Bit of advice please...

Limey

Righto chaps, I've got 5 mates flying over from gods little acre on the 14th for a week. 

We're booked into katawoda cottages up nobel on georgian bay,  20 minutes past parry sound,  was wondering if any of you lads had stayed there or nearby?

If so how did you get on? Any pointers?

We have canoes rented to try and troll the deeper waters during the day....how do we get our lures down low?

Or is it best to just use the deepest diving lures we can buy?

Also what's best for night time eyes from shore ( don't like mixing alcohol and water vessels), glow in the dark spoons?

We're going to the bait shop for local knowledge but any help beforehand would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,  Limey.

P.S don't want to be forking out too much money on dipsy divers or whatever only to use them once, plus I don't even know how they work lol.

Maybe try a 3-way with spoons/body baits etc... Fish mouths of rivers and some salmon/bows should be around. As for walleye, no clue where they would be. 

Glow in the dark spoons for salmon but not sure about the walleye maybe float minnows off a pier/dock or something like that.  Good luck up there. 

I checked it out on google , looks like a nice place .  The pictures show a good variety of fish ....walleye , pike , bass , lake trout , dog fish , turtles .....

The canoes have motors for trolling ?  Do they sell live baits such as minnows and worms ? It looks like the lake has both shallow and deep water fishing .

If no live bait available ,  trolling with bottom bouncers & worm for eyes , casting body baits (J-13) for pike ...or spoons . Drifting with 3 way rigs with worms or tubes or twisters .

In many cases I watch what others are using for the fish targeted .  Some places have maps of the lake showing where the shallow /deep spots are located .

Fishing for eyes from shore , day or night may depend on the weed situation .....  Good luck Limey , I hope you and your buddies from Gods little acre have a great time .

have a gander ......

https://www.katawoda.net/for-rent

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

I checked it out on google , looks like a nice place .  The pictures show a good variety of fish ....walleye , pike , bass , lake trout , dog fish , turtles .....

The canoes have motors for trolling ?  Do they sell live baits such as minnows and worms ? It looks like the lake has both shallow and deep water fishing .

If no live bait available ,  trolling with bottom bouncers & worm for eyes , casting body baits (J-13) for pike ...or spoons . Drifting with 3 way rigs with worms or tubes or twisters .

In many cases I watch what others are using for the fish targeted .  Some places have maps of the lake showing where the shallow /deep spots are located .

Fishing for eyes from shore , day or night may depend on the weed situation .....  Good luck Limey , I hope you and your buddies from Gods little acre have a great time .

have a gander ......

https://www.katawoda.net/for-rent

No trolling motors on the canoes as far as I'm aware Bill, but fingers crossed. 

Minnows are 8.99 for a dozen,  I'll be taking my umbrella net also. 

We're staying in cottage #1 right on the shore,  at the mouth of shebeshebakong river. 

Thanks for all the pointers lads, very much appreciated. 

17 hours ago, WalleyeChaser said:

No jigging supplies? Not even a slab grabber ? 

That's the only jigging gear I've got mate, never had much luck as I'm never sure how to retrieve them?

20190908_090104.jpg

21 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Those rebel poppers are my favourite way to bass fish. 

I've got 10lb mono and 15lb leader,  if I'm going for example pike,  I can't use a wire leader with those poppers can I?

What would you recommend to use so I don't get bitten off?

2 hours ago, Limey said:

I've got 10lb mono and 15lb leader,  if I'm going for example pike,  I can't use a wire leader with those poppers can I?

What would you recommend to use so I don't get bitten off?

Maybe 20-30lb mono leader.  Using wire,braid,fluorocarbon will all pull the popper under water. Mono helps keep it floating since it floats.  I don’t worry about getting bite off pike fishing. I use 6lb line icefishing and catch them. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

Maybe 20-30lb mono leader.  Using wire,braid,fluorocarbon will all pull the popper under water. Mono helps keep it floating since it floats.  I don’t worry about getting bite off pike fishing. I use 6lb line icefishing and catch them. 

Ah I didn't realize flouro would sink like that,  lucky you told me as I was looking at different flouro online earlier,  saved me a few dollars there, cheers mate. 

In my opinion I wouldn’t even suggest a topwater lure right now especially where you are going (northern country).  It’s getting colder up there by the day, water temp is dropping and the chances of top water action are coming to an end.  Is there a chance you catch something on a topwater? Sure, but you’ll have better luck doing other things. Since your in a canoe I would;

1. Drift a minnow or worm on a jig head or on a worm harness - closer to the bottom the better. You’ll catch anything doing this.

2. Troll some spinners like you have listed above or minnow body baits. Again, you’ll catch most species doing this. 

3. Jig vertically with a mister twister( white, black or chartreuse). This may be harder since you’re in a canoe unless you are anchored.

4. From shore,  I would cast jig heads tipped with worms, minnows or mister twisters or cast spoons or minnow baits.

5. Tie a live bait rig. Bait holder hook, couple sinkers a foot and a half above that and tie a worm or preferably a live minnow on there and let it soak :) . You can do this from shore or drift from behind your canoe.

I know the general area you are staying. I usually travel a bit further north and fish in the fall and have a blast. Enjoy and be safe!

Cap’n

Archived