Port D Circus

deetch

Wow, took a drive to port yesterday and the west side is totally under construction and all the fishing spots are gone. The east side (old rookers ) area is fenced off from the life ring to the end of the pier travelling south. I guess fishing there is done for awhile until they fix the damage I am guessing.

Chalk it up to progress deech ,   the west side may not be open to anglers after the new buildings are done ....parking spots may not be available for us . Maybe some parking at the new pavilion and open to fish the west pier again hopefully . They are digging up the bottom of the harbour  and I have found a lot more junk and rock has been dug up ....never had so many snags on bottom there before .....sometime next year the east side "renovations" will begin . 

People are still fishing the west side from the walkway bridge.  They were hooking up multiple times per hour Saturday morning. A buddy would illegally hop the fence at the base of the bridge to net the unlucky salmon who was likely gutted for her roe. 

32 minutes ago, deetch said:

Cliff, finally us boat guys can fish Port D without getting harassed or lead thrown at us.

The lead bullets were flying from east to west  .   No change this year as the east wall is still armed ......may have to use your cannon balls ,,,

23 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Isent therr still a small section on the east side that shore guys can fish? It was open two weeks ago when I was there

The Rooker's Rd.area is still open  to the dam  fence line and as far south to the Game & Fish ramp , then open from the white club house to the lighthouse .Lots of room for boats on weekends on the west side . During the week the barges are working the west side , wear ear muffs . 

Carp are in all parts of the Martindale pond system Tyler . That includes Rennie Park where I have caught carp lately . Guys also fished below the dam and caught carp in the harbour  , marina and Lake O. from the piers .  If you can , send me the link to the video , would like to see where they fished.

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

Carp are in all parts of the Martindale pond system Tyler . That includes Rennie Park where I have caught carp lately . Guys also fished below the dam and caught carp in the harbour  , marina and Lake O. from the piers .  If you can , send me the link to the video , would like to see where they fished.

I’ll try and find it. They were fishing the east side of the harbour wall near the end.red dot marks the spot. 

38C4940A-3D56-450F-BD9B-DD25A8E3AD3F.png

They still fish there a lot using worms and minnows . I have seen many species of fish caught there over the years , like cats, perch , bass , , trout , etc. Most of the carp fishing was done on the opposite side at Lockhart point ...big carp were always there before they changed the old docks to the new ones.  There may be a few sail boats docked in that spot with the red dot Tyler , but it will soon be wide open there .

I just got back from Gibby ....verrrry breezy , so I went to a spot that was more windless ...an old spot where I might pick up a grass carp ...   :wub:

Water viz was a little fuzzy and was about 6-7 feet deep . Started with oat - corn pack bait with corn puff  after using same to chum .

After an hour of no bites , I chummed with maize & used a hair rig with maize .

About 30 min. later ....need to pee....  :o.....walked about 6' from the rod ...unzipped .....and ding -a-ling !!!  Alarm bells rang !! 

Good thing I set the alarm on high alert in the windy conditions !

She/he didn't put up a big fuss ...one nice jump , then came in quietly to my waiting net .....gave it another 30 min. & off to home .

Carp went about 8 lbs. ...looked healthy ...nice to see particularly in that spot ....

Gibb Carp.jpg

L.Gib.carp.jpg

40 minutes ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

I remember when Ken Longpre caught the Canadian record carp at Lockhart pt in the early 90s..

Jerry Barnet  (SCGFA) used to fish for carp there also . Going back to the 50's,   big eels were caught in the harbour as well . 

I hope we will have access to that area after the buildings are finished ......:Gonefishing:

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

They still fish there a lot using worms and minnows . I have seen many species of fish caught there over the years , like cats, perch , bass , , trout , etc. Most of the carp fishing was done on the opposite side at Lockhart point ...big carp were always there before they changed the old docks to the new ones.  There may be a few sail boats docked in that spot with the red dot Tyler , but it will soon be wide open there .

I just got back from Gibby ....verrrry breezy , so I went to a spot that was more windless ...an old spot where I might pick up a grass carp ...   :wub:

Water viz was a little fuzzy and was about 6-7 feet deep . Started with oat - corn pack bait with corn puff  after using same to chum .

About 30 min. later ....need to pee....  :o.....walked about 6' from the rod ...unzipped .....and ding -a-ling !!!  Alarm bells rang !! 

She/he didn't put up a big fuss ...one nice jump , then came in quietly to my waiting net .....gave it another 30 min. & off to home .

Carp went about 8 lbs. ...looked healthy ...nice to see particularly in that spot ....

Gibb Carp.jpg

L.Gib.carp.jpg

Nice carp smerch. I’m dying to get out. My truck has been out of service since Monday. Get it back tomorrow and I’m spending the evening/night fishing. 900 for a starter installed and I just spent 900 on and alternator/oil change a month ago. Joys of owning a Nissan pick up. Everything is so pricy but I’ll buy anouther one in a heartbeat. 

23 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Jerry Barnet  (SCGFA) used to fish for carp there also . Going back to the 50's,   big eels were caught in the harbour as well . 

I hope we will have access to that area after the buildings are finished ......:Gonefishing:

I think we’ll be able to fish that side when their done. Parking on the other hand might not be so good.

3 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

There is a huge sailboat where the red dot is and I was told is staying there for the winter. That takes up a huge amount of prime space which is actually my favourite section to fish in Port D.

I seen that boat the last time I was there. It’s massive and takes up a huge section.  Take it out of the water like everyone else does....

10 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I think we’ll be able to fish that side when their done. Parking on the other hand might not be so good.

Parking may be metered , traffic gridlocked , may be cheaper to take a bus or Uber in .....

8 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

I seen that boat the last time I was there. It’s massive and takes up a huge section.  Take it out of the water like everyone else does....

It doesn't freeze there so they may leave it rather than pay the $$$ to lift it out and have it wrapped .

8 hours ago, smerchly said:

Gibb Carp.jpg

L.Gib.carp.jpg

Smerch , just think how many carp you would catch if you drank a couple of gallons of water every time while fishing  , every time you pee you would get one on :P , seen some white caps out there today west side of Beaver dams , some good wind gust today, was that your Astro parked on beaver dams ? 

T'was I ,  fishing right beside the Astro  .  I could sit in the van and see the rod  from the side door seat .  I don't drink much of anything while fishing  lol  , maybe a juice box or grab a coffee after a few hours of fishing . Those carp must be watching me ........

On 10/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, cplummer said:

Bring the boat time :)

I like cliffs idea..been quite a few years since I put any real effort in to fishing the harbor 

Archived