Fall time carpin

Tyler0420

Fished for 3hours after work 4:30-7:30pm. No fish after 2 hours so I chummed a spot close to shore because I seen some bubbles. Waited 20minutes and decided I was going to finish my session in close. Pick up my rod ”what the heck a snag” give it two yanks and see a few fish scurry off and “fish on”  my alarm didn’t beep and my line was still tight as when I left it, maybe he ate it as I picked my rod up. The carp love pineapple corn here. 

84B1BC1E-03EA-41BA-81B3-17A74E0FAC73.jpeg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet rig Ty...... looks like a bolt rig which I haven't used in a long time ....good way to fish from Lake O. shore.

When I use any baits that float , like corn puffs ,  I use short leads with the egg sinker . It helps detect those "pesky"  bites from other fish like gobies or dink perch etc .

Some  guys add a small shot to the lead , then check how close to bottom the bait is before casting .... My weight was catching some slimy green algae from the bottom

so I was careful to not move my bait after it hit bottom ......gotta get one of those diving drones to check out the bottom .  📽️

The weight is fixed in place. It’s actually attached to the same quick change swivel as the hair rig. Just a quick and simple rig. I wanna go back to the inline weight though I just don’t have any right now. 

When  using a 1.5 oz  egg weight or more , I have simply added a split shot  at the weight to keep it from sliding . ...presto , a bolt rig !   :Gonefishing:

1 minute ago, Mbocco said:

I’m not a carper but wouldn’t you want the line to be able to slide so there’s no resistance when the fish eats?

It’s the weight of the sinker that hooks the fish. No bass fishing hook sets on carp. Pick up your rod and reel in mostly.  Even if I’m using a inline weight I’ll put a small sinker up the line abit so the line stops and the hook will puncture. 

56 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I’m not a carper but wouldn’t you want the line to be able to slide so there’s no resistance when the fish eats?

Actually Mbocco there are many methods for catching carp.  Many anglers float fish for carp which only requires a small split shot sinker.
No hard fast rule when it comes to catching carp. Smerch and I were fishing Jordan a few years back and the carp were a plenty.
We were just using corn and a sliding sinker on the line. We were catching 7-8 fish each, for a few days of that run.  Most of the fish
we caught were by hooking the carp when we saw the rod tips moving slightly.  We did not wait for the carp to take the hook, we hooked them
and it was a blast.

11 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

Aww.  Learn a new thing every day.  

Hey Boc .....using a bolt rig can be a lot of fun !  It could also be used for channel cats or drum ....all bottom feeders .

When they pick up the bait and start swimming off , the lead weight allows the hook to penetrate the fish 's mouth ....they feel it and "bolt" . You get no notice  , haha,   so watch your rod , have the drag set low or use the carp reels with the "runner drag" at the back . With a bolt rig you can leave lots of slack line or prop the rod high ....you will know when the race is on ! 

I want to get out there asap , but I'm redoing the front deck with plywood & carpeting .  Hoping to take my boat in Tues .for new cables, etc. Better get out Monday !!  :Gonefishing:

3 minutes ago, knightfisher said:
Actually Mbocco there are many methods for catching carp.  Many anglers float fish for carp which only requires a small split shot sinker.
No hard fast rule when it comes to catching carp. Smerch and I were fishing Jordan a few years back and the carp were a plenty.
We were just using corn and a sliding sinker on the line. We were catching 7-8 fish each, for a few days of that run.  Most of the fish
we caught were by hooking the carp when we saw the rod tips moving slightly.  We did not wait for the carp to take the hook, we hooked them
and it was a blast.

That was the best carp fishing I  had in my time Dan !  And we got plenty over 20 lbs .!  One carp hit my corn the instant it hit bottom . Looking forward for another day like that ! 

Totally agree Bill. It was just fantastic fishing.  Don't know if we'll every experience anything like that again. Right place at the right time.
As well, the hook ups were within minutes or so of setting up.  Within a few hours we both had close to ten fish a piece. Totally amazing.
Glad we got Daniel and Joe-carper extraordinaire into the run as well.  Funny thing with Joe was, he was excited to hear about this great run,
and his first two fish were channel cats:roflblack: But he, like the rest of us got into some great fishing, and as you said many over 20lbs.  The scale
I was using was only up to 25lbs and bottomed out. I'm sure we caught some close to 30+lbs.

Same spot I got my 30 lb.+ carp Dan .  Maybe someone chummed the spot heavily before we got into them . 

Or the carp were having some kind of love in ......   💋

Monday Monday .....so good to me ....    🎶 ....( wishing )

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’ll be at Lasalle today. Last night a 27lb was caught and a 32lb,25lb and some 10-12lbs caught in the last few days.  

Good luck Tyler , I'll be waiting to see your 30 lb. photo ! 

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Good luck Tyler , I'll be waiting to see your 30 lb. photo ! 

Less time to fish now. Driving to fishing and get called about two side jobs. I’ll squeeze in 4-5 hours this afternoon/evening. 

Looks like a nice corn fed carp .  Are you using some of your Halloween treats for them  ? 

I "was" looking forward  to do some carping tomorrow morning .....but I ran out of carpet glue & C.T. doesn't have it ! Will go to my local (was Kala's )  Garden City Home Hardware in the a.m to get more adhesive .....hopefully , I will get to fish in the afternoon .

On 10/20/2019 at 10:05 PM, smerchly said:

Looks like a nice corn fed carp .  Are you using some of your Halloween treats for them  ? 

I "was" looking forward  to do some carping tomorrow morning .....but I ran out of carpet glue & C.T. doesn't have it ! Will go to my local (was Kala's )  Garden City Home Hardware in the a.m to get more adhesive .....hopefully , I will get to fish in the afternoon .

Chummed out some feed corn and was using packbait (oats,canned corn,crushed boilies). Caught two cats also. 

What # test mono are you using ?   Are there rocks -zebra mussels on bottom ?  I use reg. 20# mono for carp & had some fraying happen when the line got caught under some rocks but still managed to land the carp then cut about 12' off .   Same happened when using braid and the line snapped .

The mono cuts down on line capacity but I don't think I'll be spooled where I fish . 

It’s 12lb mono on both rods. On my spod rod the line never goes under the water so muscles shouldn’t be a problem.  Then the leadcore rigs were lost due to snags. With braid worst case you pull it out and straighten the hook. Or break the hair rig. 

Not sure if I wanna use 20lb mono. Casting 20lb usually isn’t the greatest especially at long distance and takes up a lot of room on the spool.  I have an extra spool  so maybe I’ll try some heavier mono on it. 

My main line of choice is usually 15lbs mono, Tyler.  With it laying on the lakebed most of the time, I usually run my fingers along the first 10 or 20 feet checking for abrasions often.  Fishing off rock jetties in the harbour, often my line is laying over rocks and, with the wave action, it can get damaged really easily over a short period of time.     

3 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

My main line of choice is usually 15lbs mono, Tyler.  With it laying on the lakebed most of the time, I usually run my fingers along the first 10 or 20 feet checking for abrasions often.  Fishing off rock jetties in the harbour, often my line is laying over rocks and, with the wave action, it can get damaged really easily over a short period of time.     

I’ll definitely spool up a reel with 15lb mono. The only reason I like the mono at all is for casting pack bait.  The stretch in the line seems to help with casting. Then I’ll put braid on the other spool.  

Archived