Carping today

smerchly

Hit the water about 10 this morning . ...chummed with some maize & a little can corn too . Loaded up the hair with can corn ,  20 minutes later a 7-8 lb. carp landed . Then I tried the maize on the hair ....5 minutes later another one took off , a little better at close to 10 lbs . I switched back & forth with the corn & it didn't make much difference , except it takes longer to load the maize onto the hair rig . Lost another one in the weeds about 30 minutes later . Two elderly couples walked by & one guy asked how the fishing was ....then said "that's a pretty big rod your using " I recognized him but wasn't quite sure with him wearing sun glasses and Tilly type hat ...turned out to be my doctor (Ken Taylor) who retired his practice about 5 years ago . ...and he proceeded to show me the BIG kings he caught in the lake on his phone. He lives at Martindale pond & has a dock there .

I tried another spot for a half hour but didn't chum it .....need to spend more time there to give it a proper test ....

Cooked up more maize today...soaked it in warm water for 27 hrs....then on the burner for an hour ....still soaking in the hot water until it cools

And also for your reading enjoyment .....a carp got me good today ! Those  damn dorsal -anal fins have those sharp saw like bones that get caught up in the net sometimes , a real bugger to get the mesh over those sharp spines . Every decent carper has got stung by them !  while using the pliers to get the rubber net from the anal fin the carp thrashed and drove the sharp bone under my thumb nail ..... If you want to play you got to pay !  One for the carp ! 

Good job on the fish smerch. I fished local yesterday after work for a few hours and landed one and lost one. I’ll be tying some new hair rigs today with some new hooks. 

I was sitting in my truck up on the bank and seen two pods of fish about 70m out so I reeled and casted between the two pods and fired out some boilies. 5min later I landed one.  

Going back out tonight for a short shift 4-8. Hopefully there’s a lunker hanging around. 

I spent about 4.5 hours carping at Gibby yesterday and only one for one and a sickly looking one as well . I did better in the spring in a shallow back bay out of the currents reach.....which makes me wonder if "they" have used some sort of chemical like they use for lamprey eels to kill the grass carp . (maybe over did it a tad) ??...

Think I'll pass on Gibby for the rest of the season & see what happens next spring ........picked a couple dozen worms last night after butchering my grass with a low setting on the mower to make them more visible / pickable  ....looking for an eye/perch/pike dinner.....

....and another thing ....lots of small fishing packages left at the first spot ....name on the packs says "west end live bait" , located in T.O.  Why do these pigs think it's "cool" to leave their junk here ?  .....  I'll try to be nice......

I did a quick search to find info on the methods used to "control" invasive species such as lamprey eels and using chemicals to kill their nervous system ,etc., and found a very interesting read , with pictures , about invasive carp . There are several pages to click on to for tons of info about techniques being used and also future methods considered  such as  "rotenone"  which is used in rat poison I believe .....  I'm not a fan of using poison in our waters ....  :Gonefishing:

https://asiancarp.ca/SURVEILLANCE-PREVENTION-AND-RESPONSE/Prevention-Techniques

Good article about rotenone Mbocco ...thanks !   If they used this stuff to kill grass carp , surely it would affect all carp in the system .

It attacks the nervous system and has been linked (questioned) to human Parkinsons disease . ( two of my closest fishing buddies have it)

The question I have is how do they determine the right amount of this poison to not overkill other species   ??

The last paragraph said ......

"http://Although, as a reaction to the studies linking rotenone to effects on humans, rotenone use has been banned in many marine systems and has come into question in freshwater systems as well."

....not a fan of poisoning our waters .... 

Fished for 2 hours after work. Chucked out some spods of oats,crushed boilies and cream corn. Used the same for packbait and after a couple mins in the water landed a small carp. That was it for the rest of the outting. 

Had to mess with the pic to brighten it up. 

1AD9030E-0B97-4051-81EA-FF54DD1490DD.jpeg

Yep , it's me again  Margaret ....I have CCD  (compulsive carp disorder)    :tease:

Nice going Tyler ....always nice to beat the zero for zero , like me .....

I need some more carp food ,  going to the nut house tomorrow ( Bulk Barn) to pick up a few things on sale ($5 coupon) & 20% off some of my favorite nuts . Raw oats are on for 90 cents /lb. (different grades) so I'll get 5 lbs of it for my oat/cream corn pack bait . 

I'm going to try Port Dal. tomorrow ...east side somewhere ,depending on how much elbow room is available ....might cross over to Rennie & toss a few baits there also .Anyone out that way I'll have my brown Astro .....carp rod will be tossed in as well !  :)

5 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

its nice with photo apps now how you can save a picture no matter how bad the lighting or shadow is.  

All I can do with "edit" with desktop pictures is resize and crop using "paint" I can add text ,etc, but not change the lighting .

High winds at Port Dal. today  ....   My first spot to try was overtaken by salmon anglers tossing spoons so I tried the west pier near the lighthouse . Then a huge barge appeared , floating down the middle scooping up the bottom and sending black silt over my line , then returned 20 minutes later going up stream . Needless to say the fish weren't happy ....but I did manage to feed Gertrude & Heathcliff a few gobies .

So I headed to Rennie ...grabbed a coffee & fat doughnut & headed south ...but the wind was stronger than ever !! So I picked a spot near the finish line building & hooked up a corn puff after chumming with some frozen left over can corn which goes soft after freezing . I  check puff corn every 15 minutes when I know there are gobies & perch there.....checked it out & it was gone ...stolen ! So I changed to a hair rig with the soft corn ....15 minutes later a hard hit , line peeling out ! When I grabbed the rod "somehow" the line was hooked near shore under a branch or a rock !  I pulled a few feet of line and the "fish" pulled right back , but I couldn't dislodge it from the shore thing about 6' away ! So I put the pressure on with my carp rod near the breaking point & finally it gave way & the carp took off & came to the surface ....netted it , real nice and fat ,about 8-9 lbs !  I checked the 20# mono line out & cut off about 10' of rough line . Had one more hit but no run .  I will return ......... 

I left my camera in my tackle bag so no carp picture....but I got a few shots near the lighthouse ....The noise is LOUD there & the bottom digging machines don't help......:Gonefishing:

Port Barge.jpg

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

What are they digging for? Did they ever finish the pier they closed off?

Just a guess ,  maybe clearing out pieces of broken cement , etc.

They have a long way to go just to finish the west pier ,then start on the east side  (2021)

11 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

That’s gotta mess with the fish runs.  Has anyone been catching salmon that you’ve heard of?

I watched a guy land a salmon at the dam . The boots are runnin !  

Archived