A wet Wednesday

Mbocco

Knowing the forecast,  I wasn’t to be discouraged today.  Couldn’t use the yak (that may have been crazy) so I headed off to the mighty Niagara.   On my way there I was wondering.. glen or pool?   Didn’t actually decide until I got to the pool parking lot which was busy.  Figuring that was a good sign I began my descent.  

Naturally it started raining like crazy on the trail but oh well.  Had a nice strike within 30min on a large spoon.  No hookup.  Others around me were fishless also.   Most were drifting but a couple were tossing spoons. 

I decided to change it it up and threw on a crankbait.  On the first cast my rod was fully bent.  Never in my life have I felt a pull like that before.  It peeled off a ridiculous amount of line.  All I could do was let it run.  Once it slowed I was able to get some line back.  We played tug of war for 5 minutes and then sadly he rubbed me off on one of the many rocks down there.  My knots all held...just a damn rock cut my 20lb braid. 

Admittedly a creative string of cuss words followed.  It would have been the largest (or strongest) fish of my life, which includes saltwater fishing.  

...another fish story, but as they say “the tug is the drug”. 

I did see 3 salmon caught whilst there. 

Now I need a beer.  🍺 

5 hours ago, Mbocco said:

My knots all held...just a damn rock cut my 20lb braid. 

It would be nice to a least see what kind of fish it was ....been there done that  !  In my latest experiences I found my braid shredded more easily than the mono that I use for carp . Some braids seem to be softer than others , so maybe I need a better braid that stands up to abrasive rocks . In some places 50# line may be needed to muscle those fish with a bad attitude .  Reels will hold more line with braid so there's an advantage there .  My last encounter with a carp pulling my mono line under (between) rocks gave me a little more confidence in mono after landing the fish without a break off .

All the way home I was asking myself if mono would have held up better. 

I don’t think it would have been a toothy fish.  My leader was 15lb fluoro which wouldn’t have held up to pike or Muskie teeth. 

It was heavier than a bass or bow.   A carp or catfish wouldn’t have hit that lure.  Figuring it was either a king or a laker.  Plenty of salmon surfacing so I’m sure that’s what it was.  

Oh.... maybe a sturgeon?   The fish story keeps getting better. 

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Knowing the forecast,  I wasn’t to be discouraged today.  Couldn’t use the yak (that may have been crazy) so I headed off to the mighty Niagara.   On my way there I was wondering.. glen or pool?   Didn’t actually decide until I got to the pool parking lot which was busy.  Figuring that was a good sign I began my descent.  

Naturally it started raining like crazy on the trail but oh well.  Had a nice strike within 30min on a large spoon.  No hookup.  Others around me were fishless also.   Most were drifting but a couple were tossing spoons. 

I decided to change it it up and threw on a crankbait.  On the first cast my rod was fully bent.  Never in my life have I felt a pull like that before.  It peeled off a ridiculous amount of line.  All I could do was let it run.  Once it slowed I was able to get some line back.  We played tug of war for 5 minutes and then sadly he rubbed me off on one of the many rocks down there.  My knots all held...just a damn rock cut my 20lb braid. 

Admittedly a creative string of cuss words followed.  It would have been the largest (or strongest) fish of my life, which includes saltwater fishing.  

...another fish story, but as they say “the tug is the drug”. 

I did see 3 salmon caught whilst there. 

Now I need a beer.  🍺 

Could’ve snagged a salmon, not much of a chance of landing one then. 

On 10/2/2019 at 4:08 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Could’ve snagged a salmon, not much of a chance of landing one then. 

I agree!  Snagged a 2 or 3 pound walleye this summer trolling and I thought I was reeling in a sturgeon only to see it was a little walleye I was reeling in sideways!

1 hour ago, Mbocco said:

Naw.  The head shakes were noticeable.  

Give yer heads a shake ....it was a carp ....   :D

Some big lunge in there too ...

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Give yer heads a shake ....it was a carp ....   :D

Some big lunge in there too ...

Noooooo!   I’m sticking with the original story.  It was a large fresh salmon, his first day back to the pool from the big water.  

Archived