Boat Shift Lever

smerchly

Any mechanics here  ?  When I shift the lever into gear it goes into idle and all is well ...2005  Merc . 50 HP 4 stroke EFI ....runs like a charm !  When I want to get some speed I have to move the lever down about 3 inches , then it will take off like a rocket ! I have to "ease" the lever very slowly to gain speed at a regular rate . A friend said the cable might be stretched . There is a large 2 ft. loop of cable at the motor from the get go . He noted that a stretched cable could snap anytime ......Fixable , or do I need to replace the whole cable/ shifter assembly  ?  I can't run the boat now until it is fixed ......and I was told I could easily be looking at $600 or more to fix it .  (maybe install a handle on the motor instead and run a tiller )     

Cables go.  I've changed a cable on an 09 50hp as it was stiff.  Check your cable connection at the shifter and throttle control that it's not loose.  Or get a buddy to watch it while you shift in the driveway.  New cable is a couple hundred bucks and done in an hour or so depending if you have access to the cable vs fishing for it through the gunnel

13 hours ago, NINO said:

Cables go.  I've changed a cable on an 09 50hp as it was stiff.  Check your cable connection at the shifter and throttle control that it's not loose.  Or get a buddy to watch it while you shift in the driveway.  New cable is a couple hundred bucks and done in an hour or so depending if you have access to the cable vs fishing for it through the gunnel

Thanks NINO  .  

I will immerse the prop into a barrel and get my great neighbours to help with the diagnosis .

The 50 Merc was installed  by Claude & John at the Beacon Marina , but sadly they have closed up shop .

My boat is only 15.5 ' and I think the cable was for a 16' which has a larger loop at the transom .

There's a 2" square  x 5' access for new cables that may have to be "fished" through ,although it's pretty tight .

I'll be checking it out soon ,after I power wash the dried slime from Quinte .

The cable should be secured, so that only the inside of the cable is moving, both at the motor and at the shifter. Usually they have an adjuster to take out any slack in the sheath over the cable. The actual outer shell of the cable could be moving and you don't want that. So check it at the motor, and the shifter to see only the inner cable moves. IF the outer liner of the cable is not moving then yes...could be stretched, doubt that's the problem though. You don't need to run it to check the movement of the cable from forward to neutral to reverse.

I just had my cables done Smerch,one was stretched,other one seized,what a difference now,3 inches of movement is way too much,i did disconnect cables off at motor first and engine components work fine,thot about doing cables myself but wanted it done professionally,there is some adjustment needed on the new ones,good luck

Thanks guys ....lots of good info to hopefully get me going again .

If I need more than I can handle ,  I'll be asking the shadow where to take it for a professional repair ..... B)

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

You shouldn't need to run the engine. You should be able to shift the gears with no engine running. I do it often to get the handle out my way when fishing.

Chris ,  when I ran the engine last  it stayed in idle for about 3 inches  forward , then I had to ease it firmly but slowly or it would accelerate too quickly . So if I immerse it or use the muffs I can hear the rpms as I give it more gas . I'll work on it first without running the engine to see if I can find something amiss first. I'll be sure to refer back to this post after I do some snooping with some help from others.  Other than the shifter , that engine runs like a charm .

So it may not be the shift but the throttle that is the problem? If it's like mine there are actually two cables that activate from the lever.  How does the idle lever react? With the cowling off you should be able to see the throttle advancing or shift cable moving.

• 2 months later...

She be fixed !   I took it to Joe  Colautti Marine last week  . ...quite a large operation he has there !  I got the boat back today and the problem was at the back ....too much slack and play in the cable and he took much of the large loop out of the cables and adjusted the cables at the motor . ...good to go !  Joe is a nice friendly fellow and I was lucky to get me sailing again for 100 bucks.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions guys !

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

great deal, glad it was an easy fix for them.

I took the "RIGHT" way to get there today ....Lyons Creek Rd. off the QEW . only a half hour drive from home .

I went to the dentist Tuesday for a small filling ......20 minutes later , get the bill for $215 . 😂

Yep ,  the boat was a cheap fix !!

Archived