Painting

smerchly

I have spent several days power washing the house , decks ,awnings , etc.  The last few days were paint days ( house trim , 3 gables , ) Yesterday I did the steel awnings ....the brown 5" wide strips have faded . It was a chore reaching them with various ladders , using brush and 4" rollers . ...looked real good ! 

Then ....it rained last night ...hard rain ...washed much of the water based paint off the awnings !  Arrrrrrgggggghhhh !!! Back to the brush tomorrow to redo much of it again !  The old legs take a beating going up and ladders for hours . Checked Google to see if they have drones that paint .......:nea:

....interfering on my fishing time .....   :Gonefishing:

That sucks about the paint washin off smerch ! I do siding and aluminum work and windows and doors and believe me i know how you feel about the legs .im only 40 and have been in this trade for 21 years now and i already know il be pretty crippled up when im your age smerch.hope the paint sticks better this time ....be careful on those ladders!

Thanks fishing king ...I think I have a little ape in me .... At 76 , I still do some tree work & roof repair . Climbing ladders is much more work and hard on the legs than stairways . I had to take some boxes and bricks up a ladder to cover  4 vents & a skylight at the trailer for the winter,  after cleaning up some moss ....many trips up a ladder . I noticed my legs are shorter these days .....

BTW fishking ,  I had new windows & doors etc. done about 20 years ago . One window wasn't done but should have been replaced . Most companies do not want to do a single window  (about 3' x 4') . Maybe you know someone who does small jobs on the side ?  New trim also . ....only a 3 step ladder deal  !   :D

2 hours ago, fishingking said:

That sucks about the paint washin off smerch ! I do siding and aluminum work and windows and doors and believe me i know how you feel about the legs .im only 40 and have been in this trade for 21 years now and i already know il be pretty crippled up when im your age smerch.hope the paint sticks better this time ....be careful on those ladders!

Weird,  I was a painter and decorator for 21 years lol, haven't done that since 2011 though. 

You can buy oil based exterior paint though??? That's crazy to me, not even type of epoxy based?

I think most of the exterior house paints are water based now . I got mine at Home Hardware and they put several colours in the mix to create the chocolate brown I desired . Easy cleanup with water ....no turps to clean brushes , probably more "environment friendly" as well .

If the rain held off for another couple hours I would have been safe . The paint dries quickly but the heavy rain wiped out the last 2 hours of painting .

The last paint job with the same water base lasted a good 20 years ....I was taking a chance and lost ....:wacko:

Painted the barn shed yesterday ...all went well  ! Washed back 8 x10 tin shed today , free rinse with the rain  , ready to paint when ???

Archived