Fall time carpin

Tyler0420

On 12/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, smerchly said:

You can... through the ice Tyler  .

Two rods from shore would be nice to try different baits and depths ....it would be my luck ,after waiting for 4 hours , that a pod of carp came to visit and hit both rods together !  :o  Chaos !   Better to have a "helper" in that case .

Been watching several vids on You Tube today ...some about cats & chicken liver in mesh bags/socks , and I found this one interesting (if you can catch the words.....fishing for carp using shrimp in cold water AND using 2 rods AND sure enough at 2:55 both rods went off .....He just ignored the other rod LOL  , but entertaining to watch . All the cat /carp vids were using large circle hooks .  Got me peeked to get that bag of shrimp out !   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQyv4ItUdLM

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I'm temped to fish the old way ....drop shot style ...sinker on bottom ...4 hooks with 4 different baits above the sinker . ...like having 4 rods  ....and legal    :read:

Two jobs sucks yes ,but one is for fishing tackle , right Tyler ?  

Different for me too Tyler..no winter layoff this year..so that cuts into the time..and hope weekend isn't a zoo...lucked out with a couple unexpected days off last 2 weeks..hence the steelie pic...lol..at least I got one...haha..and only put in about 3 hours total in 3 outings

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Sometimes I'm temped to fish the old way ....drop shot style ...sinker on bottom ...4 hooks with 4 different baits above the sinker . ...like having 4 rods  ....and legal    :read:

Two jobs sucks yes ,but one is for fishing tackle , right Tyler ?  

Waiting for a package now smerch :)

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Different for me too Tyler..no winter layoff this year..so that cuts into the time..and hope weekend isn't a zoo...lucked out with a couple unexpected days off last 2 weeks..hence the steelie pic...lol..at least I got one...haha..and only put in about 3 hours total in 3 outings

No winter layoff? That sucks. Weekend warrior for us. 

43 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

No winter layoff? That sucks. Weekend warrior for us. 

Funny , being retired 26 years,  I avoid fishing weekends except Port Dal when the big noisy machines are quiet  , but I do have many shore spots of "solitude" ...a bonus for most carp anglers .  I'll visit my local tackle shop tomorrow since my doc appointment is close by ....pick up some weights and circle hooks ....hoping they might have minnows too .  I might ask :santa: for a new bait runner with a larger capacity spool for those 40#ders .....

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

Funny , being retired 26 years,  I avoid fishing weekends except Port Dal when the big noisy machines are quiet  , but I do have many shore spots of "solitude" ...a bonus for most carp anglers .  I'll visit my local tackle shop tomorrow since my doc appointment is close by ....pick up some weights and circle hooks ....hoping they might have minnows too .  I might ask :santa: for a new bait runner with a larger capacity spool for those 40#ders .....

The 40# we’re dreaming of. Dreams will come true if we keep at it.  

Well ....I ran into Santa today . He was shopping for toys at Peter's Tackle Shop . I told him I have been a good boy ...even held a door open for a little old lady today !   So he reached under the counter and gave me a new Okuma bait runner reel ( ABF-55b) & filled it up with 150 yds.of braid & mono backing . It has a larger capacity spool for those 40 pounders !  For my stocking ....a pound of  egg sinkers (2 oz) and a pkg.of large circle hooks .  I hope to do a test run with the new gear  asap , weather permitting .

And I  did bring home some fish today .... 18 perch minnows and 12 pike minnows ... lots of them in 2 large tanks .

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

The 40# we’re dreaming of. Dreams will come true if we keep at it.    :santa:

Carp Reel.jpg

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Well ....I ran into Santa today . He was shopping for toys at Peter's Tackle Shop . I told him I have been a good boy ...even held a door open for a little old lady today !   So he reached under the counter and gave me a new Okuma bait runner reel ( ABF-55b) & filled it up with 150 yds.of braid & mono backing . It has a larger capacity spool for those 40 pounders !  For my stocking ....a pound of  egg sinkers (2 oz) and a pkg.of large circle hooks .  I hope to do a test run with the new gear  asap , weather permitting .

And I  did bring home some fish today .... 18 perch minnows and 12 pike minnows ... lots of them in 2 large tanks .

Carp Reel.jpg

i hope that reel can hold back a 40lber smerch. we'll have to fish lake O in search of some monsters next season.

I mounted the new reel on the 12' Maddragon  and noticed right away this heavier reel balances better because the 12' rod is top heavy . For $80 the drag is very smooth and it cranks nicely as well . Tomor-roe looks like a fine day to take her for a ride ....fairly strong south winds and milder ... may go to a spot with both carp, cats & pike in mind .  ...it's  🔛

Fished today 11:30-4:00 with no luck. A duck swam into my line and set the alarm off for a bit thought I had a decent run but nope.  It’s was pretty nice out and I haven’t fished for a couple hours for a while now so it was nice to get out. 

9E6E8083-A2D8-4434-800F-F8DE96F88CC7.jpeg

Nice day today Tyler  , too bad about the false alarm .... I had to scare off a few ducks that were going to cross my float line at Rennie pond  a few times .

Getting my trout rod ready for a few casts tomorrow for  a change . Haven't got any roe , maybe try corn ?  B)  Got some flies & pink worms .....

.....Well , port had no current and it was mud .....didn't take the rods out of the van ....could have tried for cats !. I talked to the owners of that big sail boat at the east wall....nice elderly couple .  It was made in England in 1996 & they sailed across the Atlantic and had a problem getting past a bridge in the St.Lawrence ,so they added weights to one side of the mast cables to make it lean enough to clear the bridge .They said a lot of work is needed to be done to the ship . 

Archived