Boats on the Rec

smerchly

I don't see any reason why electric motors can't be used on the rec canal . I agree with not allowing fast boats , jet skis or other high speed vehicles  on the water but a canoe with an electric is not a danger to anyone .  Why can't the public (anglers) share this waterway too ?

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/9627174-council-sinks-request-to-return-boats-to-welland-recreational-canal/

I'd be all for a speed limit on the Rec.  Whether it be a "No Wake" zone or 10 km/h or something along those lines to keep the skiers off the water. That would also alleviate the stated concerns of noise pollution. Though in reality I think it's just that the rowers want to keep as many fishermen out of there as possible so they can continue to keep it for themselves.

I also thought the argument of keeping invasive species out was laughable ( I actually laughed out loud when I read it in the article). Obviously these folks have never fished in there before. It's loaded with gobys and rudd already. Haha!

1 hour ago, yakfish said:

it's just that the rowers want to keep as many fishermen out of there as possible so they can continue to keep it for themselves.

We had the same problem at Martindale pond when the rowing club decided they wanted us off "their" waters . 

We "compromised" and kept our long established rights to use canoes & yaks there .

They will come up with any lame excuse to keep anglers off the rec .  ...apparently fishing isn't a "recreational" sport ..

Archived