi ,  or up to a 60 hp.

Steve ....Nip can get a little rough , think I would want a larger one there . Gas mileage may depend on a few factors such as engine size, running full blast  ,and type of bow ....some I have seen have a torpedo bow design & others have a "canoe" set of toons which seem to cut through the water better .

Shadow .....looks like you have done your homework before taking the plunge . I haven't noticed if there are toons on the River where they could avoid the rough waters of Erie . Here at Quinte they are common since it has many nice bays like this one ( Mohawk Bay) . I see the toons daily going east to Napanee , west to Belleville or south to Picton  . The Biminy tops don't do much for rain or shade unless they come down the sides more . Most of them here  are exposed to sun & rain and towel dried before use . One has a nice cover which takes some time to snap on ,but well worth the protection it gives to the seats and console  .  Checking on line ,  Kingston has a lot of marinas and boats for sale . If  I were to buy a tooner , it would be a short run to pick it up or have it delivered here since it would be kept here all year . Where will you be using your new pontoon boat ? 

I have s slip at the boat club in Chippawa Bill,we putt around the Niagara River,Welland River both sides of the border,I think you will find much better selection Kingston area ,I always keep the cover on,seen too many with sun damage,not hard to put on,I found $15000 -$20000 gets you a really nice pontoon,$12000-$15000 still gets you a nice one but little older,$12000 and under I found needed some type of not so minor work,usually interior,I got mine $4000 less then asking price but have to deal with the stiff shifter Bill,take care

Thanks again .....I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride .  I would look for one more suitable for fishing ...less seats , big box for gear ( pfd's) , live well , cooler, and maybe a mini toilet in the corner lol for the girlies to hide their wares .  I  would need to sell my boat after buying a tooner  which would allow more time to check out the toons ...

....forgot to mention ,  my shifter for the 50 merc 4 stk. is a p.o.s.....I removed a large plastic plate that served as a washer,that made shifting to reverse impossible , so the whole shifter is not tightened to the boat . When in forward there's a long dead spot before it starts to starts to speed up ....after that , it's tight but runs fine .....maybe fixable ,  maybe need a whole new assembly ....thought it was a Merc thing but apparently other shifters are the same .

Does a pontoon boat hold up well in niagara river then? How would it be in bigger waters like Ontario / Erie not as practical ? I’m still hunting for my boat and can’t bring myself to pull the trigger yet because I don’t want buyers remorse. Maybe something to consider I guess 

" Buyer's Remorse"   that's the million dollar question .....  Buying any type of used vehicle can cause this illness .I have had it a few times and there's no cure except either tossing more  $$$ at it or  sending it away to the scrap yard ....or dumping it on another remorser ! 

It may pay to have a trusted mechanic check it out or in the case of water crafts ....have it checked at a reputable marina ...I would pay to have it checked out to cut the odds of having a nervous breakdown ....

I have never seen a pontoon boat on the River , but they are more popular now.....only the shadow knows.......:)

Mine handles fine in the Niagara River,stable,they are more designed for calmer waters tho,went through some rougher waters on Sun,wasn’t that bad,if you want something that can hold a few people with space to move around,pontoons might be the one,depending on HP some of them move pretty fast,all depends what you want,I can fish off mine,I’m at a point now I enjoy just puttering around on the water,

I would think pontoons are more for smaller lakes or body of water that doesn't get to rough.

Big waves and swells in my thought would cause some twist in the frame being so large of a footprint.

Some may be built better than the other of that concern.

I was fishing a tournament on the St. Lawrence river in Gananoque last year and heard the roaring of a boat coming down river at us. As it came closer(at a very high rate of speed) i noticed it was a pontoon boat, as it flew by I needed to see what was on the back of it.  Twin Mercury Racing 400's!!!.... true story. 

I only fished one time from a tooner but I found it was not a maneuverable so I don’t think it is an ideal river boat for drifting or, bottom bouncing. I thInk it would shine with an anchor out front and one at the back. Rough water and waves you are better off with a vhull design. Only you can decide if it works for your intended purpose. 

19 hours ago, Captain Hooksets said:

I was fishing a tournament on the St. Lawrence river in Gananoque last year and heard the roaring of a boat coming down river at us. As it came closer(at a very high rate of speed) i noticed it was a pontoon boat, as it flew by I needed to see what was on the back of it.  Twin Mercury Racing 400's!!!.... true story. 

That's unreal !!   At that speed I wouldn't want to hit a large unseen wake left by a big cruiser !  I think the toons would end up as your biminy top !

....hey...and welcome to NFN Capt Hook.  B)

12 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I only fished one time from a tooner but I found it was not a maneuverable so I don’t think it is an ideal river boat for drifting or, bottom bouncing. I thInk it would shine with an anchor out front and one at the back. Rough water and waves you are better off with a vhull design. Only you can decide if it works for your intended purpose. 

One pontoon boat here has an extended hull (floor) which had a large electric trolling motor ...big bracket , looked like it was made for toon boats (rafts)        They were trolling with it and bringing in some nice eyes .  If the wind came up ...3 choices ...drift ....toss the anchor(s)...call it a day .

I have never set foot on one , just curiously observing them on the lake as they troll along or take the kids for a ride while pulling them in a rubber raft all over the bay... at a good clip .  Yes , not for big lakes , Quinte is good , but I have seen it get rough in spots like the cement plant near Sherman's Point . Strong sw winds can rock the dock here as well .....The Rec.would be the cats meow !   🐱

4 hours ago, smerchly said:

That's unreal !!   At that speed I wouldn't want to hit a large unseen wake left by a big cruiser !  I think the toons would end up as your biminy top !

....hey...and welcome to NFN Capt Hook.  B)

Thanks Smerchly. I didn't even notice that was my first post ever- I had thought I sent an introductory. Anyhow, glad to be aboard! 

1 hour ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Thanks Smerchly. I didn't even notice that was my first post ever- I had thought I sent an introductory. Anyhow, glad to be aboard! 

I noticed it was a first post capt.  and I have fished at Ivy Lee a bunch of decades ago .  We were after the big pike using alewives under a big float for pike . I caught an 8 lb. channel cat !   Beautiful body of water !  Are you a Niagara resident (fisherman) ?

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I noticed it was a first post capt.  and I have fished at Ivy Lee a bunch of decades ago .  We were after the big pike using alewives under a big float for pike . I caught an 8 lb. channel cat !   Beautiful body of water !  Are you a Niagara resident (fisherman) ?

Smerch, has to be one of my favourite areas- from Quinte, to Kingston, 1000 islands etc, you just can't beat it. Great area, and world class fishing for many species. You could say I'm a Niagara area fisherman. I'm from Stoney Creek but I frequent the Niagara area- mostly Lake Erie to be honest though as I am an avid bass fisherman.

we were fishing out of crystal beach last evening , and the wind was blowing pretty good . we were in a 20ft lund and taking a few over the bow, and low and behold along comes a pontoon boat trolling along  as stable as can be. At first we were like what the **** are they crazy but as they passed we all changed are tune . they looked high and dry and enjoying themselves.

Wonder how big the pontoon was ?  Maybe they can fill the pontoons half full of water for more stability ?  lol

The 18 footers seem to take the chop better than many 16' boats here at the bay ......may find more videos of their water performance ....

Archived