Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tyler0420

Fall time carpin

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Fall time is looking better already. 

I hope so Tyler .....  got to get out tomorrow (somewhere) for a carp run . My van is going to the shop Tuesday to fix the lift hatch ....hopefully won't have to wait for parts too long ....Looks like we may have some rain this week  so better take advantage of the good days.....love these kool temps.!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#me too  !  Looking for shrooms this morning ,,,took the carp rod and decided to see if ol' Gib would cough up a carp or two .  After 3 solid hrs. and changing from oat/cream corn & corn puff to the old reliable maize on the hair .....an absolute zero and not a sniff ....

But, there was a few small carp rolling in front of me right over my bait ???  😰  They must have recognized the terrible smerch !   😮 They ain't hungry Tyler ! another day on Gibby and another white stripe !  Better days ahead as the monsoons arrive this week ....hope that rain gets them in the mood  for :wub:

 

....and furthermore......

    I found this smell bait container made in the USA . Has anyone used this product ??   

 

And the last time I fished this spot , it was spotless . ( fished with Hammercarp here) The  dumb squad has invaded ....

 

 

Bait Cloud.jpg

gib trash.jpg

Edited by smerchly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of this topic ....I had visions of trying to catch a Gib grass carp this fall .....but I'm not sure if any are about now .  I may take a day & give it a whirl in the area where the mnr was spotted  doing the electro shocking .....never caught one but never targeted them , but it would be "electrifying" to catch one of those 30lb + monsters .

For those who never saw these photos , here's a link from NFN's past ......

 

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/topic/33903-govt-boat-in-gibson-the-past-two-days/?tab=comments#comment-271781

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 8:57 PM, smerchly said:

#me too  !  Looking for shrooms this morning ,,,took the carp rod and decided to see if ol' Gib would cough up a carp or two .  After 3 solid hrs. and changing from oat/cream corn & corn puff to the old reliable maize on the hair .....an absolute zero and not a sniff ....

But, there was a few small carp rolling in front of me right over my bait ???  😰  They must have recognized the terrible smerch !   😮 They ain't hungry Tyler ! another day on Gibby and another white stripe !  Better days ahead as the monsoons arrive this week ....hope that rain gets them in the mood  for :wub:

 

....and furthermore......

    I found this smell bait container made in the USA . Has anyone used this product ??   

 

And the last time I fished this spot , it was spotless . ( fished with Hammercarp here) The  dumb squad has invaded ....

 

 

Bait Cloud.jpg

gib trash.jpg

There’s a YouTube video of the fish leaving when the bait cloud was put in the water. Don’t waste your money on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Speaking of this topic ....I had visions of trying to catch a Gib grass carp this fall .....but I'm not sure if any are about now .  I may take a day & give it a whirl in the area where the mnr was spotted  doing the electro shocking .....never caught one but never targeted them , but it would be "electrifying" to catch one of those 30lb + monsters .

For those who never saw these photos , here's a link from NFN's past ......

 

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/topic/33903-govt-boat-in-gibson-the-past-two-days/?tab=comments#comment-271781

 

 

If you catch yourself a grasser , mount it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

If you catch yourself a grasser , mount it. 

That's what I would do Tyler .  It would be a challenge to mount .

It was stated that they eat 3 times their weight every day ? That's a lot of weed (algae) matter ....similar to cows eating grass .

So , may be big hunk of cooked spinach with a few trebles inside dangling from a float with a small chop on the water .......   :Gonefishing:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today ...another day to remember with a lol  .   I took 2 rods & 2 tackle bags , one for eyes & whatever , and one for carp . when I got to Port D.the harbour was murky after the rains & only got a rock bass & a few gobie bites for the first 2 hours .(grrrr) ....no zoo , only one ape ....me !

 So I grabbed a coffee & the carp back pack & headed to Rennie pond ...had a small amount of maize to chum a "good spot" & hooked up some on a hair rig . Two hours later , no rolls ,jumps , or takers . Wind was picking up so I tried another spot where I had previous success .....

  After another hour of nothingness except a little line bump I decided that it was time to call it a day & put my stuff back in the backpack , reached for my rod ....and off it went !! I had to laugh while fighting the fish as this happened not too long ago !  

  After releasing the carp I was grinning ear to ear !  Funny how things happen when you least expect it ...:o  This carp , near 10 lbs had a "bug eye" ....showed my wife the picture , & she said "your eye would bug out too if you were pulled around with a hook in your lip "  haha .

   Nice cool day to be on the water with fishing rod in hand .....   :Gonefishing:

 

 

Dalhousie carp.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smerch I was out at port for a minute today. Wow things have changed. I think this winter will be two years since I’ve been there.  Lots fenced off now. No rocks to fish from anymore.  Didn’t see your van around. I ended up fishing by Henley island off of a dock. Baited the swim for a while and casted out, should of checked how weedy it was before I started to chum.  Thick weeds and I left after an hour or two.  It was nice to listen to the music festival going on.  End up going back home and fishing the canal for 3 hours. Last Hf hour two small fish. 

58F93D4A-94A1-4FDF-8347-794CBD090326.jpeg

4557AE1D-74DC-424D-A814-1C1D01023D74.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the opposite bank from the Henley Is.club house , also listening to the music  .  I was parked at the old seniors building which is close to the grandstands , then fished beside the tall finish line building .  Check out Google maps Tyler , you can see the weed beds in that bay where we launch canoes & yaks . There's deeper water at the  bridge , should be some carp in there .

  You had some action as well before the end of the day .   :Gonefishing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seen a weed patch on the surface so I thought it might of been a weed line. I chummed infront of it which was just more weeds under the water. Now I know. I was checking out the bridge area but didn’t seem like anywhere to set up. Hopefully I’ll get out tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trouble with carp fishing is when you chum a spot , get all set up and nothing is happening  after changing baits I'll seek out another spot  to fish. I didn't chum the second spot much , but managed  to entice one carp to my maize . Looking to get out more for the BIG one during the nice cool weather .    🐠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up this morning in a mood  .....:wacko:.....so I went to Moody ....part of the Gibby system . I fished there for carp and "anything"when I was a kid..even got some trout and my first mirror .

 

So I thawed some maize & cream corn & headed out to Moody . When I got there ...could not find the maize , left it on the basement floor ,!!   :wall:  AGAIN  !   ...but I had some puffs , oats & cream corn .

 

I had a few bites , not sure what fish was taking a few puffs , had one hard smack but was left with a limp line . Nothing much going on....chummed some more & tossed the remaining spoonful in the lake to see if bait fish were there .....As I watched the tip of my pole a CARP swam under my rod & was checking out the corn I tossed 3' from shore !!!!  :o

 

A few minutes later a carp jumped 6' away from my bait !! Then ....finally the line peeled off from the reel & I enjoyed a tough scrap from a lively plump carp , only about 7 lbs .

 

Beauty spot to enjoy the waterfowl and open bank for easy casting .....As Arnie says ....I vill be back !  

 

... this pic is not clear , can make it much better on my Picasa pictures but loses it when transferred to desktop . Carp checking out my oats & corn under my nose !

 

 

 

 

SAM_0584.jpg

Edited by smerchly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smerch when are we going to start hammering these carp? Would be nice to get a couple an outting atleast sometime lol. 

The other night I was salmon fishing and a nice carp ran up the rapids infront of me.  Maybe we should be targeting them at creek mouths.  Their following the salmon munching eggs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the carp are much smaller this year ....didn't break the 20 lb. mark .  The structure has changed in many spots because the water is higher than normal . Where I fished yesterday is usually thick with weeds but lots of open spots with some weed beds , looks perfect for carp . They are there but are not aggressive ....maybe a new menu will entice them .  Some of the fatties I have caught look like they have found lots to eat . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Seems like the carp are much smaller this year ....didn't break the 20 lb. mark .  The structure has changed in many spots because the water is higher than normal . Where I fished yesterday is usually thick with weeds but lots of open spots with some weed beds , looks perfect for carp . They are there but are not aggressive ....maybe a new menu will entice them .  Some of the fatties I have caught look like they have found lots to eat . 

Still lots of time to break that 20lb mark. I seen plenty of 20&30’s this spring. Once the weeds die out of this spot they should be back to the area and hopefully munching my bait this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mbocco said:


Really?  They do that?  

That's caviar to them boc !   I'm sure they would go for skein or put some salmon eggs in cheese cloth and make "roe bags"

 

5 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Still lots of time to break that 20lb mark. I seen plenty of 20&30’s this spring. Once the weeds die out of this spot they should be back to the area and hopefully munching my bait this time. 

I'm sure they will turn on soon Tyler . The temps are dropping off this week ,close to freezing at night in some areas .  Keep the long johns handy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a nice carp spot , what's the depth there Tyler ?

 

I did the worm thing today at Port Dal. ...started tossing a worm harness in the harbour , brackish water , verrrry windy , got a small smallie and a gobie ...lots of gobie  bites robbing the worms . Then I headed to Rennie , tried worms , looking for perch .....again gobies everywhere , even out 100' in 11 fow. ,  and one sunfish !

 

Tried a carp spot there with worms ....instant gobies , they are thick this year . The bass & perch will be feeding on them for sure .... no use using can corn there , must use the maize or the gobies will  rob you blind . 

 

Waiting to try  Jordan next with the right wind , for both carp & perch ....either or is welcome to try my treats ......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...